NAQT SCT at UMN (2/5/22)

Old college threads.
Apocolocyntora
Rikku

NAQT SCT at UMN (2/5/22)

Post by Apocolocyntora »

The University of Minnesota is proud to announce the North mirror of the 2022 NAQT Sectional Championship Tournament on Saturday, February 5, 2022. We currently plan for this tournament to be in-person and will announce any changes to this by January 22.

This tournament will take place in Nicholson Hall (216 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455). We recommend the Church Street Parking Garage.

Fees and Discounts:

$145 base fee for the first team from a school; $120 for second or subsequent teams

-$10 discount per working buzzer system (must accommodate at least eight players)
-$40 discount per experienced moderator
-$20 discount (per team) for schools new to quizbowl (neither competed in nor hosted SCT or ICT in 2020 or 2021)
-$20 discount (per team) for teams that travel 60 or more miles one-way (distance measured from your campus to Minnesota by Google Maps)

Payment

Due to changes in the way the University of Minnesota handles finances for student groups, teams will receive an invoice from the University (not UMN Quizbowl) after the tournament has taken place. Invoices may be paid electronically or by cash.

Registration

This tournament will use NAQT's online registration system. Please register here.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email [email protected].
Tora (she/her/hers)
Wayzata '18
Minnesota '22 (President, '20-'22)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: NAQT SCT at UMN (2/5/22)

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Quick results, from memory:

DI
1. Minnesota A
2. Iowa A
3. Carleton A
4. Iowa State A
5. NMU A
6. Minnesota B

DII
1. Minnesota C
2. Minnesota D
3.-8. others!

Full stats will be up tomorrow.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
shar2931
Lulu

Post by shar2931 »

A quick congrats to Joe Kammann for the Herculean stat line of 7/31/34 in the morning
Shardul Rao (he/him)
University of Minnesota '25
Mounds View High School '21
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

shar2931 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:01 pm A quick congrats to Joe Kammann for the Herculean stat line of 7/31/34 in the morning
Just wait until you see his full-day stats!
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

As promised, stats are here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/7314/

I'd especially like to thank everyone who came out to staff, but I'd ESPECIALLY like to thank Bernadette Spencer, whose willingness to sit in a room all day doing stats helped the tournament run extremely efficiently.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
VelarApproximant
Lulu

Post by VelarApproximant »

shar2931 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:01 pm A quick congrats to Joe Kammann for the Herculean stat line of 7/31/34 in the morning
Shame Cornell didn't play DI. I get at least 50% of my points off other people negging.

Excellent job, Joe. To neg 55 times and still get 420 points means you must know an insane amount of things. If ever a performance deserved a Hampshire College frisbee calendar or a misautographed L. Ron Hubbard book, it was yours.
Luke E. Henson
Colorado Early Colleges Aurora Class of 2021
Cornell College Class of 2025

Jack of all categories, indefatigable Jeopardy! viewer, goonerism spuru
VelarApproximant
Lulu

Post by VelarApproximant »

By the way, might I take a moment to brag on my teammates a bit?

My friends Matt Blaess and Chase Miller had never been to a Quiz Bowl practice. This was their first remotely-Quiz Bowl-related event. For unknown reasons they both agreed to join me on a 4-hour drive to Minnesota and do an activity they knew almost nothing about. I explained pyramidal questions/negs/tossups and bonuses on the drive from the hotel to the university.

With that in mind, their performances were phenomenal. Chase knew a great number of things, followed the questions very well, and buzzed very aggressively for a novice. Matt powered three questions and only negged once. Both directed good and even correct answers on bonuses multiple times while I was proposing absolutely stupid guesses. Also they had a great time and were delightful to be around, and helped with logistical things. Matt was our Navigator. Chase was our Reimbursement Receipt Czar. Chase also drove the rest of the way to Mount Vernon from Rochester and I got to sleep a bit.

That was probably our last tournament of the year but Matt and Chase have me feeling really, really good about next year.
Luke E. Henson
Colorado Early Colleges Aurora Class of 2021
Cornell College Class of 2025

Jack of all categories, indefatigable Jeopardy! viewer, goonerism spuru