Updating the "Quizbowl Research and Learning Resources" Document

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
TaylorH
Wakka

Updating the "Quizbowl Research and Learning Resources" Document

Post by TaylorH »

Hi all,

I have been working on updating and cleaning up the collaborative Quizbowl Research and Learning Resources Google Document. For those of you who don't know, this is a list of useful resources for studying for quizbowl and for writing/editing questions that was spun off an old list of useful science textbooks. The list is implicitly geared toward college/open level quiz bowl, but players/writers at other levels may also find it useful.

Unfortunately, the list has been semi-abandoned for some time now, and I'd like to change that. I am making this post mostly to inform more folks about the existence of the doc (or remind them if they haven't thought about it in a while) and to solicit help expanding it and making it more user-friendly.

I would appreciate help with any of the following things in improving the list:

-Suggesting books/resources on relevant QB topics that feel unrepresented in the current list. These can be general-interest nonfiction books, textbooks, scholarly books, study-guide/outline-type books, websites, journals, reference books, documentaries, etc. Any secondary source that you have found useful in studying/question writing is welcome.
-Suggesting alternatives to currently listed resources in already fleshed-out sections. I personally feel that currently a lot of the sections are a bit too scholarly than need be. These resources can be great for finding deeper clues but are often pretty imposing if you are just trying to learn about a new area. I think we could use more novice and intermediate level books at the beginnings of some of the major sections, even if they aren't quite as scholarly as the currently listed texts.
-Fixing broken links: there are a bunch of these I have been fixing but I probably haven't caught all of them.
-A more long-term project: the current list is obviously rather long and could be imposing. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to split the list into multiple docs for novice/intermediate/advanced studiers/writers (or simply splitting it up by category?). This has its own issues too I fear, but this is worth discussing.

I'd like this to remain a living and evolving document that gets better with further input by all interested members of the community rather than an authoritative static text. The Google Docs suggesting feature should be available to everyone.
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion