2023-24 IQBT Undergraduate Championship Qualification Event - Online - 11/1-11/6/23

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
AKKOLADE
Sin

2023-24 IQBT Undergraduate Championship Qualification Event - Online - 11/1-11/6/23

Post by AKKOLADE »

International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, LLC will be hosting a qualifying event for the IQBT Undergraduate Championship Thursday, November 2 through Sunday, November 5. The Undergraduate Championship will be held on March 2 & 3, 2024.

This event will consist of 70 bonuses played by each team, much like the qualifier for the 2022 Undergraduate Championship. The difficulty of this set will be two dots per the College Quiz Bowl Calendar Difficulty Scale; this is a step down in difficulty from last year. The difficulty of the Undergraduate Championship proper will remain at three dots.

The entry fee will be $55 per team. Teams can be made up of up to four players, all of whom must be undergraduate students as defined below. Schools can register multiple teams.

Staffers will be paid $15 per qualification session read.

Editors will be announced in the near future.

Information about eligibility

Teams may only be made up of teams that qualify as undergraduate students, per the following information.

A competition year is defined as beginning August 1 of a year and concludes on the subsequent July 31.

A postsecondary degree is an associate’s, bachelor’s, doctorate, or master’s degree.

An accredited school is one that offers classes towards earning a postsecondary degree.

A class is a course taken for credit at an accredited school. Classes include practical experiences such as internships or work placement programs. Classes may be taken online.

An undergraduate student is defined as:
• Having graduated from high school or have completed a GED.
• Having not graduated with a postsecondary degree (excluding associate's degrees taking fewer than four years to earn) before the competition year.
• Having completed no more than ten semesters of post-high school education.
• Taking two classes over the competition year

To compete in the fall semester, an undergraduate student must be taking two “normal” classes worth of credit at the time, where, for a traditional, two semester per academic year college, each class would be worth 3.0 credit hours.

To compete in the spring semester, an undergraduate student must be taking or have taken a total of two “normal” classes worth of credit over the academic year, where, for a traditional, two semester per academic year college, each class would be worth 3.0 credit hours. Students who fulfill this requirement and graduated after the fall semester are eligible in the spring semester.

Students enrolled in a co-op or other experiential course but are under the necessary number of credit hours to be eligible and that meet all the other eligibility requirements may request an exemption to be granted eligibility by email Fred Morlan at [email protected].

Question distribution

The question distribution of subjects is as follows:

Registration is now open at https://forms.gle/XnC5EywqAyBK5HUv8.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: 2023-24 IQBT Undergraduate Championship Qualification Event - Online - 11/2-11/5/23

Post by AKKOLADE »

We've moved this forward a week to November 1 through November 6.

This post is being used to track the field.

Field as of 10/31/2023 (99 teams):

University of Alabama (1 team)
University of Arkansas (1 team)
Bates College (1 team)
Benedict College (1 team)
Bishop State Community College (1 team)
Boston College (1 team)
Boston University (1 team)
University of British Columbia (1 team)
Brown University (3 teams)
University of California, Berkeley (1 team)
Case Western Reserve University (2 teams)
Cedarville University (1 team)
University of Chicago (4 teams)
Claflin University (1 team)
Claremont Colleges (1 team)
Colorado College (2 teams)
Columbia University (3 teams)
Cornell University (3 teams)
Dartmouth College (3 teams)
University of the District of Columbia (1 team)
Duke University (3 teams)
Emory University (2 teams)
Erskine College (1 team)
University of Florida (2 teams)
Geodesic University (1 team)
Georgia Institute of Technology (2 teams)
Hampton University (1 team)
Harvard University (1 team)
Indiana University (1 team)
Jarvis Christian University (1 team)
Jefferson Community & Technical College (2 teams)
Johns Hopkins University (1 team)
University of Kentucky (1 team)
Kenyon College (3 teams)
Lincoln University (1 team)
University of Maryland (2 teams)
McGill University (1 team)
University of Michigan (3 teams)
University of Mississippi (1 team)
University of Missouri (1 team)
Murray State College (2 teams)
New York University (1 team)
Northwestern University (1 team)
University of Notre Dame (3 teams)
Ohio State University (2 teams)
Rutgers University (2 teams)
University of South Carolina (2 teams)
Southern Union State Community College (1 team)
Stanford University (2 teams)
State College of Florida Manatee-Sarasota (1 team)
University of Texas at Austin (2 team)
Texas A&M University (1 team)
Truman State University (1 team)
Tulane University (2 teams)
University of California, Los Angeles (3 teams)
Vassar College (1 team)
University of Vermont (1 team)
University of Virginia (1 team)
Washington University in St. Louis (1 team)
University of Waterloo (1 team)
West Virginia University (1 team)
Western Illinois University (2 teams)
The College of William & Mary (1 team)

