QBWiki editing competition

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Santa Claus
Rikku

QBWiki editing competition

Post by Santa Claus »

UPDATE: The format of this contest has changed - I will be splitting the prizes amongst those who have participated thus far and will restructure the remainder into a bounty system (to be detailed later).

FURTHER UPDATE: I've published a list of people who can ask me for money :)

Happy new year everyone. I have done a lot of work on the QBWiki in the last year or whatever, but I would like to encourage others to participate. I am announcing a year-long wiki editing competition, sponsored by myself. Participation will involving doing work on the wiki in a variety of categories. The winners of these categories are not exclusive, meaning that someone could win multiple (or all) of them. At the end of 2022 I will see who wins each category and distribute prizes; if I'm feeling up to it I may provide some mid-year updates as well. I will not be counting myself for any of these for obvious reasons.

Without further ado, here are the categories in this contest:
  1. creating the most new pages (tier 1 prize)
  2. creating the second most pages (tier 2 prize)
  3. creating the most pages for sets without one (tier 1 prize)
  4. creating the second most pages for sets without one (tier 2 prize)
  5. creating the most pages for side events without one (tier 2 prize)
  6. creating the most pages for tournaments without one (tier 1 prize)
  7. creating the second most pages for tournaments without one (tier 2 prize)
  8. creating the most pages for writers without one (tier 1 prize)
  9. creating the second most pages for writers without one (tier 2 prize)
  10. creating the most pages for teams without one (tier 1 prize)
  11. creating the second most pages for teams without one (tier 2 prize)
  12. contributing the most tournament results to the "Recent tournament results" (tier 2 prize)
  13. creating the most pages in the "Quizbowl concepts" category (tier 2 prize)
  14. contributing the most to the "QBWiki" space by writing internal documentation, organizing efforts, etc. (tier 1 prize)
  15. contributing the most to pages with the Intro box (tier 1 prize)
  16. contributing the most to pages with the Category box (tier 2 prize)
  17. contributing the most to pages with the Rules box (tier 2 prize)
  18. contributing the most to the Timeline of Quizbowl History and other pages about the history of quiz bowl (tier 1 prize)
Additionally, at the end of the year I will randomly visit 100 pages and take note of whoever has done the most recent change on each, skipping any that haven't been updated in 2022 - the five users who top the list will receive tier 2 prizes.

Some caveats:
  • I have no idea what I'm allowed to give away/advertise giving away on the forums so the exact nature + value of prizes will be determined at a future date. They will be non-trivial.
  • Any newly-created page will have to reach some minimum standard of "fleshed-out" and of quality. I recommend checking a page you think to be well-written and use it as a reference to get an idea of the structure and formatting involved.
  • Each of these categories has a link to a page as a reference. In each case, participants are not limited to what currently exists on those pages but should be aware that those pages will likely form the core of how the category will be judged. For example, the list of sets without pages is incomplete (especially with regards to high school sets) and you are welcome to create a page for a set that is not currently listed on the page - however, it is strongly recommended that you then update the page to reflect your contribution to avoid it being missed.
  • The goal of this contest is to improve the wiki - please do not try to exploit your way into prizes, it will be very obvious.
Last edited by Santa Claus on Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
Santa Claus
Rikku

Re: QBWiki editing competition

Post by Santa Claus »

Updates:

1/17 - I've been informed by board administration that I can advertise cash prizes, so I'll set the tier 1 prize at $20 and the tier 2 at $10. This means there's a total of $310 up for grabs, spread across the myriad categories.

2/15 - thought I'd tabulate some numbers:

Code: Select all

Category          |    1st    |    2nd
-----------------------------------------------------
new pages                    |     6     |     4
    sets                     |     1     |     0
    side events              |     1     |     0
    tournaments              |     1     |     1
    writers                  |     1     |     1
    teams                    |     0     |     0
"Recent tournament results"  |     0     |     0
Note that the most page creations by any individual thus far is 6, which is really very low.

6/8 - Realized embarrassingly late that the format of the wiki's changes page will prevent me from checking contest progress in any straightforward manner. In light of that (and the relative lack of activity) I'm going to split the prizes among the participants up to this point and use the remainder to fund a bounty system. The details on this are forthcoming.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
Santa Claus
Rikku

Re: QBWiki editing competition

Post by Santa Claus »

As previously mentioned, the scope of this competition very quickly grew out of my (very small) hands - that being said, I still wish to reward those who helped contribute during the wiki during this time, regardless of whether they did so in the hopes of monetary reward.

I have split the $310 I offered in two and then divvyed it up roughly based on "page creations". I know this is only one of the criteria I purported to monitor, but so it goes - if you feel your contributions in other arenas justify you receiving compensation, feel free to state your case. All of the following people, please contact me via forum DM or at pandasmoothie AT gmail DOT com to receive the stated reward - I can do Venmo or PayPal (or check?!). If you defer your reward, it will be used as part of the bounties:

Code: Select all

Person         Monies
-----------------------------
Zac Bennett        15
Reilly Melville    15           
Ethan Ashbrook     15  
Matt Jackson       10
Matt Weiner        10                                     
Eric Yin           10     
Jonathan Shauf     5  
Gary Wang          5                          
Chlo Spinks        5         
Ganon Evans        5            
Jacob O'Rourke     5                                
Mark Davis         5           
Cody Voight        5            
David Reinstein    5                
George Tagtmeier   5                 
Henry Atkins       5             
Jonah Greenthal    5                
Jonathan Lau       5             
Madeleine Lay      5              
Ryan Ritter        5            
Tracey Hickman     5            
Clark Smith        5            
As previously mentioned, I intend to build up a "bounty" system: the intention is to associate a cash value with various specific tasks, with the hopes that it will encourage the same sorts of contribution but be much simpler to implement and keep track of than this competition. Keep an eye out.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion