Undergraduate Championship Interest Poll

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Undergraduate Championship Interest Poll

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Currently, the ACF and NAQT national undergraduate titles require all-undergraduate teams to compete against teams composed of mixed undergraduates and graduate students. Several editors (including myself) are considering creating a separate undergraduate-only championship tournament. In such an event, every team would compete for the same title, rather than a few disparate titles. The tournament would also serve the needs of schools who do not contend for an undergraduate title--because their regular A team includes one or more graduate students--but are fully capable of fronting a team of strong undergraduates. The tournament would be scheduled for sometime in March, before the ICT/Nats weeks, and would be of lower difficulty than the other national tournaments (closer to three dots rather than four, on the dot scale).

This poll is to determine community interest in playing the tournament. We need this data to know whether the project is viable. We invite any collegiate team to participate in the poll. Even if your answer is negative, it would be valuable for our data-collection as it removes a question mark over your school. If you are considering sending two teams, please fill out the poll twice, once for each team. The poll will close at 11:59 PM ET on Monday, April 25th. If you have any questions, please post in this thread, so that other teams may see your question and my answer.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: Undergraduate Championship Interest Poll

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

This is an interesting idea, John, but I have two questions:

If it were created, would this tournament be run under the auspices of ACF or NAQT, or would it be an entirely separate enterprise? Would this tournament's existence obviate the UG title from ICT or ACF Nats?

Would these teams still have to qualify through some previous tournament performance? And would top community colleges have a chance to be involved?

Okay, so I guess I have four questions. Thanks!
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Re: Undergraduate Championship Interest Poll

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

ValenciaQBowl wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:49 pm This is an interesting idea, John, but I have two questions:

If it were created, would this tournament be run under the auspices of ACF or NAQT, or would it be an entirely separate enterprise? Would this tournament's existence obviate the UG title from ICT or ACF Nats?

Would these teams still have to qualify through some previous tournament performance? And would top community colleges have a chance to be involved?

Okay, so I guess I have four questions. Thanks!
Thanks for your four questions, Chris. Here are current answers to each:

(1) This tournament will be run in partnership with IQBT, rather than ACF or NAQT.
(2) We have no reason to believe that ACF or NAQT will suspend their UG titles in response to the existence of this tournament, although that is for those organizations to say.
(3) We're still figuring out the qualification scheme, but qualifying through previous tournament performance is one of the options we're considering.
(4) Yes, community colleges will be eligible, although students are who dual-enrolled at community colleges and high schools will not be eligible.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton