Fictional streets used multiple times

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Kyle
Auron

Fictional streets used multiple times

Post by Kyle »

I found myself wondering something, and it occurred to me that the quiz bowl enthusiasts of the world could, collectively, think up an answer. Specifically, this is the situation. I am about to teach a class in which my students will be discussing three chapters from Albert Memmi's The Pillar of Salt, which is a largely autobiographical novel in which the main character grows up on "Tarfoune Street" in Tunis. Tarfoune Street is fictional, but Memmi subsequently used it in other novels to be the home of other characters. So my question is this: can you think of other examples of fictional streets that have been used by the same author in multiple unrelated works of fiction?
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Fictional streets used multiple times

Post by Stained Diviner »

I don't know whether this counts as a road or as unrelated, but Faulkner used many of the same locations in many of his novels, such as Jefferson Square, which has a few roads leading from it. Do Faulkner and Hardy count, or are their novels considered related?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Sure, I suppose that does count. I guess it's all a judgment call just because, any time an author puts effort into building a world of some kind, people will inevitably say that one book is a sequel of the other or somesuch. In this case, while the street is fictional, the city of Tunis is very much real. I ask this question in the context of trying to explain to a group of the current generation of extremely literal-minded college students where this street is. They ask, inevitably, "How can you show us where this street is when it is fictional?" I suppose this is also true of, say, Yoknapatawpha County, which is also fictional, and yet I could pull it up on Google Street View and give you a pretty good sense of what it looks like today.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Kyle wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:38 pm Sure, I suppose that does count. I guess it's all a judgment call just because, any time an author puts effort into building a world of some kind, people will inevitably say that one book is a sequel of the other or somesuch. In this case, while the street is fictional, the city of Tunis is very much real. I ask this question in the context of trying to explain to a group of the current generation of extremely literal-minded college students where this street is. They ask, inevitably, "How can you show us where this street is when it is fictional?" I suppose this is also true of, say, Yoknapatawpha County, which is also fictional, and yet I could pull it up on Google Street View and give you a pretty good sense of what it looks like today.
This feels like a very specific type of worldbuilding where the author creates a fictional world largely as a surrogate for an IRL place or some combination of them. I guess another easy example would be Harran in Cities of Salt?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/