Hosting a tournament

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Ziv_Carmi
Kimahri

Hosting a tournament

Post by Ziv_Carmi »

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new when it comes to Quiz Bowl (I have been competing for three years- including my recent trip to ACF Nationals, which was an experience of a lifetime!- but have not done much more), and I want to really get more involved with it in my final year of undergraduate education. As a history major studying in Gettysburg, I think it would be really cool/fun for us to host a history-themed tournament on our campus next year (I would want to make it an intermediate difficulty level so that everyone could enjoy the tournament, including those who aren't history students). I haven't seen many history-themed tournaments in the mid-Atlantic area since I began competing in Quiz Bowl, so I am not sure how much interest there could be. Since I am so inexperienced in the logistical side of Quiz Bowl, I wanted to reach out to you guys and hopefully have a few of my questions answered.

What exactly would hosting a tournament entail? As someone organizing it, what would I have to do? How should I go about looking for interested teams/moderators/writers? Do you have any other advice I should keep in mind for organizing and hosting a tournament?

Thank you so much for your help. I really love being a member of the Quiz Bowl community and am excited to continue playing with you all over the coming few years (planning on going to graduate school so I am hoping that I can continue playing after Gettysburg)!

Ziv Carmi
Ziv Carmi
Gettysburg College '23, BA History/Public History/Civil War Era Studies
JA01
Wakka

Re: Hosting a tournament

Post by JA01 »

This guide is pretty helpful https://coloradoqb.org/tournaments/hosting/. You would have to find questions to read though. Not sure if there are a lot of collegiate history only sets so you'd probably have to write it.
Jade Anderson
Smithtown High School West President Class of ‘19
Stony Brook University President Class of ‘23