Rhythm Heaven [video game music, hopefully Spring 2022]

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Rhythm Heaven [video game music, hopefully Spring 2022]

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

This is the announcement for Rhythm Heaven, a video game based audio tournament to be held somewhere sometime during Spring 2022 (or even Summer 2022). This tournament is a collaboration between myself and Charles "Stompy" H., a fellow video game enthusiast.

Format:
Most if not all questions consist of 4-6 clues written in a mostly pyramidal fashion, although early/mid clue difficulty may feel interchanged depending on your age. I am an old, so I may have a different view on the difficulty gradients than you young whippersnappers. Fair warning. Questions are on the lengthy side for an event of this type - I guesstimate that they average a little over 90 seconds apiece. New to this event is a 20/15/10 structure to questions. 20 point buzzes will probably be few and far between but ultimately very satisfying! Questions should be 15able for the most part. Stompy and I have rather different tastes in video games, which has made for a rather diverse set to this point. Hard topics exist in this set, however most questions are accessible. There exist JRPG-only music questions, however they are way more sprinkled in than you would expect given that I am one of the primary writers. As it turns out, I play other games too! Who knew. The set is rather broad in my opinion. EDIT: Tiebreakers added.

Distribution:
There is no set distribution as I didn't want it to impose one. Doing so may have created unnecessary boundaries that hindered the writers' creativity. Question types include "name the game/series/developer/publisher", "name the console", "name the location", so on and so forth, with a few composer questions and a few other types of questions sprinkled in as well.

Fees:
This hasn't been discussed as of the announcement, however I don't imagine this set will be expensive to play.

Mirrors:
ICT: 4/1/23. viewtopic.php?t=26820
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Re: Rhythm Heaven [video game music, hopefully Spring 2022]

Outside of checking to make sure that all of the tossups are in the right place, Rhythm Heaven has been completed.

EDIT: tiebreakers added 3/26/23
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Brandon Jones
Lulu

Post by Brandon Jones »

What's the progress on this set?
Brandon Jones
Lake Zurich 2015-19
Alabama 2019-23
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Brandon Jones wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:44 pm What's the progress on this set?
At this moment in time, the event consists of six 20-tossup packets, most of which are 5-6 clues long. There may be a few shorter ones in there that could be beefed up a little. Tiebreakers could be added at some point. Even if neither of those things are done, the set is playable. Each packet has one .pdf detailing the cluing and points as well as another with questions only so that the moderator could (with careful scrolling and the trust of the other players) play along.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
paris
Lulu

Post by paris »

Will there be an online mirror of this/will this be posted to the archive?
Crow He
UNC 2025
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

paris wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:54 am Will there be an online mirror of this/will this be posted to the archive?
I want to run an online mirror before releasing it. Admittedly I haven't thought about this in a good minute, though.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired