2022 NAQT SCT at University of Virginia (2/5/22)

Old college threads.
Destructive Desmond
Lulu

2022 NAQT SCT at University of Virginia (2/5/22)

Post by Destructive Desmond »

The University of Virginia is proud to announce the Lower Mid-Atlantic mirror of the 2022 NAQT Sectional Championship Tournament on Saturday, February 5, 2022. We currently plan for this tournament to be in-person.

The tournament will be held in New Cabell Hall in Charlottesville. Parking information will be updated soon.

Fees and Discounts:

$145 base fee for the first team from a school; $120 for second or subsequent teams

-$10 discount per working buzzer system (must accommodate at least eight players)
-$40 discount per experienced moderator
-$20 discount (per team) for schools new to quizbowl (neither competed in nor hosted SCT or ICT in 2020 or 2021)
-$20 discount (per team) for teams that travel 60 or more miles one-way (distance measured from your campus to UVA by Google Maps)

Payment:

We accept Venmo (@DavidB256), Zelle ([email protected]), or check (made out to "Academic Competition Club at UVA").

This tournament will use NAQT's online registration system. Please register here.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact [email protected].

Field
DI: CMU A, JMU, Maryland A, UNC A, UNC B
DII: CMU B, CMU C, Liberty A, Liberty B, Liberty C, Maryland B, UNC B, GWU A, GWU B, GWU C, UNC C, UNC D, VCU A, VCU B, W&M A, W&M B
Last edited by Destructive Desmond on Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alana Dickey
Allderdice '19
UVA '23
FSU '25
she/her
DavidB256
Lulu

Re: 2022 NAQT SCT at UVA (2/5/22)

Post by DavidB256 »

We are currently expecting for this tournament to be in-person. UVA Event Planning has informally confirmed our request for rooms in New Cabell Hall and will formally grant us the reservation pending a response from another University office. In the extremely unlikely event that our reservation is not granted or in the event of inclement weather in the region, we will hold this tournament online via Discord.

We currently have five teams in the Division I field; we would love to get to a better number of teams before the registration deadline (Feb. 1). See the field here: https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... t_id=13166
David Bass (he)
Johns Hopkins University
University of Virginia '23
Jamestown High School '19
Member, PACE
henrygoff
Lulu

Re: 2022 NAQT SCT at University of Virginia (2/5/22)

Post by henrygoff »

Assuming the Division 1 field doesn't expand by Saturday, do you still plan on running a separate bracket with D1 questions for those 5 teams?
Henry Goff
Indian Springs '18
UNC '22
what are we waiting for, assembled in the forums?
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Yes- the divisions have separate fields as long as each one has at least four registered teams.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
henrygoff
Lulu

Post by henrygoff »

gotcha, thank you!
Henry Goff
Indian Springs '18
UNC '22
what are we waiting for, assembled in the forums?
DavidB256
Lulu

Post by DavidB256 »

We have had our room request granted by UVA Event Planning, so this tournament will be happening in-person on floors 2 and 3 of New Cabell Hall, given that the weather permits travel. The attached map has available parking circled in red and an entrance to the building marked with a pink star. All relevant information will also be emailed to attending teams on Thursday or Friday.

If our final count of DI teams remains a bad number, then we will likely ask one of the DII teams to step up to play in the DI bracket.

David Bass (he)
Johns Hopkins University
Member, PACE
DavidB256
Lulu

Post by DavidB256 »

A logistics email has been sent to all teams signed up for this tournament. Please contact me if no one on your team received an email from me one minute ago.
David Bass (he)
Johns Hopkins University
Member, PACE
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Stats for this tournament will be updated throughout the day and can be found here.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Congratulations to Maryland A for winning the Division I field after a 1-game final against UNC A!

Congratulations to William & Mary A for winning the Division II field after playing a disadvantaged final against George Washington A!

Congratulations to James Madison University for being our Undergraduate champions at this tournament!

Final stats will be posted tomorrow, unless I get a sudden burst of energy to do them tonight. Please email any stats corrections to me at vef2jj AT virginia DOT edu.

Thanks to everyone for coming out to this tournament. This was a wonderful day, and I finally feel as if I've proven myself as a quizbowl logistician, so thanks to everyone who was a part of that. Thanks to all UVA staffers for giving up their Saturday to staff, and to Matt Weiner as well.
Em Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Howemilton
Lulu

Post by Howemilton »

Fun tournament, thanks for hosting! Also big shoutout to GW A for an amazing three games of finals. Not gonna forget that for a while
Last edited by Howemilton on Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Howe
TJHSST 2014-2018
William & Mary 2018-2022
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

This was a great tournament.

Thanks to UVA, especially David and Em, for organizing. We got through 12 rounds and finals in D1 very quickly. David and Matt did a great job of moving the rooms along quickly and Em did a great job running the control room for both D1 and D2. I would also like to give a special shoutout to UNC A, who we had a thrilling 5 game series with! It was a lot of fun playing y'all
Last edited by Tippy Martinez on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
connor mayers
maryland
ezekiel
Lulu

Post by ezekiel »

Echoing what the others have said: Thanks for running a great tournament! Loved the printed schedules with the QR code for afternoon brackets/schedules. Also, kudos for making it work with all the new mods.
Gabriel C.

Duke-ish 2022-
CMU 2018-2022
MSJ/"Escobar" 2015-2018
witta99
Lulu

Post by witta99 »

Thank you for a great tournament! Everyone did an incredible job - that was about as smooth as I've ever seen 12 rounds of quizbowl. Kudos to Em for the great logistics/stats work and to David/Matt for putting up with my antics throughout the day. Looking forward to future trips to UVA!
Ryan Ritter
HHS '19, James Madison '22.5
Founder, JMU Quizbowl
Member, PACE
DavidB256
Lulu

Post by DavidB256 »

I'm going to make yet another post to talk about our excellent staffers. Maria and Ben were awesome first-time staffers, despite the facts that each of them has only ever played one quizbowl tournament before. Jeffrey crashed his bike while heading into Grounds in the morning and still stayed until the very end of the day to read for DII finals. Kani showed up to staff despite being too busy to actually play quizbowl this semester. Neelav returned from semi-retirement after I convinced him to come staff during stats class. Matt Weiner is so ubiquitous in Mid-Atlantic quizbowl that I cannot fathom attending a tournament in the region without him also being there. Thanks to Alana and Em for co-organizing this tournament with me and thanks to Charlotte, Ian, Daniel, Luke, and Kenny for also being great, reliable staffers.
David Bass (he)
Johns Hopkins University
Member, PACE
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Quizbowl, I have literally never seen a more positive response towards a TD after a tournament. Reading the wealth of positive feedback made me want to cry, and I'm happy to see a shift towards more positive discourse.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I want to say thanks to Harry White for answering my panicked DM and helping me to figure out if we would need DII-seeding tiebreakers, you're a life-saver.

Full stats for both DI and DII are now available online. Please email vef2jj AT virginia DOT edu with any issues concerning the stats.
Em Gunter