4-9-2022: Sic Semper Trashis at (Bristol) Virginia High School

Old college threads.
TusculumPearson
Wakka

4-9-2022: Sic Semper Trashis at (Bristol) Virginia High School

Post by TusculumPearson »

It’s been a long, long time. But we’re back.

We are proud to announce and invite registrations for the annual Southwest Virginia Academic Team Alliance (SWATA) trash tournament fundraiser, Sic Semper Trashis 2022, which will be held at Virginia High School in Bristol, Virginia on April 9, 2022.

This will, still, as usual, be a mirror of Bob Kilner’s Ohio Trash tournament, and while it remains open to all high schools and trash enthusiasts across the Southeast (and beyond), it will also serve as the restart of the SWATA circuit following its COVID-induced shutdown (a shutdown that claimed both the 2020 and 2021 events). Proceeds from the tournament will be banked to invest in Southwest Virginia teams making future trips to national competitions (HSNCT, SSNCT, PACE NSC).

Read more, or go ahead and register: https://forms.gle/KUKks4YwoPoeHrc57

LOGISTICS
Our host school again is Virginia High School in Bristol, Virginia. The school is located approximately 5 minutes off Interstate 81’s Exit 3 or Exit 5, depending on whether you are coming from the north or south. The school is located at 1200 Long Crescent Drive, Bristol, VA 24201.

Our game plan is to start registration at 7:45 AM and hold a general meeting at 8:30, with a 9:00 AM start time.

There will be a high school only division as well as an open/college division. If you are a high school student, you are permitted to compete in the open division, but be aware that the piranha in the open division do not care about the age of the meat upon which they will feed.

Per usual, there are no trophies, only (two-year-old) prizes. Prizes will be (a) cheap and (b) trashy.

We have made no provisions for a music game (or for an alternate academic engagement) in this year’s version; a music game may come available, but it’s more important for our teams to just get together, enjoy one another’s company, and conspire on plans for 2022-2023.

COVID-19
We are emerging from the era of mask mandates and we are all feeling relief. However, as of publication of this announcement, Bristol City, Virginia still remains in CDC Community Transmission Level IV, with 167 weekly cases per 100,000 residents and a 10.0% positivity rate. Prior to the relaxation of CDC standards, this was a level where masking was encouraged in all indoor spaces. We will update these metrics ahead of the tournament date so that all participants may be maximally informed.

At these levels, the tournament director will be masked, and mask use will not be discouraged among participants. We also encourage vaccination against the virus among all who will participate, as that remains our number one method of preventing COVID-19 transmission.

FEES
We are maintaining our tournament philosophy. All fees can be negotiated to an extent, with two tenets in mind:
(A) Particularly for high schools, we want players to be able to play and not have money be an obstacle
(B) This is a fundraiser for our students. If you are able to pay full price, pay full price. If you feel led to toss some extra coins in the coffer, the funds are going straight to SWVA schools playing nationals
With those principles in mind, this is our fee structure:

High School Teams (fees unchanged since inception!)
$50 for first team from a high school
$45 for each additional team from same high school
$15 per free agent from a high school
-$10 discount *per Virginia school* that has not played a non-VHSL tournament in the past 5 years
-$10 discount *per Tennessee School* that has not played a non-TV event in the past 5 years

Open/College Teams (yeah, we pushed up your fees, inflation):
$100 per team
$30 per free agent

Discounts:
-$10 for staff supplied (staffers need to fill out a separate registration: https://forms.gle/eGTewHEkzBUp8zyu6 )
-$5 for buzzers supplied

Open/College team minimum: $80. no HS team minimum.

If your high school needs a break on fees in order to compete, please contact the tournament director. If your open team wants a break on fees in order to compete, consider the kids and dig deep.

SET
It’s Bob Kilner’s Ohio Trash, the set we’ve relied upon since the inception of SST in 2017 to make this tournament what it is. We have 11 high-quality, high-school appropriate packets at our disposal.

CONTACT
The returning tournament director for SST 2022 is Chuck Pearson, with the support of and other SWATA executives and members. Contact Pearson through Facebook (https://facebook.com/chuck.pearson) or by email at [email protected].

Host contact is Mr. Noah Ashbrook ([email protected]), with support from Cristal Morales.

REGISTER
https://forms.gle/oVF68qwYVShQLqZy8

DISCLAIMER
Some information is subject to change, if changes occur, they will be posted on this thread.

And, as always, in the words of the genial quizmaster, all decisions of the tournament director are arbitrary, capricious, and final.

We know the turnaround is quick, but those of us who play, coach and support the SWATA circuit have been waiting for this for a long time. The fellowship will be amazing. Come and join us.
---
Chuck Pearson, Tusculum University, general purpose East TN/SWVA quiz flunky, [email protected].
eldermaas
Wakka

Re: 4-9-2022: Sic Semper Trashis at (Bristol) Virginia High School

Post by eldermaas »

Will this be the Ohio Trash '20 set (played in Ohio in April 2021), or is there a more recent one?

