SuMO VII at Tusculum, Greeneville TN (7/9/2022)

Old college threads.
TusculumPearson
Wakka

SuMO VII at Tusculum, Greeneville TN (7/9/2022)

Post by TusculumPearson »

This is the formal announcement of and invitation of registrations for SuMO VII: Haunted By Andrew Johnson.

After last year’s successful offering, we’re pleased to welcome the mixed-partnerships game to the campus of Tusculum University in Greeneville, TN (which we’re reminded too often is the birthplace of President Andrew Johnson, hence the name) for a second consecutive year.

Details below, or you can just go ahead and bypass the details and sign your partnership up.
https://forms.gle/oWkmFtVd2uetHsQAA

FORMAT
You register as a partnership of two, not as a team of four. On the morning of the tournament, you and your teammate will be paired with another partnership, roughly based on your experience and skill level. You will play the tournament with that other partnership, two partnerships paired as a four-player team. We do this to try to build the most evenly-paired field possible; we want every game to be as competitive as possible.

We’ll establish a schedule when it’s clear how many partnerships will register; in the past, we’ve been able to guarantee nine games before playoffs.

SET
SuMO VI is a mirror of Prison Bowl XIV, the regs-plus level set from Hunter College High School. We thank the team at HCHS for supporting the event with their questions.

FEE
The registration fee is $50 per partnership. If at all possible, we need the registration fee in cash, because…

PRIZES
…SuMO remains a cash game, and the prizes for the top teams are cash. There’s roughly a 50/30/20 split of the tournament prize pool among the top three teams. Again, the final prize pool will be established when we get picture of the field.

The initial field cap is 20 partnerships. We ran last year’s tournament with the equivalent of 26 partnerships and a house team, so we can expand and have expanded the field with additional readers and staff.

TRASH
There is a Sunday trash game to serve as a counterpart to the Saturday academic game! Find out more here <link to come>.

COVID-19
As I type this on April 15, the most recent case rate for Greene County, TN is 7.24/100,000 residents, with a positivity rate of 1.3% (as reported by the Tennessee Health Department). This is below the old CDC standard for "low" community transmission; all surrounding counties in East Tennessee have "low" to "moderate" rates of community transmission. There are no masking requirements on the Tusculum campus at this time.

Nonetheless, the BA.2 variant is spreading, across New England especially, and there is every reason to have concern that these low numbers won’t remain when we get to July. We reserve the right to establish masking regulations for the tournament, and those masking regulations may well exceed those recommended by regional or campus authorities.

Regardless of any COVID spread levels, we continue to emphasize that your best defense against the virus is your personal vaccination level - and if appropriate, that your vaccination includes boosters.

STAFF, BUZZERS
We benefit from the good quizbowl community in this region to help make this tournament work! We historically haven’t given a staff or buzzer discount for the tournament to keep the division of the funds clean, but we do want the best staff possible, and we have confidence in readers of the region to provide support. We’ve got a short registration for staffers to make sure you’re placed where you need to be <https://forms.gle/Em2MurSa9QAC3Aq96>.

CONTACT
This is an East Tennessee Quizbowl event, and all questions and concerns should be shuttled through the East Tennessee Quizbowl email address ([email protected]). The tournament direction team is Dren Rollins (lead reader, chief of the treasury, head of protest committee) and Chuck Pearson (host, logistics director, stats-book wrangler).

REGISTER NOW
https://forms.gle/oWkmFtVd2uetHsQAA

DISCLAIMERS
Some information is subject to change; if changes occur, they will be posted on this thread.

And, as always, in the words of the genial quizmaster, all decisions of the tournament director are arbitrary, capricious, and final.

Come join us as we reconvene in Greeneville on July 9th.
Last edited by TusculumPearson on Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Chuck Pearson, Tusculum University, general purpose East TN/SWVA quiz flunky, [email protected].
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Re: SuMO VII at Tusculum, Greeneville TN (7/9/2022)

Field update, as of July 7.

