2022 CO Trash: Specific question discussion

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

2022 CO Trash: Specific question discussion

Post by theMoMA »

This is your thread for specific question discussion.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Re: Specific question discussion

Post by yogesh.raut »

Is there a way to access a copy of the questions? (I promise I'll keep them confidential.)
Yogesh Raut
Washington State University
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Yes, please email Carsten (OctagonJoe at gmail) for a copy of the set.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

I found the KOTH clues in the Sturgis TU exceedingly amusing. Those are the exact things you'd remember from that episode's A plot if you watched it. That episode's B plot is far better tho.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

theMoMA wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:20 pm Yes, please email Carsten (OctagonJoe at gmail) for a copy of the set.
As a note, I will be sending the version of the set that was used on Sunday, which means it will still have all the original errors. We have already been making edits to the set for future mirrors, but you can also e-mail me any errors you think we should know about.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

The bonus part on Ted Gioia confuses Harold Bloom (who was not Ted's mentor) with James Wood (who was), to what is surely the horror of Ted, Wood, and Bloom's ghost.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

Could I see the soccer tossup on Toronto? I'm impessed how it avoided giving power just because one is Canadian but wondering what the clues were about.

The tossup on the McDonalds cluing from The Founder has a clue about the tennis court scene, which Ray Kroc is also involved in. The clue isn't inaccurate but it might draw more negs than ideal. Also, did this clue Supersize Me later? In general, though, I liked the selection and cluing of modern movies; I think they balanced difficulty with having something for newer players to know.

I liked the variety of pop music asked about but some of them seemed quite a bit easier than the mode music question, even with factoring in the intended audience. The Joji tossup cluing another person on the same label that's popular on Youtube, Rich Brian, was a good example of this.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

ErikC wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:55 pm Could I see the soccer tossup on Toronto? I'm impessed how it avoided giving power just because one is Canadian but wondering what the clues were about.
A club in this city was the last professional stop for Juventus (yoo-VEN-toos) legends Francesco Morini and Roberto Bettega. River Plate and Juventus standout Omar Sívori had his last managing stint with this city’s “Italia” club, the dominant team in the now defunct NSL. A club from this city lost a Champions League final on penalties in part because a misplay by goalkeeper Alex Bono allowed Alan Pulido to score from a 30-yard sharp-angle free kick. The Barenaked Ladies line “Birchmount Stadium, home of the Robbie” references a massive charity soccer tournament in this city, whose major club plays on the former site of Exhibition Stadium in (*) BMO (BEE-moh) Field. In 2022, a club in this city signed Italian national team standouts Domenico Criscito and Lorenzo Insigne. From 2015 to 2018, including a 2017 domestic-treble season, 68 goals were scored for this city’s biggest pro club by former Juventus forward Sebastian Giovinco. For 10 points, name this Major League Soccer city in Ontario.
ANSWER: Toronto
Carsten Gehring
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

ErikC wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:55 pm I liked the variety of pop music asked about but some of them seemed quite a bit easier than the mode music question, even with factoring in the intended audience. The Joji tossup cluing another person on the same label that's popular on Youtube, Rich Brian, was a good example of this.
I thought about this when writing the question, but the conclusion I came to was that the knowledge required to make that leap was not going to be so widespread through the field as to be problematic, and that I was comfortable rewarding that knowledge plus a willingness to make a sort of figure-it-out leap that early. (Relatedly, for this reason I deliberately didn't specify that Rich Brian was his labelmate in the text of the question!)
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

I seem to recall a question about Samantha Mathis that clued that she played Princess Peach in Super Mario Bros. Although the distinction has sometimes been slippery, her character is definitely Princess Daisy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._(film)
Yogesh Raut
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

We've fixed the Peach/Daisy and Wood/Bloom issues for future mirrors.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Could I see the tossup on Oscar Isaac? I was told by Rob on my way to the bathroom that all of the clues were from Moon Knight, so I'd like to see what I didn't buzz on. Thanks!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

19. A character played by this actor is given a pamphlet for a place that promises to provide “the support you need to be the best you can be” while being fired by HR; that character played by this actor spends time outside telling his problems to a street performer called Crawley. Another character played by this actor is first revealed in the rearview mirror of a limo before he turns around and tells a man in Spanish, “Today is your turn to lose.” A character played by this actor is betrayed by Raul Bushman, who kills Abdallah El-Faouly (fah-OO-lee), the father of that character’s future wife, Layla. A character played by this actor learns he is based on a character from the movie (*) Tomb Buster after a childhood incident in which Randall drowned in a cave. A character played by this actor becomes the avatar for Khonshu and struggles with dissociative identity disorder. For 10 points, name this actor who played Jake Lockley in Moon Knight, Steven Grant in Moon Knight, and Marc Spector in Moon Knight.
ANSWER: Oscar Isaac [or Oscar Isaac Hernandez Estrada]
<Carsten Gehring, TV (2000s-present)>
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

