MUSES III: First Online Mirror (August 27th)

Old college threads.
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

MUSES III: First Online Mirror (August 27th)

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

Hello everyone!

I am pleased to announce that we have a date for the first online mirror of MUSES III: Select Difficulty! The event will be hosted on Saturday, August 27th at a TBD time (if you have strong feelings about the start time please feel free to let me know and I will take that into consideration).

This event will (of course) be an open event, meaning anyone can play with anyone. The event will be played on teams of 4 and will cost $60 per team. The initial field cap will be set at 12 teams but will expand in accordance with staff availability and plausible schedule creation. If there is sufficient interest, another mirror may be held to allow anyone who cannot play this mirror a chance to play the set.

This event will be using a 30:20:10:-5 scoring system, meaning that there will be superpowers for 30 points, regular powers for 20, regard gets for 10, and negs for -5.

Players will be expected to keep their camera on at all times during game-play and to keep a hand in view. We currently plan to use buzzin for our buzzing mechanism but are open to suggestions if there is a strong preference for another method.

An unofficial team formation sheet can be found here. Please note that filling out this form does not constitute signing up. To officially register, please email me at bamclai2 AT utexas DOT edu.

Current Field: 10/12:
Forrest-An-Thompson-Miles
Riley-Hoffert-Morales
Schmidt-Schmidt-Kansara-Shimizu
Cheyne-Mukherjee-Larsen-Cgrustebseb
Yang-Peet-Thomas-Zhou
Bollinger-Damisch-Jackson
Golfinos-Lawrence-Kitakule-Yue
Phung-Schiavone-Dahl-Szot
Niu-Wang-Xia-Zhang
Perumalla-Sims-Tsai
Last edited by Father of the Ragdoll on Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
Cheynem
Sin

Re: MUSES III: First Online Mirror (August 27th)

Post by Cheynem »

Eric Mukherjee and I are looking for teammates.

Erik Christensen has joined us. Perhaps someone else named Mike can join us.

EDIT: "Mik"e Larsen has joined us.
Last edited by Cheynem on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Alex Damisch and I are going to try to play this. Since it looks like it'll be tricky to hold a well-attended mirror during the school year, I'd encourage interested players to consider signing up for this event.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

There are still several team slots and individual roster slots available!

Also if you have put your team on the sheet but not emailed me yet please do so as soon as you can to lock in your spot in the field!
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

A discussion forum for this set has been created. This includes a copy of the questions as played on 8/21.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

We still have several team slots available! We’d love to end up with any number of teams but 9 so if you want to play the set we’d love to have y’all!
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Just a heads up, we will be capping the field tomorrow aside from any teams whose joining would improve the schedule. We plan to host another online mirror if there is interest so please keep an eye out for that if you have interest in playing!

Additionally, the start time is going to be 7AM Pacific/10AM Eastern. As this is a tossup only set we do not think it will take very long to get through the day. Contra the original announcement, we will also be using Discord text channels to buzz as we believe this will give us the best chance of operating at a speedy clip. - We will be using buzzman

A full logistics email will be sent out shortly.
Last edited by Father of the Ragdoll on Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Father of the Ragdoll wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:25 pm Contra the original announcement, we will also be using Discord text channels to buzz as we believe this will give us the best chance of operating at a speedy clip.
I would strongly recommend that you use buzzin.live or buzzman for buzzing, since Discord chat is laggy and puts more of a burden on the reader to recognize buzzes. Both of those platforms have been used for many tournaments and are very easy to set up and use.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I would greatly support using Buzzin or The Buzzman as well for the same reasons that Tejas describes.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

In my experience, buzzin.live has tended to have issues with making the sound consistently. If that is resolved then I am happy to implement it for this. I am unfamiliar with the Buzzman and would welcome additional information on it.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Liarr
Lulu

Post by Liarr »

As a reader, I have had the least issues with buzzin compared to discord or buzzman. I have bled more than a full sentence on multiple tossups when I've read for discord tournaments, among the other usual issues with it. I've used buzzman to read for games between friends, and while it does have certain advantages over buzzin (no player limit, cooler room codes like BARGEMAN and CHEESEMAN), I have experienced issues recently with it kicking the reader in the middle of tossups, although other readers have not had that problem from what I can tell. I also quite dislike the interface as a player. Personally, I have never experienced the issue with buzzin's sound that Brad describes.

I think a reasonable solution here would be to have readers and players have their cameras on zoom and leave it up to each moderator what sort of buzzing service they want to use if buzzin really doesn't work for them. Personally I'm a bit of a buzzmisandrist but if buzzman works for you I think it's for sure a better option than discord text chat.
Lia Rathburn
Eric Hamber Secondary School '16
Langara College '18
University of British Columbia '20, '23

"I've decided I'm going to retire from playing to card full-time." - Milan Fernandez
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Final(?) logistics email should be coming out soon.

The (?) is because we are at 10 teams but if 2 more teams want to sign up any time between now and Friday night we will adjust the field accordingly. So if you are thinking of playing, join in the fun!
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

This happened.

Auribus teneo noobum (Matt Bollinger, Alex Damisch, Matt Jackson, and Andrew Wang) cleared the field to win.
Sicc buzz, gloria mundi (Jason Golfinos, John Lawrence, Moses Kitakule, and Mike Yue) took second
AQAB: All Quizbowlers Are Buzzers (Mike Cheyne, Eric Mukherjee, M. Robert Larsen, and Erik Christensen) took third by defeating Sweet Child of Mnemosyne (Ned Tagtmeier, Justin Wytmar, and Daniel Sheinberg) and Highway to Hellenism (Peter Schmidt, Alex Schmidt, Chinmay Kansara, and Kenji Shimizu) in a 3 way match for third. Stats will be up sometime tonight most likely (excluding the aforementioned three way game which I will just report point totals for).

Thank you everyone for playing and to all out staff and I hope everyone enjoyed the set!

We will likely do a few interest checks in the coming weeks to see if anyone else is interested in braving our labyrinth of madness very fun set at a future mirror or shootout so stay tuned if you missed today's festivities!
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

There are now stats.

Additionally, I have attached a summary of the 3rd place game
Attachments
muses online 3rd place.png
(28.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Wow, there was a third-place game? This is the first I've heard about it! I thought we were done. Shoot, my own kid didn't tell me. Ah well. :oops:
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation