Interest for an "NAQT-style" college housewrite

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
eygotem
Wakka

Interest for an "NAQT-style" college housewrite

Post by eygotem »

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this can happen by next season, but I'm thinking of helping organize a college housewrite that would have more of a NAQT-ish subject distribution, to make up for the lack of NAQT college events during the regular season. Question length caps would be longer than NAQT's, but shorter than most ACF-style housewrites. I envision the distribution would be something like 4/4 science, 4/4 literature, 4/4 history, 2.5/2.5 fine arts, 2.5/2.5 RMPSS, 2.5/2.5 Geo/CE/Pop Culture, and 0.5 Other. Please let me know if you'd be interested.
June Yin (they/them)
Ladue 2021
WUSTL 2026(?)
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Re: Interest for an "NAQT-style" college housewrite

Post by Gene Harrogate »

I think it's a really great idea to inject a little variety in the collegiate schedule like this. Excited to see how it turns out!

EDIT: I do wonder though if this tournament might not be better served witha 22/22 distribution, to free up some space for more of the "other" NAQT asks about without making further demands on the art and thought.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
CaseyB
Wakka

Post by CaseyB »

Gene Harrogate wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:15 pm I do wonder though if this tournament might not be better served witha 22/22 distribution, to free up some space for more of the "other" NAQT asks about without making further demands on the art and thought.
Consider also that SCT is 22/22.
Casey Bindas
PACE VP of Event Management
Michigan Tech 2016-18
VCU 2015-16
UCF 2011-15
Canton HS (MI) 2007-11
liamstarnes27
Lulu

Post by liamstarnes27 »

I would support this, it definitely seems like regular-season tournaments are all pretty much the same distribution in college and I would like the variety.
Liam Starnes
Barrington HS '21
UChicago '25

"A non-quizbowl scientist" - Matt Jackson
Halinaxus
Wakka

Post by Halinaxus »

As an incoming college player whose quiz bowl knowledge base translates much better to the NAQT distribution than the mACF distribution, I love this idea.
Reilly Melville
Chaska High School '22
Purdue University '26
GallatinGOAT2020
Lulu

Post by GallatinGOAT2020 »

I agree, this sounds like a great idea. Definitely something we'd be interested in playing.
William Barnes

Gallatin (TN) '20
President of UT-Knoxville Quizbowl ('24)
Borrowing 100,000 Arrows
Wakka

Post by Borrowing 100,000 Arrows »

While this is a good idea which I hope comes to fruition, I think that this kind of set is difficult to pull off which is why it's only been rarely done. First, the question length makes writing good questions that don't cliff really hard or devolve into buzzer races much more difficult. Second, the NAQTcore stuff is usually a lot harder to edit, because it's difficult to gauge to what depth people know about pop culture or CE.
Caleb K.
Maryland '24, Oklahoma '18, Norman North '15
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think Caleb does identify some potential issues, but I think they can be worked around--at the very least, you might need to do something like bring in editors specifically to handle categories, like geo/CE/pop culture, that your other editors may not be able to do on their own.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

I believe FICHTE might be the gold standard here outside of NAQT sets like SCT and ICT. I agree with Mike here in that this obviously can be done well if you do bring on some people to specifically edit within the categories.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15