World Music Audio Set

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

World Music Audio Set

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

Over the course of several months, I’ve written 200 audio tossups focused on music of historical and cultural importance from around the world. The set has the following characteristics:
  • It is largely focused on non-US, non-UK popular music, especially artists and styles often overlooked in quizbowl sets. The content straddles trash and other auditory arts.
  • The artists and styles from the US and UK have made a significant cultural or musical impact, straying away from “remembering guys”-type writing.
  • Common link questions are only done in cases where the songs are stylistically cohesive; there are no common links based on shared words or characteristics where it would be inappropriate in a normal quizbowl set
  • The difficulty is open+ and harder than both PAveMEnTs, but there are plenty of gettable answerlines. Being able to recognize languages will definitely help.
  • There is little to no Western classical music.
I hope to play the questions in-person if time allows at one of the nats and will post about playing them on a zoom call on a date after that.
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

Re: World Music Audio Set

Post by excessive dismemberment »

Has this been played at any point? Is there a chance of another reading/mirror of this?
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
University of Michigan '20
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

excessive dismemberment wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:36 pm Has this been played at any point? Is there a chance of another reading/mirror of this?
I haven't played the set anywhere yet, so I'm planning on organizing a shootout on Discord or Zoom sometime this fall. It's all audio clip tossups, so nothing will be read.
Victor Pavao
paris
Lulu

Post by paris »

Is this still happening? I'd love to play this!
Crow He
UNC 2025
msarma
Lulu

Post by msarma »

So would I. I can answer tossups on Hindi/Tamil songs and I'd love to play to learn more about foreign music.
Manas Sarma
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2012-2016
hayek-splosive
Kimahri

Post by hayek-splosive »

What happened with this?

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Stevie Miller
WCHS '22
CMU '27

"That’s always the trouble with history. It always looks like it’s over. But it never is."
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

I apologize for the delay everyone. I've decided to run this event online on February 18 at 6PM eastern. Please list your name and email here so I can include you in the logistics emails.

I hope to have at least two audio rooms like Festivus. Players will be able to self-assign a room based on their desired competition level. I'm hoping for an additional staff volunteer to play the audio in the second room.
Victor Pavao
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

I've decided to play this event on the main Discord packet channel on Sunday, still at 6PM eastern. It will finish long before Forrest's event is to be played.
Victor Pavao
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

I’m going to push this event to another day TBD.
Victor Pavao