ACRONYM 16 at VCU (Sunday July 9 2023)

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

ACRONYM 16 at VCU (Sunday July 9 2023)

Post by Matt Weiner »

VCU will be hosting an open weekend on July 8+9. The Sunday tournament will be an open mirror of the ACRONYM 16 popular culture tournament. All events will take place on the second floor of Harris Hall at our main campus in Richmond (our usual tournament building). On Saturday July 8 we will be hosting a mirror of NASAT.

Express interest and form teams here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing Once you have a full team for ACRONYM, send me an email at [email protected] indicating that your roster is final and you are definitely planning on attending.

VCU is easily accessible by all means of transportation, particularly during the summer when everything is less crowded. For those who are interested in attending and do not drive, there are many options for food and lodging near the campus that are within walking distance or on the bus line. Richmond's Bus Rapid Transit system remains free of charge as of 2023. A taxi or Uber from the airport or the Amtrak station is usually about $15. I will be happy to provide individualized advice in this regard if you get in touch with me.

Eligibility is fully open to anyone who has not previously seen the ACRONYM 16 questions in any capacity.

The team fee is $120 with a $5 discount for a fully working buzzer. Minimum fee is $0. As this event is not being conducted through school-based teams, the notion of "staffer discounts" will be somewhat case-by-case, but if you are bringing someone to the tournament in your car to staff we will work something out. You can pay us on or before the day of the tournament via Zelle, Venmo, or check, or by running a card through my Square reader (there will be a surcharge for this to cover Square's processing fee, and you should just link your card to a Venmo account instead, if at all possible). You can also pay after the tournament has concluded if you want to pay an extra $25 late fee for the privilege.

You can take $10 off your fee for this tournament for every team member who staffs the NASAT mirror on the previous day.

We will also be mirroring Mike Cheyne baseball tournament on Sunday.

All participants in the weekend are expected to be familiar with the code of conduct designed to provide a safe and inclusive environment at Quizbowl at VCU events.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org