MAKEMAKE National League [Oct-Dec, online, novice]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
CPiGuy
Auron

MAKEMAKE National League [Oct-Dec, online, novice]

Post by CPiGuy »

I am pleased to announce that I will be directing a national league-style mirror of MAKEMAKE this fall. Games will begin the first week of October and continue through November and December.

Eligibility
There will be middle school and high school novice divisions. For more information on the MS division, see the announcement in the MS section. This is a closed tournament; teams must represent a single school.
The high school division of this tournament will be a novice tournament. I reserve the right to reject players' eligibility if I judge them to be not a novice -- in particular, players who have made significant contributions to teams that have finished 5-5 or better at HSNCT, or are of comparable strength to such teams, are definitely not novices.

Schedule and Format
The tournament will be run using a league-style format; teams should expect to play 1-2 games per week. Teams will be sent a schedule with matchups, and staff will reach out to teams' contacts to find times to play games that work for both teams. I will create a Discord server that teams can join to coordinate match times with each other and with staffers and will also reach out to teams through email. There will be a master spreadsheet which will be updated with Zoom links for matches.

The exact number of games will be dependent on the number of registered teams and tournament format, but all teams will be able to play at least ten games. Games will follow standard ACF quizbowl rules, except that teams will have 7 seconds instead of 5 whenever applicable.

I ask that players not be moved between teams from the same school; if a player plays for Smith A they should stay on Smith A, etc. I will solicit roster submissions before the tournament but additional players can be added to rosters throughout the duration of the league (as long as they have not already played for a different team as noted previously).

All players will be expected to use video during all tournament matches unless they have specifically requested, and received, an exception from the tournament director (me).

Conduct
I am committed to keeping quizbowl a safe place for all participants. Misconduct, cheating, and other forms of misbehavior are not tolerated and I reserve the right to remove players if they commit such acts. Players will be expected to abide by the PACE Code of Conduct and can avail themselves of the quizbowl misconduct form, in addition to reporting misconduct to me or other tournament officials.

I will also note that playing without a camera and exhibiting behaviors suggestive of cheating will place you under extreme suspicion.

Fees
The entry fee for this tournament will be $70 per team. As this tournament is online, no buzzer discounts will be given.

Registration
In order to register for this tournament, fill out this form. You can change your submission if things (such as the number of teams you are bringing) change; please do this instead of filling out another submission.

Registration will close on September 24, with games to start the following week.

Staff
I expect a large portion of the staffing to be conducted by myself and by the sizable MAKEMAKE writing team; if you are interested in staffing, however, we would love to have you -- let me know and I will invite you to the staff and coordination server. Staff will be paid $3 per game they work.

Current field (high school novice)
Darien (1)
Innovation Academy (3)
Northfield (1)
Stevenson (1)
Last edited by CPiGuy on Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
iaquiz
Lulu

Re: MAKEMAKE National League [Oct-Dec, online, novice]

Post by iaquiz »

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that you got a submission from Innovation Academy.

Also, for eligibility purposes. Is a high school freshman (or a sophomore who didn't play last year) who played quiz bowl in middle school eligible?

Thanks!
Coach McGillicuddy
Innovation Academy
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: MAKEMAKE National League [Oct-Dec, online, novice]

Post by CPiGuy »

iaquiz wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:00 pm Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that you got a submission from Innovation Academy.

Also, for eligibility purposes. Is a high school freshman (or a sophomore who didn't play last year) who played quiz bowl in middle school eligible?

Thanks!
I did get such a registration, yes! Sorry for the late response -- I'll be sending email to all registered teams around when registration closes.

Such a player would be eligible unless they were extremely good in middle school (leading or otherwise contributing significantly to a team in legitimate contention for a national title), I think.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database