ACF Nationals 2022 Livestream A/V Discussion

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
meebles127
Tidus

ACF Nationals 2022 Livestream A/V Discussion

Post by meebles127 »

I'm making this thread so as to not take up too much space in John's thread. If people, particularly those who watched from home, could share their feedback on the livestream of both the finals and Matt Jackson's Carper presentation, I would greatly appreciate it.

A Few Notes Beforehand:

1) I already know that the audio was pretty bad - this was mostly unavoidable due to technical restraints. I ask that you avoid commenting on this as plans are already being developed to make this better in the future.

2) Recordings will be up eventually. I do not know when so do not ask me.

Thanks to all who made this weekend possible. It was truly an honor.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Re: ACF Nationals 2022 Livestream A/V Discussion

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

Audio issues aside, it was good to find some watch along for people who were interested, so thank you for that.

I realize that this year would have not permitted it for a few reasons being the first big tournament back. What I would like to see is something akin to what PACE did for 2016 and 2017 in having a recording setup in one room for both days while also having one for the finals. Preparing for doing so with plenty of time might allow it for 2023
Last edited by Here Comes Rusev Day on Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
Scone
Lulu

Post by Scone »

What was the rationale for Twitch chat not being allowed for people who hadn't followed acf for less than 6 months? I think that an active and vibrant chat would be good for engagement.
Samir Sarma
Eden Prairie '22
Georgia Tech '26
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Scone wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:43 am What was the rationale for Twitch chat not being allowed for people who hadn't followed acf for less than 6 months? I think that an active and vibrant chat would be good for engagement.
We didn't have the man power to moderate a twitch chat so I did the closest you can to turning it off.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Scone
Lulu

Post by Scone »

meebles127 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:50 am
Scone wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:43 am What was the rationale for Twitch chat not being allowed for people who hadn't followed acf for less than 6 months? I think that an active and vibrant chat would be good for engagement.
We didn't have the man power to moderate a twitch chat so I did the closest you can to turning it off.
That makes sense to me. I think that in the future, if a moderated but still exciting Twitch chat could exist, it would be fun. That way, you could also get fans of a certain university's team to join in as well. Quizbowl is kind of boring to watch by itself if you don't know what's going on.
Samir Sarma
Eden Prairie '22
Georgia Tech '26
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'd personally love more events to livestream more than just the finals. I understand that question security does make this challenging. But I personally would like the option of a 30 minute delay or something rather than recordings that get posted much later. (As someone who has made a lot of recordings, I know that it can be a long time before I get the energy to post them.) Yes, you can't follow along in realtime or whatever. But it's easy enough to avoid the Discord and see a couple of the top bracket playoff games.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008