Summer 2022 Tournaments

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Summer 2022 Tournaments

Post by Mike Bentley »

What's on the slate for summer tournaments this year? For academic-ish sets, here's what I saw announced:

Chicago Open
NASAT
MUSES
WOOLF
JAVA
THING

This seems below average compared to previous years. Are there any missing sets or ones not announced yet?

As I mentioned on the Discord last night, I have a couple of things in the works that I'll get to after the NSC concludes. But unclear if any of them would be ready for the summer. In any event, probably not until August.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: Summer 2022 Tournaments

Post by ryanrosenberg »

This seems like more than enough for two weekends of events.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Summer 2022 Tournaments

Post by Cheynem »

CO Trash is also expected to happen, which basically fills up CO weekend (as well as already announced events like JAMES, which could happen, and things that are already completed and could be mirrored again, like Ottawa Hybrid or Music for the Masses). Throw in a potentially still uncertain hosting situation, and I can see why there wouldn't be a preponderance of events announced, although as Ryan said, that's a healthy amount. Even during normal years, there were basically just two weekends worth of summer open events. I'm sure a guerrilla event or some other event could materialize too.

I should also note NAQT (and presumably PACE/ACF)'s (correct) decision to discourage or restrict side events at their nationals means that as opposed to previous years, side events that would have run there will have to be run later in the summer, meaning more events on the docket for summer opens/weekends.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger