WOOLF (2022/3) [reviv/sed]

Old college threads.
jinah
Wakka

WOOLF (2022/3) [reviv/sed]

Post by jinah »

This is a re-post of the original thread for WOOLF. With Auroni stepping back from this, she’s given me and Alex Damisch permission to take over the event, given the strong interest. This post is largely copied from Auroni’s original, with slight changes.

I’m pleased to announce (the revival of) WOOLF (Written Officially by Obliging Literature Fans), an open-difficulty (similar to previous CO literature tournaments such as It's Lit and RILKE) guerrilla packet submission literature side event that is intended as a spiritual sequel to the 2014 Gorilla Literature tournament. Like that tournament, this set is intended to celebrate and showcase the differing sensibilities, tastes, and approaches used by some of the game’s best and most enthusiastic literature writers. I would particularly love to see packets from current undergraduates and/or people who enjoy writing literature questions, but who don’t quite have five years of experience doing so. You may submit an individual packet or collaborate on a packet with up to two other people.

Structure/Distribution

This is an open tournament that anyone can play; submitting a packet is purely optional (though submitting a packet will replace or substantially reduce your registration fee).

All packets should consist of 20 powermarked tossups length-capped at 9 lines in 10 point Times New Roman, and must adhere to the following minimum location and genre-based distributions:

Minimum of:
4/0 American Literature
4/0 British Literature
3/0 European Literature
3/0 Non-Western Literature

Minimum of:
5/0 Novels
3/0 Poetry
2/0 Short Stories and Novellas
2/0 Drama
1/0 Non-Fiction and Criticism
1/0 Literary Culture, Misc, Other

You are free to write the remaining questions in any category that you would like, or across categories. Additionally, I encourage packet writers to balance their questions across a number of other considerations, including but not limited to: answerline difficulty, time period that the work was written in, diversity of author by gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality, and type of answer. Because it is improbable and undesirable to set quotas for all of these factors, I am leaving it up to individual authors to determine what an appropriate balance should look like. Although this is a difficult open tournament, and creative approaches/occasional extracanonical sojourns are encouraged, please refrain from writing extremely difficult and/or vanity tossups that you expect only a couple of people can answer at or before the end.

Logistics

Given the amount of time that has passed since the initial announcement, and the impending deadline of e.g. CO packets, I’m planning to post another survey about preferences around tournament format, online vs in-person, and timing for this event.

For now, please hold on to your packet as I work out the logistics of the tournament; contact me ([email protected]) to express interest or to indicate that your packet has been written. As I would also like to play this tournament, Alex Damisch ([email protected]) will be collecting and running a minimum quality/basic requirement check for the packets. Do not email me, JinAh, your packets.
Last edited by jinah on Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JinAh Kim
University of Pennsylvania, '18

“Furthermore, the Astros must be destroyed.”
jinah
Wakka

Re: WOOLF (2022/3) [reviv/sed]

Post by jinah »

These are the people/teams who signed up to write for WOOLF when initially announced. While you will have precedence for signing up this time around, please confirm with me via email, messenger, discord, comment, or forums PM if you still plan to write. If you do not confirm with me by 4/30, I will assume you no longer wish to write and open up your spot on the packet list.

Auroni Gupta [confirmed]
John Lawrence
Mitch McCullar [confirmed]
Matt Bollinger [confirmed]
JinAh Kim & Jordan Brownstein [confirmed]
Rob Carson [confirmed]
Caroline Mao, Will Alston, & Jason Cheng [confirmed]
Stephen Liu
Taylor Harvey [confirmed]
Andrew Wang & Kurtis Droge
Chandler West & Jaimie Carlson [confirmed]
Nick Jensen [confirmed]
Shan Kothari & Sam Bailey [confirmed]
Tim Morrison
Jonathen Settle & Chris Borglum [confirmed]
Jonathan Magin & Andrew Hanna
Rahul Keyal & Ethan Ashbrook
Elia Cugini
Last edited by jinah on Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JinAh Kim

jinah
Wakka

Re: WOOLF (2022/3) [reviv/sed]

Post by jinah »

Please note I’ve adjusted writing teams to allow groups of three, given the level of initial interest. If you’d like to write a packet in case people drop, please let me know (currently, there are two writing teams on the waitlist).
JinAh Kim