Desperately Seeking JV-level Mirror

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
mfincher
Lulu

Desperately Seeking JV-level Mirror

Post by mfincher »

Hello there,

I am planning to host a tournament in late October for JV-level (9th and 10th grade) players but have struck out so far on procuring a question set with the following:

NAQT--all possible sets being used by nearby schools before or after my tournament
KICKOFF Novice--being used in nearby Fulton County, from which I'm hoping to draw some team entries
SCOP Novice--have contacted the coach/creator REPEATEDLY and received no reply

I do not want questions for middle-school level students OR advanced high school students--looking for somewhere in the middle. Please help by letting me purchase from you if you have a relevant set!

Matt Fincher
Greater Atlanta Christian School
[email protected]
Matt Fincher
Greater Atlanta Christian School
TheDoctor
Rikku

Re: Desperately Seeking JV-level Mirror

Post by TheDoctor »

SANDS and MAKEMAKE are both good choices here. I know you said you don't want a middle school-level set, but my high school JV players played MAKEMAKE's predecessor set, and I found it to be ideal for the age level. Sets marketed toward an audience that bridges the MS/JV gap tend to include early tossup clues that are more suitable to the slightly older HS players and hard bonus parts that challenge the high schoolers rather than the middle schoolers. They often work really well for F/S players.

Edit: If it helps, the previous iteration of MAKEMAKE can be read at this link. The editor says they're going a clue harder for MAKEMAKE, so if this strikes you as just a little too easy, know that MAKEMAKE is likely to fix that issue for you.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
mikemathis3020
Lulu

Post by mikemathis3020 »

The Fulton County Championship is using the regular KICKOFF set, not the Novice KICKOFF. I am unsure as to whether the novice set is the same, but just simplified.

Mike Mathis
Academic Team Coach
Chattahoochee High School
Mike Mathis
Academic Team Coach
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

mikemathis3020 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:08 am The Fulton County Championship is using the regular KICKOFF set, not the Novice KICKOFF. I am unsure as to whether the novice set is the same, but just simplified.

Mike Mathis
Academic Team Coach
Just want to clarify coach Mathis' good point here: KICKOFF Novice is using questions that were downconverted from the regular KICKOFF set. Due to this, players are unable to play both sets.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!