The following teams have registered and will go through the scramble process.

Interested:

University of Arkansas Pine Bluff
Belmont University
Buena Vista University
University of Maryland Eastern Shore
University of Washington
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 68 times in total.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: 2023-24 IQBT Undergraduate Championship Qualification Event - Online - 11/2-11/5/23

Post by AKKOLADE »

Bumping this to keep the date in everyone's mind.

Registration will open shortly after the conclusion of the survey regarding the site of the Championship proper.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've gone ahead & opened registration; it's available via this form. Feel free to wait on registration if the determination of the Championship's online/in-person status will determine if you want to participate.

A few key things:

* The registration fee this year is $55 per team.
* We're expanding the number of questions to 70, ten of which will be tiebreakers.
* Teams are required to pay ahead of time to be considered fully registered for this event; if a team's payment is not received by November 1, they may be removed from the event.
* I'm keeping the qualification cutoff at 32 teams for now, but if we get 80 teams that participate in the qualifier, we'll expand that cutoff to 40.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

After discussing this subject with a few people, I've decided that the difficulty of the Qualifier will be two dots this year. I'd like to see if it will result in wider differentiation between teams at the cutoff point for the Undergrad, and it will also work a little better for the purposes of outreach, which I think this event should be a key part of for the circuit.

The difficulty of the Undergraduate Championship proper will remain at three dots.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The Undergraduate Championship tournament will be hosted at Columbia University in New York City.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Just a reminder that the preferred registration deadline for the Qualification Event is October 26. If you register by then, we will do our best to assign you a time slot you request. Teams that register after that date will be fit into the schedule as best as we can on a first come, first serve basis.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We are now up to 25 teams registered! I hope your school will join the list soon.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I just confirmed that there is no sales tax required on our entry fee for this event this year.
Fred Morlan
mehatamm
Lulu

Post by mehatamm »

Hi,

I think the eligibility requirements, as currently listed, are too strict and seem to disqualify a lot of people who by most merits are definitely doing "serious undergraduate degrees". Many Canadian universities, as well as several American ones, have students enrolled in co-op degrees which often desynchronize students' timings of academic terms. For example, as a Waterloo student, I was on a "Study Term" in the summer and was taking five courses, but this fall am on a "Co-op Term" during which I am taking one additional course. Next winter, I will be taking five courses again. "Co-op" terms fulfill specific degree requirements for us, like at Waterloo in which I have to complete five Co-ops to graduate. These are real, full-time jobs that usually take up at least 40 hours in the week, and often force students to relocate to other cities, preventing them from taking additional courses. Under the current eligibility restrictions, some otherwise interested Waterloo students who were on study terms in the summer, work terms now, and will be back on study in the winter are ineligible despite arguably having more school in their lives than most 2-semester-a-year undergraduate institutions. This also applies to other students at the University of Ottawa, University of British Columbia, and I'm sure several American universities with active QB teams.

A simple fix to these eligibility restrictions would be to count internships or work placement programs as more than one "course", allowing students currently working full-time who cannot take additional courses to fulfill the fall requirements of taking at least two "courses". All of the people unreasonably rendered ineligible currently will be taking several "real courses" over the course of the year, so that restriction is fine to keep. Essentially, the current restrictions' attempt to account for internships or work placements is insufficient, and for fairness eligibility should be extended to students whose programs desynchronize their terms in such a way as I have described.
Mattias Ehatamm
University of Waterloo 2025
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hi Mattias,

I'm reviewing this with the people who helped me come up with the eligibility guidelines last year and we'll have a ruling soon. Thanks!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

mehatamm wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:43 pm Hi,

I think the eligibility requirements, as currently listed, are too strict and seem to disqualify a lot of people who by most merits are definitely doing "serious undergraduate degrees". Many Canadian universities, as well as several American ones, have students enrolled in co-op degrees which often desynchronize students' timings of academic terms. For example, as a Waterloo student, I was on a "Study Term" in the summer and was taking five courses, but this fall am on a "Co-op Term" during which I am taking one additional course. Next winter, I will be taking five courses again. "Co-op" terms fulfill specific degree requirements for us, like at Waterloo in which I have to complete five Co-ops to graduate. These are real, full-time jobs that usually take up at least 40 hours in the week, and often force students to relocate to other cities, preventing them from taking additional courses. Under the current eligibility restrictions, some otherwise interested Waterloo students who were on study terms in the summer, work terms now, and will be back on study in the winter are ineligible despite arguably having more school in their lives than most 2-semester-a-year undergraduate institutions. This also applies to other students at the University of Ottawa, University of British Columbia, and I'm sure several American universities with active QB teams.

A simple fix to these eligibility restrictions would be to count internships or work placement programs as more than one "course", allowing students currently working full-time who cannot take additional courses to fulfill the fall requirements of taking at least two "courses". All of the people unreasonably rendered ineligible currently will be taking several "real courses" over the course of the year, so that restriction is fine to keep. Essentially, the current restrictions' attempt to account for internships or work placements is insufficient, and for fairness eligibility should be extended to students whose programs desynchronize their terms in such a way as I have described.
These students should be eligible; I'll amend our rules to reflect this later today once I figure out an exact way to make this clear.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

AKKOLADE wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:13 pm Students enrolled in a co-op or other experiential course but are under the necessary number of credit hours to be eligible and that meet all the other eligibility requirements may request an exemption to be granted eligibility by email Fred Morlan at [email protected].
IQBT has added this clause to our eligibility guidelines.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We're going to explore adding options on the 1st & 6th for qualifying sessions, if we have interested moderators.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: 2023-24 IQBT Undergraduate Championship Qualification Event - Online - 11/1-11/6/23

Post by AKKOLADE »

We are now up to 72 teams registered, surpassing last year's total.

There's still time to register, which you can do at https://forms.gle/XnC5EywqAyBK5HUv8.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: 2023-24 IQBT Undergraduate Championship Qualification Event - Online - 11/1-11/6/23

Post by AKKOLADE »

We are now at 86 teams! You can still register at https://forms.gle/XnC5EywqAyBK5HUv8. The end of the day today is the preferred registration deadline.

Our official roster page is at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ioW ... sp=sharing. It is still in the process of being updated.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The following teams need to submit their time selections before Monday at noon Eastern.

Alabama
Bates College
Benedict College
Bishop State Community College
Boston College
Brown A
Brown B
Cal Berkeley
Case Western Reserve A
Case Western Reserve B
Chicago A
Chicago B
Chicago C
Chicago D
Colorado College A
Colorado College B
Columbia B
Columbia C
Cornell C
Dartmouth A
Dartmouth B
Dartmouth C
District of Columbia
Emory A
Emory B
Erskine
Florida A
Florida B
Indiana
Jefferson Community College A
Johns Hopkins
Kenyon A
Kenyon B
Kenyon C
Lincoln
Maryland A
Maryland B
Michigan A
Michigan B
Michigan C
Ole Miss A
Ole Miss B
Missouri
NYU
Notre Dame A
Notre Dame B
Notre Dame C
Rutgers
South Carolina A
South Carolina B
Southern Union
State College of Florida Manatee-Sarasota
Texas A
Texas B
Tulane A
Tulane B
UCLA A
UCLA C
Vermont
Waterloo
William and Mary
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

These teams still haven't submitted their time selections.