(nevermind, I'm good)
Last edited by eldermaas on Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Washick, sponsor
North Greenville University Quiz Bowl
TusculumPearson
Wakka

We used the Ohio Trash 2020-2021 set at SuMO Trash at Tusculum in July '21. This is designated "2021-2022 Ohio Trash" on HSQuizbowl - last played for Toledo Trash at Swanton (Ohio) High School on December 11, and if it's been played other times, the boards don't have them.

I can double-check with Kilner to make sure you're not repeating yourself if you'd like, but I'm pretty sure you're clear.

chuck
---
Chuck Pearson, Tusculum University, general purpose East TN/SWVA quiz flunky, [email protected].
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Final field update as of April 4.

HIGH SCHOOL
Gate City x2
Richlands x2
Honaker/Lebanon chimera
Honaker JV
Castlewood x2
Lee
Tazewell

OPEN
Lee University Alums et al. (Washick)
Hale et al.
Virginia Tech x3 (Page et al., Keyser et al., Cardullo et al.)
"Chang et al." (Brown/Chewning et al.)
Tennessee (Barnes et al.)
Hubbard/Whited et al.
Little Lebowski (Perkins et al.)
Castlewood Alums (Smith et al.)
Lebanon/Honaker/Grundy mix (Amos et al.)
Mystery Team #12
Last edited by TusculumPearson on Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Field update as of March 24.
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Field update as of March 27.

At 17 teams registered with word of additional interest, I'm soft-capping the Sic Semper Trashis field.

I can take one more high school team in the field without running into possible staffing issues.

As for open: If you represent a potential open team and you've already communicated with me about your interest in competing (no matter whether that communication was at the onset of our announcement or yesterday or anytime in between), you're clear to register. If you haven't, message me first and let me know you're thinking about it and I'll keep you posted on the status of the field.

My hard cap right now with staff in-hand is 21 teams - 9 high school and 12 open.

Again: if you intend to staff, and you haven't filled out the staffing registration <https://forms.gle/Coq3NcCAU2UBmkcr9>, please do so. I know I have more than 13 staffers for the day, but I want to be sure who's committed. I'll be getting with staffers next week. Your commitment to staff will allow me to extend the SST field.

Thanks to everybody in the field so far for your support of quizbowl in Southwest Virginia. SST is picking up right where it left off in 2020.
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Field update as of March 30.

I have room for one more open team, and then I'm out of staff to support new competitors.

I have one high school team who has expressed interest beyond the current field.

Again: if you can staff, particularly if you can read, I covet your involvement. Get with me at <https://forms.gle/Coq3NcCAU2UBmkcr9>.
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Final field update for Sic Semper Trashis as of April 4, field closed with everybody who applied to play admitted into the field:

"Mystery Team #12" is the moniker I'm assigning to Mark Morris, who's coming up from Alabama as a free agent. That means, yes: even though the field is closed, if you don't have a team, and you're willing to play open with someone you might not know, we're willing to talk. Send me a direct message and let me know.

This is officially the largest SST ever. If you're in the field, we're so glad you're a part of it.

See you Saturday.
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Necessary updates with less than a week to go ahead of the staging of SST 2022:

COVID-19 UPDATE
We are still working on Covid-19 data reflective of a virus at low ebb. The worst-hit county in the region right now is Russell County (VA), with 52.7 cases per 100,000 residents and a 4.27% positivity rate. The region around Bristol is reporting 33.5/100,000 cases on the Virginia side, and 28.4/100,000 cases on the Tennessee side. Apart from Russell County and Tazewell County, all counties in the immediate region are (at worst) at CDC Community Transmission status of Moderate (Level II); the CDC Community Levels reflecting hospital bed usage are all Low.

Virginia High has been a mask-optional environment for the past month, and on current data I see no need to impose a mask requirement for this tournament that overrules the school rule set. That said, I also see no need to ask people who are more comfortable in a mask to remove their masking, and we should make the tournament environment a positive, welcoming environment for all.

REGISTRATION AND SCHEDULE
After some tree-shaking, we have a full field and we’re supporting every team that registered. Right now there is a place being held as the 12th open team by a free agent who is willing to play solo but who has room for compatriots. Contact [email protected] or direct-message if you’re willing to join the “mystery team” as a free agent

The current status of the schedule, with preliminary ruleset, can be found at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

As is traditional for SST, doors open at 7:45 AM. General meeting at 8:30 AM (with possible music game conduct). Target game starting at 9:00-9:15 (depending on if the music game happens).

Lunch WILL be after 5 rounds, primarily because of the need to reseed the open bracket.

