Baseball: Online (August 12)

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Cheynem
Sin

Baseball: Online (August 12)

Post by Cheynem »

This is an announcement for an online mirror of my all-tossup side event about baseball in the second half of the 20th century (roughly 1950-2000, although there will obviously be plenty of clues not from this time period).

The tournament will run Saturday, August 12. I would expect, since this is just 7 rounds and tossups, not to take very long, so we'll probably start in the early afternoon.

There is a cap of 8 teams. We'll start using doubles teams, but we can create a few 3-person teams if we need to. If we get 7 teams, I reserve the right to rearrange teams to get an even number. A 6-team format would be a round robin of 5 rounds followed by playoffs. An 8-team format is just a straight round robin (there is no finals or tiebreaker here, just like in the 2002 All-Star Game). If people have deep opinions about the format, let me know.

The cost will be $10 a player. It's best to pay me through PayPal since I don't have Venmo (look for @MichaelCheyne).

Here is a spreadsheet for team formation.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
You are not officially registered though until you e-mail me at chey0004 AT umn DOT edu.

I am also looking for at least three readers/staffers. I will pay them $10. We will probably be doing this through Zoom. Please let me know immediately if you can staff.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Baseball: Online (August 12)

Post by Cheynem »

We currently have 8 people (or four teams). If this is the field, we'll do a double round robin-finals, but I'll keep registration open through next week.

In order to have more teams play, though, I would need more staffers. So I will again repeat my call for staffers--I will pay $10.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I have one more staffer, so we can support 6 teams. I would suggest at the moment that the players signed up as free agents form teams, but one or two teams at the moment might need to have 3 people. (If I get another staffer, we can do 8 teams).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Not having gotten any staffers and not anticipating any (there are two other online events that day, which I was unaware of), I will say we should just do 6 teams of 3 players each. I understand that Jordan Parks actually has a 3-person team already that just isn't on the spreadsheet, but if everybody else could update their teams to 3 players, that would be great. I think one team would still just have 2 people, but they can obviously add someone else.

I'll post more details after CO weekend, but basically for now:

-6 teams of 3 players
-We'll do a round robin. Then 1 v 4/2 v 3 playoff game, followed by the winners/losers of those games playing for championship or placement. 5/6 would play each other at least once for placement, then I guess leave/play each other again/do a shootout/rearrange teams and play again.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This tournament will be 6 teams of up to 3 players. I will send out more information about how the tournament is going to run and the Zoom link etc. around Thursday or so (it will be on Saturday, probably starting around 1 EST--it's 7 tossup only packets, so I don't see this going very long).

What I need folks to do before then is to form teams of 3 people if you haven't already. If you're not planning on playing anymore, please take your name off the sheet. We don't currently have enough for all of the six teams to have 3 people, so feel free to seek out other teammates not on the sheet.

If teams aren't set before Wednesday evening, I'll take people left on the free agent list and move them to teams. I'll try and avoid teams of just one people, obviously. You can also engage in free agency signings or trades, just like a real MLB team!

There is still room for at least two more people to play, and I would love a "stand-by staffer," whom I would still pay $10 if they staffed or not.

Current Field
Forrest/Riley/Albert
Jeff/Tucker/Ryan
Ryan/Jonathan/Gabe
Jonathan/Paul/Emmett
Dan/Jonah
Ben/Delano/Jon
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

There is currently one slot open on a two person team (plus I am unsure if some of the people signed up are actually playing). So if you want to play tomorrow, let me know ASAP.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Ted Hot Lilly Peppers (Jonathan Mishory, Paul Kasinski, Emmett Laurie) defeated Dallas McPherson's Son (Jonathan Magin, Ryan Rosenberg, Gabe Brison) to win this tournament. Stats to come at some point.

Stats: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/8 ... all_games/
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota