MRNA VACCINE Playtest Mirror [15 January 2022]

Old college threads.
meebles127
Tidus

MRNA VACCINE Playtest Mirror [15 January 2022]

Post by meebles127 »

I am happy to announce that there will be an online playtest mirror of MRNA VACCINE on 15 January 2022. Further details about the set can be found here.

Please direct any questions about this tournament to me at vef2jj [AT] virginia [DOT] edu or post in this thread.

Time:

This tournament will be held on 15 January 2022 on Discord, with Round 1 beginning at 10:00 am Eastern Time. A link to the tournament server will be sent to all registered teams during the week of the tournament.

Rules:

This tournament will use ACF’s gameplay rules, with their addenda for the inclusion of powermarks and any necessary modifications for online quizbowl.

Eligibility:

This tournament is open to all “open” players (that is, players not currently affiliated with any academic institution), as well as to any closed collegiate teams from MRNA VACCINE host schools comprised of players who will staff or otherwise not play said institutions’ mirrors of MRNA VACCINE. We anticipate having collegiate mirrors throughout the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.

To register for this tournament, please email me at vef2jj [AT] virginia [DOT] edu with "MRNA Playtest" in the subject line.

I'll post a spreadsheet for free agent sign-up on Wednesday, November 3.

This tournament’s field will be capped at 12 teams.

Payment:

The fee for this tournament will be $80 per team. Payment by Venmo or PayPal is preferred; if this does not work for you, please contact me and another form of payment can be arranged.

Code of Conduct:

The MRNA VACCINE production team is committed to fostering a safe and welcoming environment for everyone. All players and staff will be required to affirm a Code of Conduct prior to this tournament in order to participate in it.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Re: MRNA VACCINE Playtest Mirror [15 January 2022]

Post by Smuttynose Island »

When will the free agent sign up sheet be posted?
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Smuttynose Island wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:28 pm When will the free agent sign up sheet be posted?
When I wake up tomorrow.

Team formation spreadsheet is now available here.
Em Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
msarma
Lulu

Post by msarma »

Do we still need to email to register if we put our names on the sign-up sheet?
Manas Sarma
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2012-2016
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

msarma wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:47 pm Do we still need to email to register if we put our names on the sign-up sheet?
Yes
Em Gunter

msarma
Lulu

Post by msarma »

Oh, okay. I emailed you on the 13 to express my interest. Did you have a chance to see it?
Manas Sarma
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

msarma wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:33 pm Oh, okay. I emailed you on the 13 to express my interest. Did you have a chance to see it?
I did, and I thought I had responded, apologies for that. You are currently on the free-agent list. You would not register until you sort yourself into a team, or when the date of the tournament draws nearer, and I send an email to all free-agents telling y'all to decide on a team or be put on a team.
Em Gunter

msarma
Lulu

Post by msarma »

Thank you: I put myself on the free agents list to be safe. I have no teammates, so you can place me on a team. Thank you for your help, and I’m looking forward to the tournament!
Manas Sarma
msarma
Lulu

Post by msarma »

meebles127 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:34 pm I am happy to announce that there will be an online playtest mirror of MRNA VACCINE on 15 January 2022. Further details about the set can be found here.

Please direct any questions about this tournament to me at vef2jj [AT] virginia [DOT] edu or post in this thread.

Time:

This tournament will be held on 15 January 2022 on Discord, with Round 1 beginning at 10:00 am Eastern Time. A link to the tournament server will be sent to all registered teams during the week of the tournament.

Rules:

This tournament will use ACF’s gameplay rules, with their addenda for the inclusion of powermarks and any necessary modifications for online quizbowl.

Eligibility:

This tournament is open to all “open” players (that is, players not currently affiliated with any academic institution), as well as to any closed collegiate teams from MRNA VACCINE host schools comprised of players who will staff or otherwise not play said institutions’ mirrors of MRNA VACCINE. We anticipate having collegiate mirrors throughout the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.

To register for this tournament, please email me at vef2jj [AT] virginia [DOT] edu with "MRNA Playtest" in the subject line.

Payment:

The fee for this tournament will be $80 per team. Payment by Venmo or PayPal is preferred; if this does not work for you, please contact me and another form of payment can be arranged.

Code of Conduct:

The MRNA VACCINE production team is committed to fostering a safe and welcoming environment for everyone. All players and staff will be required to affirm a Code of Conduct prior to this tournament in order to participate in it.
Hi, Em: I’ve signed up under a team and emailed you to let you know. What’s your Venmo handle so that I can submit my team’s payment?
Manas Sarma
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

msarma wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:38 pm
meebles127 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:34 pm I am happy to announce that there will be an online playtest mirror of MRNA VACCINE on 15 January 2022. Further details about the set can be found here.

Time:

Rules:

Eligibility:

Payment:

Code of Conduct:

Hi, Em: I’ve signed up under a team and emailed you to let you know. What’s your Venmo handle so that I can submit my team’s payment?
Payment will be collected at a time closer to the tournament date.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Due to unforeseen circumstances involving Sunday's snowstorm I will not be able to TD this tournament. As such, Chandler West will be TDing. Please direct any day-of concerns to them.

Additionally, we are still looking for an additional team to sign up to round out our field.
Em Gunter

Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

Logistics email:

Hello all,

This is the logistics email for tomorrow's playtest mirror of MRNA VACCINE. We've worked really hard on the set and look forward to (and thank) all of you getting to play it tomorrow. The tournament will take place via Zoom (using buzzin.live) and have a Discord server for backend announcements. That server can be found here: [redacted]. When you join the server there will be an honor pledge to abide by, please type something saying that you agree to abide by it. In general, don't cheat and respect your fellow players and staffers.

FORMAT: Assuming that the current 10th team of Free Agents is okay playing with 2 (or gets more players between now and tomorrow morning), we will run a 10 team round robin over 9 rounds, with a lunch break somewhere in the middle. There will be an advantaged final if necessary, and I'm sure we will be happy to read unused packets to teams if one doesn't happen. If we end up with only 9 teams the format won't change much, we'll just have byes.

PAYMENT: This tournament is $80/team, except for the Free Agent team which can pay $10/player for helping to round out the field at the last minute. Please pay me at @ChandlerWest1 on Venmo or [email protected] on PayPal.

TIMING: This tournament will start at about 9AM Central time. Please be in Discord a little bit before, where you'll be able to find the Zoom link and schedule. We'll have a quick player meeting before moving to Zoom.

Additionally, please forward this email to your teammates.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
msarma
Lulu

Post by msarma »

Hello: my email address is [email protected]. I think I forgot to provide it as I never received this email in my inbox. Can you please send it so I can pass it along to my teammates? Thank you, and so sorry for my negligence.
Manas Sarma