Zachary Knecht/Anthony Delgado
Tracy Mirkin/Graham Cope
Sam Matson/Eli Apple
Eric Chang/Steven Brown
Ross Ferguson/Sean Jackson
McKenzie Sykes/Abigail Sykes
Dargan Ware/Kristi Ware
Dylan Cox/Noah Lyons
William Barnes/Chris Wright
Trey Stephens/Bailey Watts
Herbie Brock/Courtney Brock
Ramapriya Rangaraju/Nick Conder
Jonathan Page/Stacy Brand
Samuel Amos/Cassie Adkins
Jud Bailey/Troy Funk Elliot Deep
Jonce Culbertson/Joey Simmons
Gavin Littrell/Owen Bales
Connor Ketron/Maggie Grizzle
Chandler West/Rebecca Thomas
Eric Douglass/Bryn Douglass
Alex Tabor/Breanna Tabor
Jason Russell/John Riddle

Seth Kendall (free agent)
Derek Disman (free agent)
Alex Li (free agent)
Joey Simmons (free agent)
Andrew Helton (mystery free agent revealed!)
Last edited by TusculumPearson on Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
---
Chuck Pearson, Tusculum University, general purpose East TN/SWVA quiz flunky, [email protected].
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Bump for field update on May 30. Memorial Day is peaceful for field updating.
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Bump for field update on June 18. We’re starting to fill out.

More news ahead of tournament date forthcoming.
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Bump for field update on July 3.

The next partnership to register closes the field for SuMO Academic. A late surge has us to 46 players registered. We have the staff to play more games, but I want no part of a 13-team tournament. So 12 teams/24 partnerships is our hard cap.

Get in now if you're gettin'.
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Bump for field update as of July 6.

Substantial flux since Sunday. For a while the field was closed and full on 48 players/12 teams. Unfortunately, there have been the equivalent of three partnerships drop since. We're on an odd number of partnerships right now and one more jumping in would REALLY be welcome.

House team recruitment is in progress to get us to a 12 team tournament if we get that one additional partnership and no more.

Direct messages are open. Ask questions as you've got 'em.

---

I still need to post the official status update for all the logistics on day of, but since multiple people have asked, we're working on the same schedule as last year. Building is open at 8:00 AM. Registration between 8:15 and 9:00. The legendary SuMO Draft at 9:00 AM. First games expected by 9:30 AM.

More news coming.

chuck
---
TusculumPearson
Wakka

It’s Thursday of tournament week. The updates are overdue. Let’s go through the list.

COVID-19
Okay, this is the hard one. 

We’re dealing with an uptick in COVID cases without any regulations, institutional or local, on masking, and we’re going to ask all individuals to use their best judgement but strongly encourage parties and particularly unvaccinated individuals to remain masked throughout.

We’re encouraging (but not enforcing) masking after a great deal of discussion and some consternation over the local masking discipline (or lack thereof) but also the relatively low number of cases locally, and the lack of institutional guidelines for this edition to carry us.

If you want the full reasoning behind this decision, read below. But be warned: I think about this stuff a LOT.

PARKING
On both tournament days, we expect the building to be open and available for us from 800 AM. Our mass meeting room will be Meen Center 007. Google Maps responds well to a mapping of 35 Shiloh Road, Greeneville for the location of the parking lot you should be aiming for to place yourself in the proximity of the Meen Center; you might fare well also searching for Pioneer Park, the baseball stadium next door to the Meen Center.

The Meen Center is surrounded by parking on the west and south sides. Signs will direct you to the primary ground floor entrance, although the secondary entrance will put you directly in 007.

SCHEDULE AND REGISTRATION
On Saturday we will be registering teams between 815 and 900 AM, and we will plan for our general meeting and draft of teams at 900 AM, with first games at 930 AM. Please plan to be present by 900 AM. Please remember to bring cash to register; SuMO is a cash game, and prize money is more easily divided when we have funds in cash.

Current schedule models for SuMO Academic plan five rounds before lunch with lunch break roughly at 1200-1230 PM and eight rounds (not counting group tiebreakers if necessary) of gameplay overall. We have sufficient packets for a full advantaged final if one team doesn’t manage to clear the field by two games.

We’re still contacting participants and giving them a heads-up about the tournament status; we’ll post the schedule and seedings as soon as the field settles.

On Sunday we intend to keep the same schedule, but we’ve had some folk inquire about making it to church on Sunday morning and we’ll be generous on start times. As of right now, though, we anticipate the same basic format for trash as academic, and the field for trash has been more stable than academic, so we might even have more certain seedings and scheduling!

MUSIC
The major music event is on Sunday - the debut of Mitch Alday’s SuMO Music game. You play with a partner to identify mash-ups of pop songs from all eras and genres. Choose your partner carefully, and play for cash prizes - $10 per partnership.

There’s no baseball in Greeneville on Saturday night, so we’re plotting more music games (for free!) after everybody gets dinner as the social entertainment The Jeremy Alexander Tabor Memorial Music Game returns for a second year, this time with Jeremy Alexander Tabor in presence to run it! And, for those who didn’t get a chance to play it at the Munson, Robin Richards will have Time-Life Strife along for the ride. (I personally will be playing both.)

It will be a spectacular weekend. DM’s are open; please don’t hesitate to contact if you need.

THE COVID-19 FINE PRINT
The hard data: Greene County currently has a weekly transmission rate of 162.4 cases per 100,000 residents, and a 15.9% positivity rate, per the latest state guidance from covid19.tn.gov. Under the current system of CDC “Community Levels” based on hospitalization rates (2.9 admissions/100,000) and staffed inpatient beds (2.2%), Greene County is “low”. However, under the old standards based on case rate and positivity, Greene County would have just exceeded a Level IV standard, the highest standard for transmission.

This is true of most counties in the region - the official CDC Community Levels remain low, but actual transmission rates are still what would have been considered dangerous levels a year ago. The mixed messaging of the CDC standards hasn’t helped with institutional discipline in mask-wearing, either, and without institutional guidelines on that kind of protection (and Tusculum currently offers none), it’s hard to put a stand-alone policy in place and enforce it.

In addition, there are early reports of the new BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants of Omicron being exceptionally infectious. Again, that’s nothing that I have seen or practically can demonstrate locally. But there are early reports of that reality.

After some discussion, this is where we’ve landed - essentially where we landed last year, with some stronger cautions. People will be traveling from all over the region, from Texas to Florida to Pennsylvania and points in between, to play this tournament. I (Pearson) will be in cloth masks for the majority of my time at the event. Other staffers and participants will be masked as well. We won’t engage in enforcement but we will encourage mask-wearing for the event, and doubly so for those who are unvaccinated. (People have had to be vaccinated to play in and staff national tournaments; there is hopefully a greater comfort level with masking and playing/reading quizbowl now than there has been.)

Further, because Greene County is comparatively low in transmission rate, you do need to bear in mind that you are almost certainly coming in from a higher transmission region to a region that’s comparatively unaffected. Make decisions with your personal protection in mind, but also with the protection of the host campus and county in mind.
---
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

At the very least, letting unvaccinated people play is a bad idea. The masking is a marginal benefit at best (and it's within reason to not enforce but strongly encourage it), though players should wear an N95 anyway.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Sima Guang Hater wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:32 pm At the very least, letting unvaccinated people play is a bad idea. The masking is a marginal benefit at best (and it's within reason to not enforce but strongly encourage it), though players should wear an N95 anyway.
I would like to go a bit further and encourage everyone to seriously reconsider attending this if unvaccinated people are allowed to participate. There is zero good reason to allow such people to play especially now that vaccines have been readily available for more than a year.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Whiter Hydra wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:51 pm
Sima Guang Hater wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:32 pm At the very least, letting unvaccinated people play is a bad idea. The masking is a marginal benefit at best (and it's within reason to not enforce but strongly encourage it), though players should wear an N95 anyway.
I would like to go a bit further and encourage everyone to seriously reconsider attending this if unvaccinated people are allowed to participate. There is zero good reason to allow such people to play especially now that vaccines have been readily available for more than a year.
Strong agree.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Whiter Hydra wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:51 pm
Personally I think the actual COVID risk of letting unvaccinated people play is probably in practice pretty low (especially since I assume Chuck wouldn't let them do so if they were showing any symptoms). However you should still require vaccines solely because anyone who's not vaxxed at this point (and doesn't have a legitimate medical reason not to be, obviously) is sufficiently selfish and/or stupid so as to be worthy of exclusion from quizbowl tournaments, IMO.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
TusculumPearson
Wakka

Yup, thought long and hard about all of this. And I'm not going to tell you I'm not nervous. But I'm also at a loss with what the situation is in the region.

To be totally blunt about it: I gave some thought to not saying anything about COVID at all. If you are out and about in Greene County, you can't tell that there's still a pandemic, and "life as normal" has resumed pretty much everywhere, even if a year ago we would have been hearing much more about Level IV transmission. There are no COVID protocols in place on the Tusculum campus right now, full-stop. Two weeks ago I finished working with a high school program with the county students, all of whom would be first in their generation to go to college. That population isn't fully vaccinated. There were no masking regulations even as the transmission numbers were ticking up.

(We also had no outbreaks. Reporting all the facts, here.)

In the end, I had to face the realities that I reported in the "fine print" above. I can't say that the risk of exposure coming into this tournament is zero, or even close to it, given where people are coming from and given the slow climb of the transmission numbers here.

I also have to face my own personal capacity to enforce. The CDC did us no favors with the vaccine cards as our means of checking. I could forge a vaccine card tomorrow that's as real and viable as my own double-boosted vaccine card. A vaccine card-check requirement for a tournament like this runs the risk of blocking an honest, forgetful person at the expense of somebody who is being deceitful. We said at the very onset that "your best defense against the virus is your personal vaccination level - and if appropriate, that your vaccination includes boosters." At a certain point, we have to move forward with the confidence that we've put all the appropriate information in front of our people, and that the expectation of the community is going to overrule personal selfishness.

I understand the cynicism that doubts a "trust-and-don't-verify" response. I feel it myself, living where I live. But, wearing all the hats that I wear in this particular enterprise, I'm trying to strike a balance in how I respond that serves all parties best. This is where we've landed.

Players with issues can hit me in the DM's. We've already had substantial melt in the field, and I'm going to be handling logistics right up through tomorrow morning; another partnership pulling out because of their discomfort with this response won't hurt my feelings. But again, we've constructed this response as thoughtfully as possible in response to a host of realities on the ground.

chuck
---
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

CPiGuy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:05 pm Personally I think the actual COVID risk of letting unvaccinated people play is probably in practice pretty low (especially since I assume Chuck wouldn't let them do so if they were showing any symptoms). However you should still require vaccines solely because anyone who's not vaxxed at this point (and doesn't have a legitimate medical reason not to be, obviously) is sufficiently selfish and/or stupid so as to be worthy of exclusion from quizbowl tournaments, IMO.
What the hell? The function you assign to vaccines in your second sentence is the literal definition of virtue signaling—using them only as proof of righteousness. Vaccination is not about virtue signaling; it’s about protecting people. Eric has stated the correct reason for why quizbowl tournaments should continue to require vaccination: because of the risk the unvaccinated still pose. That is how quizbowl policies do and should work: we proscribe specific malignant behaviors to prevent harm. Now, of course, behavior and character are intertwined—the latter partly drives the former, and we partly derive our perceptions of the latter from the former. But the idea that quizbowl institutions should use a behavior solely (your word) as a proxy for character, and then pass judgment on character alone should repulse all of us. Your statement is even more dreadful because one of the reasons you give for exclusion is lack of intelligence, rather than a distinct moral failing. (In fact, some might regard this attitude towards intelligence as itself a poor ethical stance.) You, Conor Thompson, and quizbowl in general are in no position to declare who is smart enough to participate in quizbowl. And I hope you come to see the irony in advocating for excluding people for being stupid while you post things like this.

