MacVanity VIII at McMaster: September 3, 2022

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Oganesson
Kimahri

MacVanity VIII at McMaster: September 3, 2022

Post by Oganesson »

Hello there!

On behalf of the McMaster University Academic Trivia Club, I am pleased to announce that the 8th iteration of MacVanity will be taking place on Saturday, September 3, 2022. Going with tradition, this will be a tournament of community-submitted packets, with proceeds donated to the McMaster University Children's Hospital.

This tournament will hopefully be taking place in-person at McMaster University, and will run from 9 am to 5 pm. Although mask mandates have been paused by the University, we still highly recommend that masks be worn throughout the duration of the tournament, including during games and opening and closing meetings.

To register, please send me an email at [email protected] or contact me, Adrian Wong, on Discord. You can register as part of a team or as a free agent. If you wish to staff, you may also contact me by email or on Discord. Please note that the field size is capped to 8 teams.

Fees:
As with the previous iteration of MacVanity, we will be going with these fees and discounts:

Base fee: $25 per player
Packet Submission Discount: -$10 per packet submitted by teams
Tsar Alexander III Memorial Discount: -$5 for any team containing Peter Cordeiro

Distribution:
As with last year, we'll be going with a very loose 21/21 structure containing:

-1/1 History
-1/1 Science
-1/1 Literature
-1/1 Religion, Mythology, Philosophy
-1/1 Visual Arts
-1/1 Geography
-1/1 Social Science
-1/1 TV/Cinema
-1/1 Music
-1/1 Current Events
-1/1 Sports
-1/1 CanCon
-9/9 anything, I suppose

Questions need not conform in any way to academic content or traditional quizbowl formats.

Please submit packets to [email protected] as a Google doc. Pack submission deadline will be Thursday, September 1. We should ideally have at least 8 packets for this tournament.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me, and I hope to see you all on the 3rd!
Adrian Wong
McMaster '23
University of Ottawa, MD '27
Co-President, McMaster Quizbowl

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future." - Dan Quayle