College quizbowl stats website

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Jem Casey
Wakka

College quizbowl stats website

Post by Jem Casey »

Ryan's exciting announcement of the college quizbowl statistics database project prodded me to finally share a personal project in a similar vein. A couple years ago, I scraped all the college and open tournaments I could find on hsquizbowl.org (as well as some from neg5 and qbwiki) going back to 1995 and put the data into a MySQL database, and have since updated the data every few months, most recently to include tournaments up to and including last Saturday (1/22/22). I also built a web app for viewing the stats, which I've finally deployed. I'll link to both the database and the website below.

Does this mean that the college quizbowl statistics database project is redundant? Not at all; a dataset produced via documented, open source, and non-janky code with community involvement from the near start will almost inevitably be cleaner and more maintainable than what I've got. Similarly, the web app shares some features with the project's goal of a sports reference-style website--pages for the career stats of individuals, season and all-time leaderboards, etc.--but it's also just a React/GraphQL app I hacked together in 2020, and I expect it will share only the most superficial resemblance with a product that multiple experienced web developers are involved in from the start. This is just a stop gap until a more permanent home for quizbowl's historical data is created.

As you explore the data and the site, you'll almost certainly come across errors. For now, I'd like to collect reports via a google form, though you're also welcome to DM me on the forums, discord, messenger, etc. I'm not expecting to have time to add features to the website or fix major bugs in the next month or so, but will try to be responsive about egregious issues with player data in particular.

A dump of the MySQL database is available here, and the app can be accessed here: http://quizbowlstats.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com/ Enjoy!
Jordan Brownstein
UMD '17
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: College quizbowl stats website

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Jordan is being far too modest; this is really really good stuff and a high bar for another project to clear.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Excellent post, but I think the superplayoff stats from 2011 Nats are missing
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Jem Casey wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:12 am For now, I'd like to collect reports via a google form, ...
FYI, I just tried to use this form and it says it's only accessible to members of the owner's organization, so it looks like some settings may need to be tweaked to collect data with the form.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Jem Casey
Wakka

Post by Jem Casey »

alexdz wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:44 pm
Jem Casey wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:12 am For now, I'd like to collect reports via a google form, ...
FYI, I just tried to use this form and it says it's only accessible to members of the owner's organization, so it looks like some settings may need to be tweaked to collect data with the form.
Thank you Alex, should be fixed now!
Jordan Brownstein
UMD '17