2023 NASAT @ Columbia (Open)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
thedoge
Lulu

2023 NASAT @ Columbia (Open)

Post by thedoge »

I am pleased to announce that Columbia Quiz Bowl will be hosting a mirror of 2023 NASAT on July 29th, 2023. The tournament will be held at Columbia University in Pupin Hall and directed by Geoffrey Wu.

Rules:

This tournament will be using ACF’s gameplay rules, including the optional addendum on powermarks. This is an open tournament, so any player who has not played NASAT or otherwise seen the questions can play.

Payment:
The fee structure for each team is the following:
- Base fee: $120 USD
- Buzzer discount: -$5 / working buzzer set
- Approved moderator discount: -$15 / staffer
- Minimum fee: $50 USD

More information about payment will be sent out in a later email.

A team formation spreadsheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

To officially register for the tournament, please email me at geoffreywu1000 AT gmail DOT com with your roster and the buzzers you are bringing, as well as the names of any staffers and their emails.

The field will initially be capped at 16, which may be expanded depending on staffers and interest. Any teams above the cap will be placed on a waitlist. The registration deadline is July 27th, 2023.
Last edited by thedoge on Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoffrey Wu
NNHS '21 | Columbia '25
creator of qbreader.org
thedoge
Lulu

Re: 2023 NASAT @ Columbia (Open)

Post by thedoge »

I would like to clarify that NASAT does not have any power marks
Geoffrey Wu
NNHS '21 | Columbia '25
creator of qbreader.org
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I'll be running my transportation side event, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, after the main tournament on Saturday.

Here is a sheet to sign up to play or staff.

I'll plan on running it as doubles unless the interest is unusually low (in which case we'll play it as a shootout) or unusually high (in which case we will combine or otherwise enlarge teams).
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

I am out of town a bunch this summer but should be around this weekend—if there's anyone else around who's similarly old and washed and wants to hang out for the day, let's do it! Should know my availability for sure some time next week .
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Seeking teammates, especially ones who know science of various sorts.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
thedoge
Lulu

Post by thedoge »

Looks like I put the wrong email address on the original forum post (now fixed). Please email me at geoffreywu1000 at gmail dot com to register (and apologies to anyone who has already tried to register).
Geoffrey Wu
NNHS '21 | Columbia '25
creator of qbreader.org
thedoge
Lulu

Post by thedoge »

If you’re a free agent for this tournament, please try to form/find a team by end of day Sunday, July 23rd. On Monday, I will automatically assign free agents to teams. Pending any last-minute signups, it looks like we’ll have 8 teams for this tournament.
Geoffrey Wu
NNHS '21 | Columbia '25
creator of qbreader.org
Arabidopsis failiana
Lulu

Post by Arabidopsis failiana »

I am in need of teammates. I'm not particularly good and will probably get a few questions close to the end, and I am happy to play with anyone with a similar self-assessment. I am excited to play quizbowl and have a nice time just by being here.
Mark Bailey
T.C. Williams High School class of 2019
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Mirza/Mitch/Myself will be playing on a team - open to anyone as a fourth, just drop us/me a line.

We are old and bad (except Mitch - he's pretty good!) so set expectations accordingly if you want to play with us. Mirza might miss the first 1 - 2 rounds as he's getting in early in the AM.
Michael Z
NYU '13
Edward Lansdale
Lulu

Post by Edward Lansdale »

csheep wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:13 pm We are old and bad\
I wasn't any good when I was younger either.
Mirza Ahmed
New York University '12
Keck Graduate Institute '15
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

CPiGuy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:08 pm I'll be running my transportation side event, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, after the main tournament on Saturday.

I'll plan on running it as doubles unless the interest is unusually low (in which case we'll play it as a shootout) or unusually high (in which case we will combine or otherwise enlarge teams).
This is still happening. I'll charge $10/player. If we have 4 or more doubles teams we'll play it as doubles, otherwise we'll shoot out the packets.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

CPiGuy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:59 am
CPiGuy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:08 pm I'll be running my transportation side event, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, after the main tournament on Saturday.

This is still happening. I'll charge $10/player. If we have 4 or more doubles teams we'll play it as doubles, otherwise we'll shoot out the packets.
At long last there are stats.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16