Using clustering to look at college quizbowl circuits

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Using clustering to look at college quizbowl circuits

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I have a blog post up about using community clustering algorithms to look at what the structure of tournament attendance reveals about college quizbowl circuits.

This is the first in a series of posts I have planned about quizbowl using the new college quizbowl stats database. Currently, team names have been cleaned and unified, which allowed me to do this analysis.

My results were mostly fairly intuitive (which is good! circuits should be intuitive!), but I think it's just pretty neat to see it all laid out on a map. Here's the key image (the version on the blog lets you scroll and zoom and click on schools to see names). Let me know if you have any questions or comments, or ideas for me to take a look at!

Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
at your pleasure
Auron

Re: Using clustering to look at college quizbowl circuits

Post by at your pleasure »

Neat! this is pretty interesting, I'm surprised that UT and CO circuits cluster with the PNW circuit and the Idaho circuit and not the KS/OK circuit (and that the Idaho circuit doesn't extend into WY/MT/the Dakotas)
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/