theMoMA wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:53 pm 19. A character played by this actor is given a pamphlet for a place that promises to provide “the support you need to be the best you can be” while being fired by HR; that character played by this actor spends time outside telling his problems to a street performer called Crawley. Another character played by this actor is first revealed in the rearview mirror of a limo before he turns around and tells a man in Spanish, “Today is your turn to lose.” A character played by this actor is betrayed by Raul Bushman, who kills Abdallah El-Faouly (fah-OO-lee), the father of that character’s future wife, Layla. A character played by this actor learns he is based on a character from the movie (*) Tomb Buster after a childhood incident in which Randall drowned in a cave. A character played by this actor becomes the avatar for Khonshu and struggles with dissociative identity disorder. For 10 points, name this actor who played Jake Lockley in Moon Knight, Steven Grant in Moon Knight, and Marc Spector in Moon Knight.
ANSWER: Oscar Isaac [or Oscar Isaac Hernandez Estrada]
<Carsten Gehring, TV (2000s-present)>
This tossup was really cool, and since I'm not at game speed, I recognize the clues in the leadin. Thanks for writing this, Carsten!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

Now that I've read the entirety of the Elizabeth Taylor TU, it has some pretty big factual errors in the Mike Todd clue. Fred Waller invented Cinerama and Hans Laube invented Smell-O-Vision. I'm not sure Mike Todd had anything to do with the latter; it was promoted by his son, Mike Todd Jr., after his death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinerama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scent_of_Mystery
Yogesh Raut
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

In Round 7, TU 3 ... I can see why one would assume that Javier Bardem (who is Spanish) plays Goya in Goya's Ghosts, but in fact he plays a different character, and Swedish actor Stellan Skarsgard plays the title painter. There are multiple famous Skarsgards, so this error would send a knowledgeable player straight to the wrong answer.
Yogesh Raut
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

Round 5 Bonus 8: Peter Ustinov won his Topkapi Oscar 13 years after being nominated for Quo Vadis, not nine.
Yogesh Raut
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

This is a small thing, but Round 2 TU 14: Frank Morgan's other character was Professor Marvel, not "Captain Marvel."
Yogesh Raut
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

A couple answerline things:

Round 1, TU 16 - "gunnery sergeant" was the rank held by DI Hartman, but it's not a "job" and it's not synonymous with drill instructor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_ins ... ted_States

Round 14, TU 5 - Ming-Na went by a mononym at one point in her career, so "Ming-Na" by itself should be acceptable
Yogesh Raut
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

I really wish I'd gotten to play packet 14 -- a lot of great questions directly in my wheelhouse! But one other error -- the theme from Goldfinger is performed by Shirley Bassey, not Matt Monro (who sang "From Russia with Love").
Yogesh Raut
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

yogesh.raut wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:30 pm Round 1, TU 16 - "gunnery sergeant" was the rank held by DI Hartman, but it's not a "job" and it's not synonymous with drill instructor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_ins ... ted_States
That's a valid assessment. My reasoning behind accepting it is that it is basically a part of the name of both Emil Foley and Hartman (who are the characters described in the majority of the clues) and shows more knowledge than just saying "sergeant" or "soldier," and I ultimately wanted to be forgiving (within reason) for players with "real knowledge" of the movies who are unaware of the difference between holding a specific rank and performing a specific job. Another option would be to change "gunnery sergeant" to be prompted like "sergeant" is, but I'm inclined to keep it as acceptable.
Carsten Gehring
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I do not know the full sentence, so maybe this clarifies, but I buzzed on the Petticoat Junction tossup on the clue about "Sam Drucker's store" being a frequent setting. That also applies to the spinoff show, Green Acres.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I've fixed the various errors; thanks for identifying them, and apologies that I didn't avoid them in the first place. I modified the clue about Petticoat Junction to remove the clue about Drucker's store to avoid that issue as well.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

Cheynem wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:07 pm I do not know the full sentence, so maybe this clarifies, but I buzzed on the Petticoat Junction tossup on the clue about "Sam Drucker's store" being a frequent setting. That also applies to the spinoff show, Green Acres.
It's not a factual error, but along the lines of the above ... the "Rats Saw God" clue in the iZombie question would have sent me straight to Veronica Mars (c.f. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Saw_God)Image if I hadn't already buzzed on an earlier clue. But like I said, the clue is factually accurate, so I'm agnostic as to whether this is an issue that needs fixing.

Also, I'm sure other people have said this as well, but I can't imagine the lead-in to that Everclear TU didn't provoke tons of buzzer races. I've mentioned it to a few friends (who aren't playing mirrors) and they found it inappropriately transparent as well.

As long as I'm here, I'll also just mention that I revisited Wikipedia's article on the Cumberland vs. Georgia Tech game, and they quote a description of the 1-yd touchdown incident that doesn't line up with how it's presented in the TU. But then, that's famously a game with few direct records and lots of contradictory accounts, so a bit of variation among sources isn't surprising.
Yogesh Raut
kiestosuccess
Lulu

Post by kiestosuccess »

The donkey Kong 64 tossup falls into the "extremely my shit" category that rocked. Could've sat silent the rest of the day and been happy anyway
Ian Kies
Saint Thomas Academy '14
University of Wisconsin-Madison '17 (winter)

"I'm the Trash Man! I come out, I throw trash all over the- all over the ring! And then I start eatin' garbage! And then I pick up the trash can, and I bash the guy on the head."

-Frank Reynolds