Alabama
Bates College
Benedict College
Bishop State Community College
Boston College
Brown A
Brown B
Chicago A
Chicago B
Chicago D
Colorado College A
Colorado College B
Columbia B
Columbia C
Dartmouth A
Dartmouth B
Dartmouth C
Emory A
Emory B
Erskine
Florida A
Florida B
Indiana
Kenyon A
Kenyon B
Kenyon C
Lincoln
Maryland B
Michigan A
Michigan B
Michigan C
Missouri
Notre Dame A
Notre Dame B
Notre Dame C
South Carolina A
South Carolina B
Southern Union
Tulane A
Tulane B
UCLA C
Vermont
Waterloo
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

These teams haven't selected their times yet.

Bates College
Benedict College
Chicago A
Chicago D
Indiana
Kenyon C
Notre Dame A
South Carolina A
South Carolina B
UCLA C
Waterloo

You have half an hour to get your selections in.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

For those that want to follow along as I assign teams times for their qualifier slots later this afternoon, you can do so at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VYw ... sp=sharing.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

AKKOLADE wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:50 am For those that want to follow along as I assign teams times for their qualifier slots later this afternoon, you can do so at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VYw ... sp=sharing.
All teams but two have been assigned a time slot. I'm going to take a break but a couple more details will be emailed out later today or early tomorrow.

Every team that submitted a roster before today had some press releases sent out to local media.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Thank you to everyone that played the qualifier for the Undergraduate Championship. These were the top forty scoring teams. Ohio State B secures the last spot on a tiebreaker over Chicago D.

Cornell A - 1380 points
Columbia A - 1320 points
Chicago A - 1310 points
Geodesic University - 1270 points
Waterloo - 1270 points
Harvard - 1270 points
Texas A - 1270 points
Claremont Colleges - 1250 points
Cornell B - 1250 points
Ohio State A - 1230 points
Brown A - 1230 points
Maryland A - 1210 points
Georgia Tech A - 1210 points
California Berkeley A - 1200 points
Columbia B - 1180 points
Virginia - 1180 points
Chicago C - 1170 points
Missouri - 1170 points
Johns Hopkins A - 1160 points
Rutgers A - 1150 points
WUSTL - 1140 points
Duke A - 1140 points
Rutgers B - 1100 points
NYU - 1090 points
Chicago B - 1080 points
Stanford A - 1070 points
Truman State - 1070 points
Michigan A - 1060 points
Brown C - 1060 points
South Carolina A - 1030 points
Emory A - 1030 points
Florida A - 1010 points
UCLA A - 1000 points
Cornell C - 990 points
Dartmouth A - 960 points
Kentucky - 950 points
Notre Dame A - 950 points
Northwestern - 940 points
UCLA B - 930 points
Ohio State B - 910 points
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

A belated thank you to all of the staffers who made this event possible:

Tomas Aguilar-Fraga, Alex Akridge, Sarah Benner, Christopher Bradley, Randolph Brockman, Joseph Chambers, Eric Chang, Khugan Chan, Ganon Evans, Weillin Feng, Em Gunter, Justin Hawkins, Michael Hays, Devin Humphreys, Kevin Jiang, Brandon Jones, Nat Ku, Mike Laudermith, John Lawrence, Edward Liu, Sam Macchi, Lalit Maharjan, Joel Miles, Henry Morales, Eric Mukherjee, Kane Nguyen, Jacob O'Rourke, John Petrovich, Quynh Phung, Ishan Ranjan, Noah Sheidlower, Kenji Shimizu, Adam Smith, Mike Sorice, Ashish Subramanian, Prithvi Sudhakar, and Luke Van de Weghe

Also, thank you to the people who contributed to the set as a writer and/or editor:

Andrew Rout, Caleb Kendrick, Emmett Laurie, Eric Mukherjee, John Lawrence, Kurtis Droge, Lalit Maharjan, Liz Cowan, Maxwell Ye, Noah Sheidlower, Vasa Clarke, & Yingzhi Nyang.

Thanks again, everyone!
Fred Morlan