JCD III - January 8th

Old college threads.
bradleykirksey
Wakka

JCD III - January 8th

Post by bradleykirksey »

Well, two years after we initially tried to get it finished, we've got rooms and everything together and we're excited to do JCD III at Lake Minneola High School on January 8th. It's, shockingly, the third in a series of tournaments and is roughly going to be a continuation of this: https://trash.quizbowlpackets.com/2456/

Peter and I have written
3.5/3.5 TV
3.5/3.5 Sports
3.5/3.5 Music
3.5/3.5 Film
2/2 Games
2/2 Other Trash
.5/.5 Trash Lit
1.5/1.5 Mixed/Misc

Last time, we had fun invoking "lame" and "hold" rules (https://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Lame) and we're planning on doing it again if there isn't a huge outcry or pushback. For anyone who's interesting in mirroring, we don't care if you keep that mechanism or not. But it gives you plenty of spares if you don't like a certain bonus.

We're looking to charge
$90 per team
-$10 for each staffer provided by a team
-$5 for bringing a buzzer
-$30 for a two or one person team

If you need help forming or finding a team, let me know. If you want to register a team, let me know. If you want to play but can only cobble together $88 dollars, let me know. You can probably best reach me at Bradleykirksey [at] Yahoo [dot] com or the obviously email equivalent to that.

We've had fun mirroring this before, and we're always willing to remove some of the Florida/SEC country/USA-centric stuff (that we can see at least) if it helps. Let us know if you'd be interested in mirroring at the same email above.

It's been mothballed for years, but we're really excited! It's been a while, but I'm always looking forward to seeing people from this circuit! I'm looking forward to it and I hope you are too!
Last edited by bradleykirksey on Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
Cheynem
Sin

Re: JCD III

Post by Cheynem »

Is there no film and less than 20 tossups or is that a misprint?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Re: JCD III

Post by bradleykirksey »

Cheynem wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:02 pm Is there no film and less than 20 tossups or is that a misprint?
I thought it would be fun to just have half of a tossup in each pack. "Can't get it by the end of power? No points for anyone!"

As, as a distressing harbinger of things to come, that was a misprint. Thanks for that catch!
Bradley Kirksey
BabeRuthOfCollegeBowl
Kimahri

Re: JCD III - January 8th

Post by BabeRuthOfCollegeBowl »

I'm available to fill a team. Thanks, Brad! We've missed this.
Brian Clouse, MIT 1980
"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

I'd consider flying down for this if there was a way I could get a ride from Orlando Airport.
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

BabeRuthOfCollegeBowl wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:46 pm I'm available to fill a team. Thanks, Brad! We've missed this.
Hey Brian! It's been a while! It's been a while! It'll be fun to see you again, I'm glad you're still around.

nicole. wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:54 pm I'd consider flying down for this if there was a way I could get a ride from Orlando Airport.
We can definitely figure that out for you if that's a determining factor. Just let us know!
Bradley Kirksey
jordan.davidsen
Lulu

Post by jordan.davidsen »

Do we have any additional logistics for this tournament? Location, time, field, information about lunch, things like that? Trying to formalize my team.
jordan davidsen (he/him)
yale '24
communications, acf
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

I think we're aiming for 9:30 check-in and a 10:00 start. We'll check in at room 288. It's building 1, and the main parking lot, the north lot, is probably the best place to park. We'll probably, I guess, aim for lunch after round 3. The high school is at 101 N Hancock road, Minneola, FL 34715.

I need to pester people about signing up, there are a lot of people I'd assume are interested I haven't heard from, but at the moment I'm expecting 5 teams.

Jordan Davidson et al
Toejam and Earl and the Dying Girl
UF
Sizemores et al
His Cheeseburger (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)
Saint Stephens
Bradley Kirksey
nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

nicole. wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:54 pm I'd consider flying down for this if there was a way I could get a ride from Orlando Airport.
just to lyk this fell through due to omicron concerns, sorry
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

nicole. wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:38 pm
just to lyk this fell through due to omicron concerns, sorry
Sorry to hear that, Nicole, that's sad but I totally get the concern! Air travel is scary right now. Stay safe.

Two people have reached out to me because they saw Nicole's message and thought that might have meant that the tournament fell through due to omicron concerns. Just to clarify, that's not the case, Nicole's travel plans fell through. Barring anything from school admin in the next couple of days, we're planning on being there!
Bradley Kirksey
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Congrats to Lepidoptera Leopard Opera (Mickey Sizemore, Travis Justice Sizemore, Casey Bindas, and the ghost of Zach Foster) who went 9-0, and posted a +243 per-game margin in the prelims. There were some good teams in the field but this one was just a joy to watch! Also a congrats to Harley Andrew, who led the field in PPG (93) and powers (16) through 6 prelim games played. Thanks so much to Jason Kwong for hosting, Peter for actually ensuring this thing got written, and everyone who came out to play or staff. It was a genuine joy seeing each of you before I leave, and I promise that I'm not saying that lightly.

Stats will be up when I get a chance to compile everything. Tomorrow should be wildly hectic, so I'm assuming it'll be some time Monday! Maybe like 51 PM Monday, but you know...

As a shameless plug, we're always glad to mirror this for other sites and plenty happy to add/subtract regional content to help make it happen! Let us know. There were no more than 50 or 60 tossups with the answers "alligator" or "getting a DUI on a riding lawn mower" or "crystal meth" or "wearing socks over your sandals" or "Publix" so it shouldn't be too hard to de-Florida it!
Bradley Kirksey
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Looks like there hasn't been a ton of major interest in mirroring after that last site. Final offer-- we'll be willing to give it out cheap if you want to mirror this after some tournament or at practice before it gets uploaded to the packet archives.

Otherwise, we're planning on uploading this in a week or two!
Bradley Kirksey
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'd definitely play an online mirror of this if someone's interested in running one.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Would anyone want to run this post-ICT?
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

For the record, we strongly discourage side events from taking place at our 2022 national championships (and will not allow the use of tournament game rooms or meeting rooms for that purpose).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred