Like MUSES II, this set will consist of packets of 20 powermarked tossups. We will be producing ~9 packets (subject to change based on how many ideas we come up with). The writing and editing team will consist of Will Alston, Ethan Ashbrook, William Golden, Matthew Lehmann, Caroline Mao, Mitch McCullar, Jonathen Settle, and myself with freelanced contributions from some prior MUSES contributors (in this vein if you would like to contribute some questions to MUSES III let me know and we can discuss it).
We are considering doing "super-powers" (aka powers worth more than 15 points) but this is TBD. We are also open to alternative scoring systems since we believe that whimsical events like this are among the better places to experiment with formatting and scoring. Once the set production is more underway we will make a final decision on this. We will be utilizing super powers and a 30:20:10:-5 scoring system.
If you are interested in mirroring this set, please let me know at bamclai AT utexas DOT edu.
The distribution will once again take on 2 tossups for each of the nine title Muses plus 2 tossups from the mythology of the greater Mediterranean. As with last time, the distro has been tweaked to maintain viability and to allow for the authors to indulge our worst ideas explore lesser asked areas.
The distro will specifically be:
2 Calliope (Epics)
- .66 ancient and national epics
- .66 literary epics
- .66 other epic content or more of the above
- 1 Greco-Roman history from before ~500 CE
- 1 non-Greco Roman history from before ~500 CE
- 1 Classical/western art music
- .5 Other art music or "world" music
- .5 Pop music
- 1 Science
- .5 Pre-modern astronomy (such as astrology, archaeoastronomy, etc)
- .5 Cultural depictions of astronomy/outer space
- 1 Liturgy/religious hymns (broadly construed)
- 1 Poetic/non-religious hymns (broadly construed)
- 1 Drama
- 1 Other comedy or more drama
- 1 Drama
- 1 Other tragedy or more drama
- 1 Love poetry
- 1 "other love" (essentially depictions of romance in film/drama/etc) or more poetry
- 1 Western art dance
- .5 "World" or folk dance
- .5 Pop culture dances
- 1 Greco-Roman
- 1 Myth from the greater Mediterranean region