ARCADIA Specific Question Discussion

Old college threads.
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

ARCADIA Specific Question Discussion

Post by Heiliger Dankgesang »

Please discuss specific questions in this thread.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
Nurostep
Lulu

Re: ARCADIA Specific Question Discussion

Post by Nurostep »

Hello everyone!

I really enjoyed the set as a whole, but there was one question that stuck out to me while I was playing the set this past Saturday. The auditory fine arts tossup on Poland felt much easier than the rest of the auditory fine arts, and the rest of the set in general. Both the clue about Chopin's Variations on "La ci darem la mano" and the anecdote about Schumann's response to it seem too early for this difficulty. People may disagree with my opinion on this, but I felt it was worth notifying you guys in case others have the same opinion.

I enjoyed the overall fine arts (and auditory fine arts) written for this set. There were some very cool ideas (shout-out for the throat singing tossup especially), just wanted to express this!
All of our buzzes can become powers if we have the courage to neg.
Sinecio Morales
(Rockford) Auburn HS '23
Johns Hopkins University '27
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

Re: ARCADIA Specific Question Discussion

Post by Heiliger Dankgesang »

Nurostep wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:34 pm Hello everyone!

I really enjoyed the set as a whole, but there was one question that stuck out to me while I was playing the set this past Saturday. The auditory fine arts tossup on Poland felt much easier than the rest of the auditory fine arts, and the rest of the set in general. Both the clue about Chopin's Variations on "La ci darem la mano" and the anecdote about Schumann's response to it seem too early for this difficulty. People may disagree with my opinion on this, but I felt it was worth notifying you guys in case others have the same opinion.

I enjoyed the overall fine arts (and auditory fine arts) written for this set. There were some very cool ideas (shout-out for the throat singing tossup especially), just wanted to express this!
I'm not so sure that the La ci darem la mano and Schumann's response clues are placed too early within the Poland tossup, but since I wanted to err on the side of being more generous with powermarking for my questions in this set, it's quite possible that I misjudged where the power break should be and that the clues seem early because of that. (Power currently ends right after the Schumann clue.) Either way, that's still a good buzz, and I'll take a look at the question for future mirrors. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the music overall! :)
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF