ChatGPT as Study Buddy

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

ChatGPT as Study Buddy

Post by username_crisis_averted »

Intro

ChatGPT is a somewhat controversial topic in many areas right now, and quizbowl is no exception. For those unfamiliar, ChatGPT is a chatbot that simulates intelligence using advanced pattern matching. The ChatGPT experience is a bit like "if Google could talk". You ask it a question, and then it will scour its vast database of information (mostly from the Internet) to generate the most convincing answer. You can make an account for ChatGPT and start playing around with it here.

In quizbowl, most of the focus has been on ChatGPT's ability to write questions, and (let's be honest) ChatGPT sucks at it. However, I'd like to focus on how you can use ChatGPT* as a study tool, especially as a high school player. I would like to acknowledge that not all information from ChatGPT is 100% accurate, and it should not be treated as such! This is part of the reason it is so bad for writing questions— during question writing, precision is critical. However, for many things where precision is less critical, ChatGPT is the most efficient way to get the necessary information. I'll focus on three areas in which ChatGPT has helped me greatly: clarification, context, and differentiation. I'll be comparing it to Wikipedia, which was usually my starting point for information when I was learning about a topic.

ChatGPT for Clarification

One of the best features of Wikipedia is its ubiquitous blue linking system, which allows you to break down a confusing topic into smaller pieces. But Wikipedia can also take a long time to "bottom out" (getting you to a place of understanding), and this caused me to run into snags in high school, especially when I tried to learn about science topics. As an example, let's take a topic I failed to learn about in high school from Wikipedia: Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. (For context, this is a clue that appears in many, many angular momentum tossups, and I just wanted to know what it meant.) The Wikipedia blurb is below:
In physics, the Clebsch–Gordan (CG) coefficients are numbers that arise in angular momentum coupling in quantum mechanics. They appear as the expansion coefficients of total angular momentum eigenstates in an uncoupled tensor product basis. In more mathematical terms, the CG coefficients are used in representation theory, particularly of compact Lie groups, to perform the explicit direct sum decomposition of the tensor product of two irreducible representations (i.e., a reducible representation into irreducible representations, in cases where the numbers and types of irreducible components are already known abstractly). The name derives from the German mathematicians Alfred Clebsch and Paul Gordan, who encountered an equivalent problem in invariant theory.
In this case, I would have to look up "expansion coefficient", "eigenstates", "tensor product", and "basis" before I could even begin to understand what is going on here. Doable, but maybe more trouble than it's worth! (I know because I did try to do those things.) On the other hand, let's look at ChatGPT's response:
Please explain Clebsch-Gordan coefficients like I'm ten.
Sure! Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are mathematical numbers that help us understand how angular momentum works in quantum mechanics. Let's imagine you have two particles, like electrons, and they each have their own angular momentum.

Angular momentum is a property that describes how something is spinning or rotating. It's kind of like how the Earth spins around its axis. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum comes in discrete units called "quantum numbers."

Now, when you have two particles, their total angular momentum is the combination of their individual angular momenta. The Clebsch-Gordan coefficients help us figure out all the possible values the total angular momentum can take and how likely they are.

You can think of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients as little "rules" that tell us how to add the individual angular momenta to get the total angular momentum. It's like having a recipe to follow!

The Clebsch-Gordan coefficients have some important properties. They depend on the quantum numbers of the two particles, like their individual angular momenta. They also tell us how likely different combinations of total angular momentum are.

Scientists use Clebsch-Gordan coefficients to understand and predict the outcomes of various quantum mechanical processes, like the interactions between particles or the behavior of atoms.

It's important to note that Clebsch-Gordan coefficients can be quite complex, and understanding them fully requires a deep understanding of mathematics and quantum mechanics. But at a basic level, they help us understand how angular momentum works when we have multiple particles interacting with each other.
Now, obviously some information is lost here. This explanation is not as rigorous as the Wikipedia one, and some of it might be overly reductive. But as a non-science player, this answer would have told me everything I wanted to know. It tells me enough to get me to the point where I sorta get what's going on (without having to learn a ton of physics), while also acknowledging that there is more nuance than what is shown on the page.

But the best part about ChatGPT is that you can ask follow-up questions to get more clarification on what you want. You can think of this as the "blue link equivalent" of ChatGPT. Instead of clicking on a term you're confused about, you just ask ChatGPT what it is! ChatGPT will generally "bottom out" much faster, since you can easily hone in on the stuff you're confused about and why you're confused. Let's ask it to elaborate on its past response:
Can you elaborate on what quantum numbers are (like I'm ten)?
Certainly! Quantum numbers are special values that we use in quantum mechanics to describe different properties of particles. They are like labels that help us keep track of important characteristics of particles, such as their energy, angular momentum, and other properties.

Let's imagine we have an electron, which is a tiny particle that orbits around an atom's nucleus. To understand and describe the behavior of electrons, we use different quantum numbers.

The most common quantum numbers are:

Principal Quantum Number (n): This number tells us the energy level or shell that the electron is in. It describes how far the electron is from the nucleus. The higher the value of "n," the farther the electron is from the nucleus and the more energy it has.

Angular Momentum Quantum Number (l): This number describes the shape of the electron's orbit. It tells us the orbital angular momentum of the electron. For example, if "l" is 0, it means the electron has a spherical-shaped orbit around the nucleus. If "l" is 1, it means the electron has a more elongated or dumbbell-shaped orbit.

Magnetic Quantum Number (m): This number tells us the orientation of the electron's orbit in space. It gives us information about the direction of the electron's angular momentum. It can have values from -l to +l, including 0. So if "l" is 1, "m" can be -1, 0, or 1.

These quantum numbers help us understand and predict where electrons are located around the nucleus and how they move. They also help us determine how electrons behave when they interact with each other or with other particles.

Quantum numbers might seem a bit abstract, but they're really useful in quantum mechanics to describe the properties and behaviors of particles. Scientists use them to study atoms, molecules, and many other things at the tiniest scale!
And we can keep going. I hope you can already start to imagine scenarios in which this would be helpful! (Maybe not even just in quizbowl, but also just general situations where you want to understand something quickly.) Another area besides science where ChatGPT really excels at clarifying (and Wikipedia sucks) is math. Take a look at this Wikipedia blurb for quotient groups:
A quotient group or factor group is a mathematical group obtained by aggregating similar elements of a larger group using an equivalence relation that preserves some of the group structure (the rest of the structure is "factored" out). For example, the cyclic group of addition modulo n can be obtained from the group of integers under addition by identifying elements that differ by a multiple of n and defining a group structure that operates on each such class (known as a congruence class) as a single entity. It is part of the mathematical field known as group theory.
This is... pretty hard to understand, especially for non-math people. Math pages on Wikipedia usually contain so much jargon that it can be difficult to understand even the ones for simple topics. But in this case, ChatGPT comes to the rescue:
What is a quotient group explained in plain English?
In plain English, a quotient group is a way of "simplifying" a group by "ignoring" or "collapsing" certain parts of it that follow a particular pattern. To be more specific, we start with a group (let's imagine this as a collection of things with some operation that combines them, like addition or multiplication) and we have a subgroup (a part of the group that behaves like a group itself). Then we group together all the elements in the main group that differ by an element in the subgroup.

Imagine you are sorting out your clothes and you decide to treat all blue jeans, no matter their slight differences, as "the same" because you don't care about the brand, or whether they're light or dark blue. Your closet is the original group, the blue jeans form a subgroup, and the act of treating them all as the same gives you a "quotient closet" of your original closet.
This explanation is not just more helpful than the Wikipedia one, but also just excellent in its own right. From this explanation, it's much easier to see what the Wikipedia explanation was going for. But how long would it have taken to get there without the ChatGPT explanation? There are far more complicated math topics where the ChatGPT answer is even more obviously useful than the Wikipedia equivalent.

All of this is just a small fraction of ChatGPT's clarification abilities. It can elaborate on any topic, adapt an existing explanation into a different style, and even just throw out an explanation and start over with a new approach. All you have to do is ask. So be creative! (And be specific!)

ChatGPT for Context

One of my biggest quizbowl difficulties when I was a high schooler was contextualizing the authors that I learned about. When I learned about an author, I didn't have any real sense of the "big picture", or why there was even a literary canon at all. Of course, there are plenty of sources where you can get this information (like a scholarly text). But as a high schooler, this context was sometimes difficult enough to get that I couldn't be bothered. This is especially true when the author isn't popular enough to get, say, a Shmoop article written about them. For example, let's look at the Wikipedia blurb for Katherine Anne Porter:
Katherine Anne Porter (May 15, 1890 – September 18, 1980) was an American journalist, essayist, short story writer, novelist, poet and political activist. Her 1962 novel Ship of Fools was the best-selling novel in America that year, but her short stories received much more critical acclaim.
The article then turns into a biography of her life, and it enumerates her most famous works. This is relevant information, but it tells you very little about why you should care about Katherine Anne Porter, or her relevance to the broader literary canon. As a high schooler, I would have been like "okay, that sure is a person I have to know" and then moved on.

But what happens if we plug a thoughtful prompt about Katherine Anne Porter into ChatGPT?
Who was Katherine Anne Porter, and why were her works important to the literary canon? In this response, please also enumerate her most famous books and explain why they stand out.
Katherine Anne Porter was an American writer known for her significant contributions to the literary canon. Born on May 15, 1890, in Indian Creek, Texas, Porter wrote fiction that explored themes of love, betrayal, and the complexities of human relationships. Her works often incorporated autobiographical elements and reflected her own experiences and observations.

Porter's most famous books include:

"Flowering Judas" (1930): This collection of short stories established Porter as a talented writer. The title story, "Flowering Judas," is often regarded as one of her finest works. It explores the struggles and disillusionment of a young woman named Laura during the Mexican revolution. The story showcases Porter's ability to delve into the psychological depths of her characters and her skillful use of symbolism.

"Pale Horse, Pale Rider" (1939): This collection features three novellas, with the title novella being the most notable. Set during the influenza epidemic of 1918, "Pale Horse, Pale Rider" tells the story of a young woman named Miranda and her relationship with a soldier named Adam. It skillfully combines personal and historical events, depicting the harsh realities of war and the fragility of life.

"Ship of Fools" (1962): This novel, Porter's only full-length work, gained significant acclaim. Set aboard a ship sailing from Mexico to Germany in 1931, the narrative explores the lives of various passengers who represent a cross-section of society. Through rich characterizations and social commentary, Porter examines the prejudices and moral decay prevalent in pre-World War II Europe.

Porter's works are important to the literary canon for several reasons. First, her writing style is characterized by vivid descriptions, careful attention to detail, and a poetic quality that captivates readers. She had a keen understanding of human nature and portrayed complex, multidimensional characters. Porter's stories often delved into the psychological and emotional aspects of her characters' lives, offering profound insights into the human condition.

Furthermore, Porter's works frequently addressed social and historical issues, making them not only compelling narratives but also important commentaries on the times in which she lived. Her stories often explored themes such as the consequences of betrayal, the impact of war, and the struggles of women in a patriarchal society.

Overall, Katherine Anne Porter's contributions to the literary canon lie in her ability to craft poignant and evocative narratives, explore complex human emotions, and shed light on societal issues. Her works continue to resonate with readers, cementing her place as a significant figure in American literature.
This is already pretty good! It really gives you a vibe for the author, something much more likely to stick in your brain than isolated plot details and characters would. And it gives you some leads for future inquiry. So let's go deeper! We're going to ask a more interesting question:
You said that Katherine Anne Porter was known for her ability to explore complex emotions and shed light on societal issues. But many American authors in the 1930s did this; what about Porter's work made her more well-known than most of her contemporaries in the modern day?
You raise an important point. While it is true that many American authors in the 1930s explored complex emotions and societal issues, Katherine Anne Porter's work stands out for several reasons, contributing to her enduring recognition and influence in the modern day.

Craftsmanship and Style: Porter was renowned for her meticulous attention to detail and craftsmanship in her writing. Her prose was characterized by its elegance, precision, and vivid imagery. She employed a keen sense of symbolism, metaphor, and allusion, creating layered narratives that resonated with readers. Her ability to capture the nuances of human emotions and relationships in a lyrical and evocative manner set her apart from her contemporaries.

Psychological Depth: Porter's exploration of characters' inner lives and psychological complexities was exceptional. She delved into the depths of her characters' thoughts and emotions, providing readers with profound insights into their motivations, fears, and desires. This psychological depth added layers of richness to her stories and allowed readers to deeply connect with her characters' experiences.

Autobiographical Elements: Porter drew heavily from her own life experiences in her writing, infusing her stories with a sense of authenticity and personal investment. Her characters often mirrored her own struggles, disappointments, and triumphs, lending a distinct voice and perspective to her work. This intimate connection to her narratives and the emotional resonance they carried resonated with readers, making her stories feel particularly genuine and relatable.

Nuanced Social Commentary: While many writers of the time tackled societal issues, Porter's approach was characterized by nuance and subtlety. She examined complex social dynamics and class structures, delving into the underlying motivations and contradictions of her characters. Her stories were not didactic or overtly political but instead offered a deeper exploration of the human condition within the broader social context. This nuanced social commentary has contributed to the enduring relevance of her work.

Literary Recognition: Porter's works received significant critical acclaim and recognition during her lifetime. She was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1966 for her Collected Stories, further cementing her reputation as a literary luminary. This recognition has played a role in sustaining her legacy and ensuring her continued prominence in the literary canon.

In summary, while many American authors of the 1930s engaged with complex emotions and societal issues, Katherine Anne Porter's distinct craftsmanship, psychological depth, autobiographical elements, nuanced social commentary, and critical acclaim have elevated her work above that of many of her contemporaries. These factors have contributed to her enduring reputation and the continued appreciation of her writing in the modern day.
Already, we are getting a much deeper glimpse into the context of Porter's work than we would from a comparably easy Internet search. And we can do so much more! In general, I talk to ChatGPT as if it is my friend who knows almost everything about literature, but they just get the facts jumbled up in their head sometimes. Even if my friend says a couple wrong things, I'm not just going to discredit everything they say about literature! ChatGPT should be no different. Let's play around a bit more, just to give you a taste of some of the good stuff you can get out of ChatGPT.
Who are some authors that are often compared to Katherine Anne Porter?
Several authors are often compared to Katherine Anne Porter due to their shared thematic concerns, stylistic approaches, or the historical context in which they wrote. Here are a few authors who are commonly mentioned in relation to Porter:

Eudora Welty: Welty, a fellow Southern writer, is often compared to Porter due to their shared exploration of complex human relationships, use of vivid imagery, and attention to the Southern experience. Both writers were known for their ability to capture the nuances of Southern culture and convey the psychological depth of their characters.

William Faulkner: Faulkner, another prominent Southern writer, is sometimes compared to Porter for their shared interest in the complexities of human nature and their examination of the South's historical legacy. Both writers employed intricate narrative structures, delved into the psychological depths of their characters, and explored themes such as race, class, and the effects of the past on the present.

Flannery O'Connor: O'Connor, a Southern Gothic writer, is often mentioned in comparison to Porter for their exploration of the human condition and their darkly humorous approach to storytelling. Both writers incorporated elements of irony, religious themes, and social commentary in their works, while delving into the complexities of morality and the flawed nature of humanity.

Carson McCullers: McCullers, an American novelist and playwright, is sometimes compared to Porter due to their shared exploration of themes such as loneliness, love, and the struggles of marginalized individuals. Both writers created deeply empathetic portrayals of their characters' inner lives, revealing the complexities of human emotions and the universal desire for connection.

Virginia Woolf: While Woolf was a British writer, she is occasionally compared to Porter for their shared interest in the interior lives of characters and their innovative narrative techniques. Both writers pushed the boundaries of traditional storytelling and delved into the psychological complexities of their characters, offering insightful commentary on gender, society, and the nature of art.

It's important to note that while these authors share certain similarities with Katherine Anne Porter, each of them has their unique style, thematic concerns, and contributions to literature. Comparisons are often made to highlight commonalities in their work or to situate Porter within a broader literary context.
Why are Flannery O'Connor's stories more commonly taught in school than Katherine Anne Porter's? Also, has Flannery O'Connor's reputation increased relative to Porter's since her death, or has O'Connor always been more well-known? If so, why?
The greater prominence of Flannery O'Connor's stories in school curricula compared to those of Katherine Anne Porter can be attributed to several factors, including O'Connor's distinctive style, thematic focus, and critical reception. Additionally, the trajectory of their reputations since their deaths has seen O'Connor's rise in prominence relative to Porter.

Distinctive Style and Thematic Focus: O'Connor's stories are often characterized by their Southern Gothic elements, dark humor, and grotesque portrayals of human nature. Her narratives frequently explore themes of sin, redemption, and the limitations of human understanding. O'Connor's unique blend of religious imagery, moral dilemmas, and sharply drawn characters has made her work particularly compelling and memorable for students and teachers alike.

Literary Recognition and Critical Reception: O'Connor's stories garnered significant attention and acclaim during her lifetime, and her reputation has continued to grow since her death in 1964. She received numerous prestigious awards, including the National Book Award for Fiction in 1972, which further solidified her place in the literary canon. Critical analysis and scholarly attention have also contributed to O'Connor's enduring reputation, making her work a subject of study in academic settings.

Cultural and Historical Factors: O'Connor's writings, with their exploration of Southern identity, religious faith, and the complexities of race and class, resonate with ongoing discussions and examinations of these topics in American culture. Her stories provide rich material for exploring issues of power, morality, and the Southern experience, making them particularly relevant in educational contexts.

As for the comparison between O'Connor and Porter, it is worth noting that O'Connor's reputation has increased relative to Porter's since their deaths. While both authors enjoyed critical acclaim in their lifetimes, O'Connor's posthumous recognition has been more pronounced. This increased reputation can be attributed to various factors, including the continued popularity of Southern Gothic literature, O'Connor's unique narrative style, and her ability to grapple with existential and moral questions in a distinctive manner.

Furthermore, O'Connor's premature death at the age of 39 and the publication of "The Complete Stories" shortly after her passing contributed to a renewed interest in her work. The publication of this collection allowed readers to fully appreciate the breadth and depth of O'Connor's storytelling prowess. In contrast, Porter, who lived until 1980, published fewer works and did not have a comparable posthumous surge in popularity.

Ultimately, while both O'Connor and Porter are celebrated writers, the distinctiveness of O'Connor's style, thematic focus, critical reception, and the cultural zeitgeist surrounding her work have contributed to her greater prominence in school curricula and the wider literary landscape.
This is good stuff. Obviously, you'll get a much more holistic picture if you just read the author's works, or if you read some scholarly commentary about them. But how long is that going to take? When I was in high school, I had a very "go, go, go" attitude. I would have appreciated a tool where you can just ask and receive on the fly. Many quizbowl players I know like to jump from topic to topic on the Internet, only staying in place for a short time before rabbit-holing somewhere else. ChatGPT does a really good job of facilitating this tendency, so I imagine it would be especially helpful for those types of people.

ChatGPT for Differentiation

One other thing that I struggled with in high school was learning the differences between philosophers. Sometimes the answer was pretty cut and dry, like if I was comparing Jeremy Bentham and Immanuel Kant. But other times it was a lot murkier. For example, let's say I was trying to learn about the similar philosophers Max Horkheimer and Herbert Marcuse. Their Wikipedia blurbs are as follows:
Max Horkheimer (/ˈhɔːrkhaɪmər/; German: [ˈhɔɐ̯kˌhaɪmɐ]; 14 February 1895 – 7 July 1973) was a German philosopher and sociologist who was famous for his work in critical theory as a member of the Frankfurt School of social research. Horkheimer addressed authoritarianism, militarism, economic disruption, environmental crisis, and the poverty of mass culture using the philosophy of history as a framework. This became the foundation of critical theory. His most important works include Eclipse of Reason (1947), Between Philosophy and Social Science (1930–1938) and, in collaboration with Theodor Adorno, Dialectic of Enlightenment (1947). Through the Frankfurt School, Horkheimer planned, supported and made other significant works possible.
Herbert Marcuse (/mɑːrˈkuːzə/; German: [maʁˈkuːzə]; July 19, 1898 – July 29, 1979) was a German-American philosopher, social critic, and political theorist, associated with the Frankfurt School of critical theory. Born in Berlin, Marcuse studied at the Humboldt University of Berlin and then at Freiburg, where he received his PhD. He was a prominent figure in the Frankfurt-based Institute for Social Research – what later became known as the Frankfurt School. He was married to Sophie Wertheim (1924–1951), Inge Neumann (1955–1973), and Erica Sherover (1976–1979). In his written works, he criticized capitalism, modern technology, Soviet Communism, and popular culture, arguing that they represent new forms of social control.

Between 1943 and 1950, Marcuse worked in US government service for the Office of Strategic Services (predecessor of the Central Intelligence Agency) where he criticized the ideology of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union in the book Soviet Marxism: A Critical Analysis (1958). In the 1960s and the 1970s, he became known as the preeminent theorist of the New Left and the student movements of West Germany, France, and the United States; some consider him "the Father of the New Left".

His best-known works are Eros and Civilization (1955) and One-Dimensional Man (1964). His Marxist scholarship inspired many radical intellectuals and political activists in the 1960s and 1970s, both in the United States and internationally.
Again, these are pretty good blurbs! But it would take a lot of effort for me to actually tease out the differences in views between similar philosophers like these. Let's see what ChatGPT has to say:
Please enumerate the main philosophical differences between Max Horkheimer and Herbert Marcuse in plain English.
Max Horkheimer and Herbert Marcuse were both prominent philosophers associated with the Frankfurt School, but they held different perspectives on certain key philosophical issues. Here are some of their main philosophical differences explained in plain English:

Critical Theory: Horkheimer is considered one of the founders of critical theory, which analyzes society and culture to uncover and challenge oppressive structures. Horkheimer emphasized the role of reason and sought to expose how capitalist societies perpetuate domination. On the other hand, Marcuse expanded upon critical theory by focusing more on the concept of liberation and the possibility of overcoming oppression through radical social change.

Role of Reason: Horkheimer emphasized the importance of instrumental reason, which refers to the application of rationality for the efficient accomplishment of goals. He argued that instrumental reason has become dominant in modern society, leading to the exploitation and alienation of individuals. In contrast, Marcuse was critical of instrumental reason and advocated for a more holistic, intuitive, and emancipatory use of reason. He believed that a one-dimensional rationality stifled creativity and human liberation.

Liberation: Horkheimer focused on the critique of capitalism and the oppressive structures within it. He believed that liberation could be achieved through a transformation of social and economic relations. Marcuse, on the other hand, extended this critique to encompass what he called "repressive tolerance," where seemingly tolerant societies still perpetuate systemic oppression. He emphasized the need for a radical break from the existing order to achieve true liberation.

Repression and Sublimation: Horkheimer explored the concept of repression, which refers to the psychological mechanisms through which individuals suppress their desires and conform to social norms. He believed that repression played a central role in maintaining the existing social order. Marcuse built upon this idea and introduced the concept of sublimation, which refers to the transformation of repressed desires into socially acceptable forms. He argued that sublimation perpetuates the status quo by channeling dissent into harmless outlets, rather than challenging the oppressive system itself.

Technology and Alienation: Both philosophers recognized the alienating effects of modern technology. However, Horkheimer saw technology as inherently neutral, with its impact determined by the social and economic structures in which it is embedded. Marcuse, on the other hand, believed that technology, under capitalism, becomes a tool of domination and control, further alienating individuals. He criticized the technological apparatus for facilitating the manipulation and homogenization of society.

These are simplified explanations of some of the main differences between Horkheimer and Marcuse, highlighting their varying views on critical theory, reason, liberation, repression, sublimation, and technology. Keep in mind that their philosophies were complex and nuanced, so further exploration of their original works is recommended for a more comprehensive understanding.
Not only is this explanation good, but (at least for me personally), it inspires you to go in so many different directions. I might be like, "wow, this idea of repressive tolerance sounds super interesting, maybe I'll go learn more about it!". Or, "huh, I wonder what led to them to end up with such different views on the nature of technology?". It's questions like these that make studying for quizbowl really great, and it's great that we now have a tool that allows us to better explore these questions. As long as we use the other ones to keep it in check, ChatGPT is a great addition to the set of tools we have to help us understand the world.

Final Thoughts

ChatGPT's comparative advantages are speed and convenience. It may not be the most reliable source of information, and it may not be the most comprehensive one. But hey, neither is Wikipedia! In both cases, we use it because it makes our lives easier. Sometimes we don't need the best information; we just need sufficient information to understand what's going on. And as we saw from this post, there are some things that ChatGPT is uniquely good at! I feel like I've only scratched the surface when it comes to creative ways to use ChatGPT, so I'd be interested to hear other ways in which people have used ChatGPT for quizbowl below. Thanks for reading!

Some other fun questions I've thought of for ChatGPT:
  • How have X's ideas most directly influenced the modern discourse?
  • How might culture have been different if X had not lived?
  • What works of classic literature inspired <TV Show / movie> (or just modern TV in general)?
  • Generate a hypothetical dialogue between X and Y that emphasizes the differences between their views.
  • Generate a hypothetical semester-by-semester college curriculum designed by X. Elaborate on why X would have wanted each course to be included and why they would have chosen it to be taught at that point in the college curriculum.
* = All of these responses (except for the math one) were generated by ChatGPT-3.5 (as opposed to ChatGPT-4, which is locked to paid subscribers). II wanted to show that the tool is still helpful even if you aren't paying for it. I would imagine that ChatGPT-4 responses are even more helpful.
Kevin Kodama
University of Washington '23