Illinois Open at Maryland (3/12/22)

Old college threads.
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Illinois Open at Maryland (3/12/22)

Post by Tippy Martinez »

I am pleased to announce a mirror of Illinois Open, to be held in person at the University of Maryland on March 12th. More information on the set can be found here. Alex Echikson will serve as the TD on the day of the tournament.

Time and Location
This tournament will take place at Jimenez Hall. We will start registration at 8:30 am and will begin games at or around 9 am.

Registration
This tournament is completely open, meaning anyone can form teams. I've included a team formation spreadsheet here. Please note that to officially register, you should email me at [email protected]. In your email, please include who will (tentatively) be on your team, a team name if you have one, any discounts you choose to claim, and a phone number we can use to contact you on the day of the tournament.

Fees
Base Fee: $120 per team
Buzzers: -$10 per working buzzer system
Staffers: -$20 per competent staffer with a working laptop/charger

COVID Notes
Per university policy, we ask that everyone at this tournament be fully vaccinated and wear a mask at all times, preferably a KN95 or one of similar quality.
connor mayers
maryland
meebles127
Tidus

Re: Illinois Open at Maryland (3/12/22)

Post by meebles127 »

I'm hoping to staff this tournament, if anyone will be driving through or near Charlottesville and would be willing to detour to take me back to school after the tournament I would be very grateful. I am willing to contribute to the cost of gas. Feel free to reach out through email at vef2jj AT virginia DOT edu or other means.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

If there is interest, I'd also be willing to run a TELEOLOGY or ACRONYM mirror in conjunction with this tournament, whether it be late on Saturday or on Sunday.
connor mayers
maryland
msarma
Lulu

Post by msarma »

I’d be interested in playing an ACRONYM mirror.
Manas Sarma
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2012-2016
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

msarma wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:04 pm I’d be interested in playing an ACRONYM mirror.
As would I.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
anderson
Lulu

Post by anderson »

I would be interested in either TELEOLOGY or ACRONYM (though I'm more excited about TELEOLOGY), on Saturday or Sunday.
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16
msarma
Lulu

Post by msarma »

How many rounds will the tournament be? Will it be the standard 9 rounds?
Manas Sarma
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2012-2016
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

msarma wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:31 pm How many rounds will the tournament be? Will it be the standard 9 rounds?
This depends heavily on field size, but expect a minimum of 9 rounds.
connor mayers
maryland
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

I've added a tab on the spreadsheet to indicate interest in side events (TELEOLOGY and ACRONYM.) Please just put your name and email down in the column for each event that you are interested in. If you have a strong preference on when these events run, please let me know that as well (for reference, I have the rooms reserved for Sunday as well.)

In addition, I liked to get this field finalized by Thursday of next week, so if you are considering signing up I urge you to do so soon!
connor mayers
maryland
ObsidianFoot
Lulu

Post by ObsidianFoot »

The time has come for me to end my long pandemic-related absence from the DC-area quizbowl community. I am offering my services as a staffer for this tournament.

Also, have there been any changes to the COVID measures for this tournament, given new guidance from the CDC and new rules in the DMV area?
Charles Tian
University of Chicago, 2014

ACF Nationals 2013 Undergraduate Champion

"You should have seized power, Tian!" --Rob Carson, 2012 National History Bee and Bowl
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

ObsidianFoot wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:59 am The time has come for me to end my long pandemic-related absence from the DC-area quizbowl community. I am offering my services as a staffer for this tournament.

Also, have there been any changes to the COVID measures for this tournament, given new guidance from the CDC and new rules in the DMV area?
Hey Charles, I'd love to have you as a staffer. If you could just shoot me an email at cjmayers AT comcast DOT net so I have your contact info that would be great.

In terms of COVID measures, I still have to follow university polices, which currently say that people should be wearing KN95s in all "classroom settings." As such, players will be required to wear masks in all game rooms. Moderators will have the option to take off their masks while reading if they see fit.
connor mayers
maryland
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

At 6 teams registered, I'm going to close the field. Expect a logistics email later today.
connor mayers
maryland
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

Thanks to all the teams who came out to College Park in the crappy weather to play today! "circuit-luminaria" cleared the field to win the tournament. Full team and individual stats can be found here. If you notice any mistakes, please let myself or Connor know and they will be quickly corrected.

A huge thank you to Matt Bollinger, David Song, Graham Reid, and Charles Tian for helping staff this tournament and ensuring it ran smoothly and quickly. An additional shout out to the members of Commonwealth of Virginia and This Be the Verse that Tries Men's Souls, without whose buzzers this tournament could not have been played.
Alex Echikson
Richard Montgomery '16, University of Maryland '20
DavidB256
Lulu

Post by DavidB256 »

This tournament was run efficiently. Thanks to the organizers and staffers for making everything go smoothly.
David Bass (he)
Johns Hopkins University
University of Virginia '23
Jamestown High School '19
Member, PACE