I hope all TDs in the near future continue to request proof of vaccination whenever possible. But I also hope that they don't say this kind of awful crap to justify their policy.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

With exception for John Lawrence’s post, this is some of the most atrocious COVID-posting yet displayed on this forum. Literally no one said a word about the other umpteen tournaments this spring (including ACF Regionals and NAQT SCT) where hosts did not have a vaccination policy and people were dying at ten times the current rate, but the posts come rushing in the moment someone takes the time to mention COVID and encourage people to mask up instead of blithely ignoring it? At least try a thread for a tournament that isn’t running tomorrow.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
TusculumPearson
Wakka

At long last, the post of SuMO VII congratulations, appreciation and gratitude:

Congratulations to Team 7 (Thinkin’ ‘Bout A Team Name; Tracy Mirkin, Graham Cope, Trey Stephens, and Bailey Watts) for sweeping their games and winning the big prize at #SuMOVII. Team 9 (Midvale School for the Gifted; Ramapriya Rangaraju, Nick Conder, Stacy Brand, and Jonathan Page) placed second at 8-1. There was a tie for 3rd after the round-robin; Team 6 (the unnamed Eric Douglass/Bryn Douglass/Gavin Littrell/Owen Bales collaboration) defeated Team 5 (The Four Stooges; Eric Chang, Steven Brown, Connor Ketron, Maggie Grizzle) in the big-room playoff for the money.

Congratulations should be SHARED between Team 2 (Andy Reid’s Waffle House; Jonathan Page, Stacy Brand, Spencer Brown, and Luke Quesenberry) and Team 8 (The ’99 Corolla Rides Again!; Seth Kendall, Mitch Alday, Abigail Sykes, and McKenzie Sykes), who finished the #SuMOVII Trash round-robin at 8-1 and agreed to share top prize rather than playing off. (Mitch Alday, the Father of SuMO, declared Page/Brand/Brown/Quesenberry the first among equals at the end of the day, so Team 2 gets the privilege of the top rank in the standings.) Congratulations should doubly be extended to Jonathan Page and Stacy Brand for their engagement at the end of the tournament day, in an unprecedented ending to any tournament I’ve been involved with, and one we’ll remember for some time to come.

An almighty dogfight for 3rd place at SuMO Trash saw Team 10 (The Unusual Suspects; Nicholas Karas, Oishee Shemontee, Gavin Littrell, and Owen Bales) emerge in the money over a crowded field. Congratulations to all the teams who played for close matches all day.

Thanks to all who offered compliments on the efficiency and the speed of the tournament; that gratitude should be extended to the staff of the day, a crew that should be the envy of tournament directors everywhere. Two-day readers included East Tennessee Quizbowl pooh-bah Dren Rollins, my long-time partner-in-crime Erskine Thompson (assisted by his beloved wife Stacy), Georgia stalwarts Sarah Mauldin and Robin Richards, and local stalwart Sarah Whisenhunt (who helped get us on track with scoresheet-checking early in the day).

Nicholas Karas and Oishee Shemontee teamed up to read academic on Saturday, as did Father of SuMO Mitch Alday; Chris Hale kept score on Saturday and threw in to read a game or two. My dean, Heather Henson-Ramsey, also joined us to see this game her science chair keeps going on about and to fill out a scoresheet or five. We gave everybody nine games on Saturday and avoided byes by fielding a house team of staffers; that house team, dubbed the Luke-Alikes, was made up of Shauna Shepard, Luke Chapman, Caleb Bales, Luke Quesenberry, and Spencer Brown. (Guess where the name came from.)

On Sunday, Dylan Cox and Noah Lyons joined the staff to scorekeep, along with Luke-Alike Luke Chapman, and Allison Keen, who has long been my Person Without Whom. Shauna Shepard joined me in HQ to check scoresheets and to serve as a Tournament Director In Training. (I look forward to news from Randolph College!)

On behalf of East Tennessee Quizbowl, I want to thank everybody who came to play and staff for their support of what we do. I don’t have a lot of flowery language left in me; so much goes into making an event like SuMO flow smoothly, and we got so much help. I’m just very grateful to everyone who was here.
---