CERES XM @ Waterville SHS (MEQBA) (3/12/22)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nicole.
Rikku

CERES XM @ Waterville SHS (MEQBA) (3/12/22)

Post by nicole. »

The Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance is excited to announce our third ever tournament and first in-person tournament, titled CERES XM (Collective Early Release Entry-level Set X Maine). The tournament will be held in person at Waterville Senior High School in Waterville, ME on Saturday, March 12th.

Format, Eligibility, and Questions
The tournament will consist of 5 preliminary rounds, a lunch break, 5 playoff rounds, and a final round. Check-in will be open between 8:15 and 8:45 AM. An opening meeting for staffers and players will be held at 8:45am, and the first round will begin promptly at 9:00am. A meeting for scoring prizes will be held either after the last playoff round. The last round is projected to end by 6pm. This tournament is not region locked, but we are not expecting any teams from outside New England. We do have the rule though that any player who has scored more than 2 powers a game at a tournament are not eligible for this specific tournament.

This tournament is open to those who are high school seniors or younger. All teams must consist of players from the same school. This tournament will use both tossups and bonuses, and will use CERES, a housewrite set of novice difficulty. The field is capped at 16 teams.

Payment Information
The base price for this tournament is $65 for the first team from each school and $65 for each additional team, with the following discounts:
-$40 penalty for every 2 teams brought without staff (if you bring 1 or 2 teams and no staff you will only be charged $40 penalty once)
-$15 per functioning lock-out buzzer system
-$20 per team for schools who have Title 1 status
-$15 distance discount (+0.25 for each additional mile) for teams over 150 miles from the tournament according to google maps.
The minimum payment is $45 per team.

Schools can pay for the tournament in any of the following ways:
-check made out to Nicholas Pruitt and given to the tournament directors on site
-credit card payment made via QuickBooks
-cash paid to the tournament directors on site
We will require teams to pay before the tournament begins. Teams who fail to pay for their registration before the tournament begins will not be allowed to play.

Registration
Register using this convenient google form.

Staffers
We need staffers. If you are an experienced quizbowl staffer and you can drive up to Waterville (Exit 127 on I-95 in Maine), please come and join us. Non-Team Staff will be paid $40 for the day and will get free pizza as well. As of now we're most likely using paper packets and scoresheets so electronic devices are not officially required but depending on the circumstances on the day of the tournament we may ask you to bring a laptop if you can.

Location and Food
The tournament will be held at Waterville Senior High School. For those driving in, use the address 1 Brooklyn Ave, Waterville, ME 04901.

Before the tournament starts, water, juice, and some bagels from Forage Market will be available free of charge. For lunch, we'll be bringing in pizza and cookies from The 27th Chip, which teams can pay for in advance. We will also work on having vegan options available for teams and staff who need it.

Announcements
We'll be doing pre-tournament announcements via email until about 3 days before. At that point we will use GroupSpot, the join info we'll send the week of.

COVID-19 Protocols
In accordance with AOS92 rules, all attendees of NEWT FM are required to be masked at all times while indoors, except when actively eating or drinking. In addition, as of now, we ask teams to wear KN95, N95, or KF94 masks throughout the tournament. I'm gonna order a stash that will be kept at a Tournament Utility Desk along with other essential supplies such as hand sanitizer, tampons/pads, and tissues. The tournament utility desk will be communal so don't hog the supplies from that desk.

Contact Information

The tournament directing team will consist of myself with assistance from Evan Lucca of Bowdoin College (former Yarmouth Quiz Bowl Captain). You can contact me at [email protected] or [email protected]

We look forward to seeing you in March in Waterville!
Last edited by nicole. on Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
nicole.
Rikku

Re: CERES XM @ Waterville SHS (MEQBA) (3/12/22)

Post by nicole. »

As nobody has signed up for this and NEWT is relatively hard given the newness of the Maine circuit, this tournament is now on CERES
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

Field:
Plymouth Regional (NH) (1)
Cape Elizabeth (ME) (1)
Brunswick (ME) (1)

Total: (3)

We get 4 teams by Tuesday night, the tourney is on. If not, AQBL is still a thing.
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

this got cancelled, as it turns out the mandate to transition to irl quiz bowl might not be as strong as i thought, who would have known
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21