Everybody's guaranteed 8 rounds. High school teams are playing a 9-match round robin; open teams will have 8 competitive matches and can pick up packets to play a ninth side match. Playoffs if necessary (unless teams make side agreements). The open bracket is more compact than the high school bracket, so there's every prospect of teams hanging out for a bit - we'll try to play defense against such a circumstance.

Any other questions - hit me through the social media channels or email at [email protected].

LUNCH
We’ve been trying to work out the logistics of providing lunch onsite for much of the last couple of days, as we have done for SST’s past. Alas, we don’t think that it will work. We’ll plan a little extra time for anybody to run up the road for the US-11/I-81 fast food emporiums. (Save the fancy sit-downs for dinner.)

We’ll prepare a list of lunch sites we prefer for the sake of time for tournament day, but your odds are best searching around Exits 5 and 7 of I-81.

MUSIC
There are rumors of the return of the Jeremy Alexander Tabor Memorial Music Challenge, even without the presence of Jeremy Alexander Tabor (who is enjoying life as a new father in Texas). If the game does return, the preliminary rounds will take place between registration and first matches. The finals will, as is custom, be the last event of the day - so don’t make too many plans to run away too quickly.

We can’t wait to see you.
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

We're live. Stats underway, as we're wrapping up Round 3 at 11:25 DANG IT WE'RE LATE

https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/7 ... standings/
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

We're into the afternoon phase. I'm still grumping that we're late. But apart from my complaints about timing, it's all going smoothly.

https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/7 ... oon_phase/
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Your post of congratulations and gratitude from today's #SicSemperTrashis, a remarkably successful pop culture tournament and fundraiser for the nationally competitive #quizbowl teams of Southwest Virginia held today at Bristol's Virginia High School.

Congratulations to the UTI's (Spencer Brown, Bryce Taylor, Jonce Culbertson, Lukas Fuller) of Richlands HS for winning the high school division on 9-0. Thunder Nuggets (Episode II: Attack of the Gibs) from Gate City HS was 2nd. Bikini Bottom, a Honaker/Lebanon chimera, was 3rd.

Congratulations to Just Desserts (Steven Brown, Sam Nelson, Samantha Pedrosa, Max Chewning) on their open division win, clearing the championship flight on 5-0. Late Night Snack at Tiffany's (from Virginia Tech) was 2nd. We had a 3-way tie for 3rd in the open division between Chattanooga's My Three Sons of Anarchy, University of Tennessee's Gnarly Mr. Internet Charlie, and the local entry known simply as Chris Hale et al.

Top scorer in the high school division (and overall) was Gibby of the Thunder Nuggets (more conventionally known as Connor Ketron of Gate City), who hit 100.6 PPG in the high school round robin.

Top scorer in the open division was judged based on the five-game prelims; that honor went to Laurie (Will Cardullo) of the Virginia Tech entry Greta Gerwig's Little Women, on 77.0 PPG.

We had a superb staff. On the high school side, our readers were alums Chandler Bowman and Shauna Shepard, Castlewood's Ric Burns, and Carey Wilson and Diana Gehman, visiting from the East Tennessee circuit (from JAMESTOWN, TN). Scorekeepers on the high school side were Mary Alice McClellan, Luke Chapman, Morgan Keen, and Tusculum's own Allison Keen and Vayda Darnell, who are my People Without Whom.

On the open side, Virginia Tech and associated conspiracies contributed Christine Strouth, Mike Hundley and Eric Chang to the reader pool, augmented by alums Andrew Helton and Makayla Shortt, and coach and reading stalwart Sarah Whisenhunt. Scorekeepers on the open side were alums Lucy Heffinger, Rory McFall, and Dylan Cox, newcomer Ryan Shepard, and Virginia High's own Cristal Morales.

And Noah Ashbrook of Virginia High helped with every manner of troubleshooting and heavy lifting on campus.

Ashbrook of VHS, Whisenhunt and McClellan of Gate City, Charlie Perkins of Honaker, Chris Hale of Richlands, Brittany Hale of Castlewood, and countless others have captured a vision of what #quizbowl can be in Southwest Virginia. They helped build this. I'm so grateful to them.

I did one final double-check tonight. This tournament, when all is done, raised $1145 for the teams of Southwest Virginia. The fees were raised this year, and we still had more open teams than ever before, and some folk gave above and beyond. I'm so grateful to these players.

All this for a silly buzzer game on silly pop culture questions.

Thanks lastly, and critically, to Bob Kilner and his compatriots for the always vital Ohio Trash set. We look forward to playing it every chance we get. It's such great fun.

And good Mr. Ashbrook got this picture of all of us together, for the first time for a SWATA tournament in two years.

And the biggest ever.

We did this, y'all. Together.

And that's it. I'm going back to bed.
---