On Exactitude in Score Clues

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
dni
Lulu

On Exactitude in Score Clues

Post by dni »

I would like to preface this post by clarifying that I have no intention whatsoever of calling out writers and editors whose questions are referenced here. Their work has been consistently excellent across the sets these questions appeared in, and have been a real joy to read and play.

That being said, I’d just like to take note of some minute inaccuracies in score clues that have surfaced at some time or another. This wouldn’t be of interest to the majority of people, but I think it may still serve as an impediment to the small fraction of people that care about them.

For instance, here is the lead-in to the music tossup in Finals 1 of 2016 ACF Nationals, which was read live:
This noun appears in the title of a short piece that opens with a rising and falling theme in the right hand that goes B, E, A-sharp, high B, G, E before the left hand begins playing a tremolo alternating between B flat and A natural.
The piece (Nuages gris) that this refers to is actually in G minor, so this E minor-centered theme that’s written doesn’t make much sense. It’s relatively simple to deduce what happened in the transcription here; the right hand is written in bass clef, but reading the notes in treble clef (which is the predominant clef of the right hand in piano music) indeed gives the notes in the question. It’s a lead-in to a Finals question of Nationals, so the piece referenced is rather minor, but it’s still a mistake that may have deterred a buzz on the biggest stage of the game.

Other, more recent examples of this are rather unfortunately clustered in 2021 Chicago Open. For example, a clue on the Hallelujah Chorus was given as the following in a bonus part: “long high D, followed by short notes G, A, G.” The Hallelujah Chorus is pretty famous and those who have heard the piece before should be able to get it off its most famous score clue, but the clue is incorrect; the notes should be A, B, A. Another tossup in CO 2021 on Sibelius’s 5th symphony has the clue right out of power as “B-flat, up a fifth to E-flat, back down to B-flat.” My guess is that the notes are reversed, and B-flat should be substituted with E-flat and vice versa, because as written the clue is not only wrong in terms of accuracy but also a fifth above B-flat isn’t E-flat. Other minor things from CO 2021 are the score clue in the tossup on Mendelssohn citing the Reformation symphony’s theme as containing an F (as opposed to F-sharp) and the tossup on La campanella saying the piano plays a high D-flat repeatedly (as opposed to D-sharp).

A lot of these things are really minor, but I do think that perhaps slightly more care should be taken to ensure the veracity of score clues. They’re really only a very small fraction of quizbowl mechanics, but if it’s going to come up at all, it should do so in a way that aids the player who’s able to understand it, rather than deter them. Score clues are already quite hard to parse at game speed even as someone who is able to do so.
Dan Ni
Langley '19
Cornell '23
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: On Exactitude in Score Clues

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Funnily enough at least two of these cases were previously pointed out by Ophir.
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
quizzical1
Lulu

Post by quizzical1 »

I don't really pay attention to score clues, but my fine arts friend might be deterred by these questions. Good to know.
Elliot L.
7th Grade
The Meadows School, NV
NAQT, IAC player
"Preparation is key"
Stats for my league at: lvqba.org
:party:
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

Here is another example using Bach's Toccata and Fugue...
A - G - long A - G - F - E -
D - C-sharp.
Here is the link to the packet: https://files.quizbowlpackets.com/2766/ ... Packet.pdf

Technically, this is correct. It uses all the correct notes. Musically, it is incorrect. This phrase is incomplete, as it ends by repeating with the second to last note. Therefore, it should look like this...

A - G - long A - G - F - E -
D - C-sharp - D.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
Rainbow Middle School (2022-present)
Southside High School (2023-present)
2023 MSNCT Rising Star
Alabama State Champion 2024