UCF Open Trash 2023

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
agemats
Lulu

UCF Open Trash 2023

Post by agemats »

Hello all,

We are excited to announce the first UCF Open Trash tournament! It will be held on Saturday, September 2, 2023. This is a house write we’ve cooked up for six rounds of gameplay plus a finals match.

Packets
We’ve tweaked the standard trash distribution some:
  • (4/4) Movies
  • (4/4) Music
  • (3/3) Other/Mixed
  • (2/2) TV
  • (2/2) Video Games
  • (2/2) Internet Culture
  • (2/2) Sports
  • (1/1) Otaku Culture
Tossups will include power markings. Clues and answers will skew towards the last thirty years, but not exclusively. Sports content is limited to the big three (basketball, soccer, and American football)

For simplicity's sake, moderators will follow ACF rules for gameplay and tiebreakers: https://acf-quizbowl.com/gameplay-rules/.

Registration
You can register as part of a team or as a free agent here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dit#gid=0).

The base fee is $50 per team, or $12.50 per free agent. Profits will go to the treasury of the UCF quiz bowl club.

The registration deadline is midnight on Thursday, August 31.

The field cap is eight teams.

We will be acknowledging the top three teams as well as the top three highest-scoring individuals, each of whom will receive glory and bragging rights as their prizes.

Logistics
The tournament will take place in-person, in Business Administration I. The opening meeting will begin at 9:45am, and gameplay will begin at 10:00am. Additional details will be emailed to teams before the tournament.

Contact
The tournament direction team is Henry Keating and Shiva Tegulla. Questions and concerns can be directed to us at [email protected].

Disclaimers
Our writing team has done our best over the past year (!) to create fun, reasonably well-written, pyramidal questions with similar lengths and difficulties. That being said, please note that none of our writers have significant tournament writing experience. This tournament is intended just as a fun side event, so we appreciate your patience in the case of errors on our part!

Some information is potentially subject to change; if changes occur, they will be posted on this thread.

In the event of protests, we will do our very best to make an impartial, accurate call, but please note that the decision of the protest committee is final.
Last edited by agemats on Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Keating
UCF '23
UCF '25
dni
Lulu

Re: UCF Open Trash 2023

Post by dni »

What day is this tournament?
Dan Ni
Langley '19
Cornell '23
Woody
Lulu

Post by Woody »

Any chance you'll hold an online mirror of this as well?
Jimmy Dunn
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl 2004-2009
Michigan State University 2009-2013
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl Coach 2017-present
agemats
Lulu

Post by agemats »

dni wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:32 pm What day is this tournament?
Whoops! Post has been updated to include this (Saturday, September 2) :grin:
Henry Keating
UCF '23
UCF '25
agemats
Lulu

Post by agemats »

Woody wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:32 pm Any chance you'll hold an online mirror of this as well?
We are definitely open to it—once our in-person tournament is done, we'll discuss this further with our team.
Henry Keating
UCF '23
UCF '25
agemats
Lulu

Post by agemats »

Update: We've expanded the field to ten teams! Registration closes at 11:59pm on next Thursday, August 31.
Henry Keating
UCF '23
UCF '25
agemats
Lulu

Post by agemats »

Logistical Details - just in case we missed somebody...

Thank you for joining us for the 2023 UCF Trash Open, this Saturday, September 2nd!

Time
The opening meeting is at 9:45 AM, with games starting promptly at 10:00 AM. We realize that some players have a long drive ahead of them, so our goal is to finish round seven by 5:00pm and then announce the winners.

The tournament will be held on the second floor of the Student Union. Our control room will be room 220. If you’re walking in the front door of the Student Union (with the big seal on the ground in front of you), our competition rooms are in the upper right-hand corner of the second floor.

Tournament Format
We will be playing a seven round, single round robin.

Parking
Since it’s the weekend, you can park anywhere on campus (including spots marked “Faculty” or “Staff”), with the notable exception of:
• Spots labeled “Service Vehicles Only”
• Spots labeled “Reserved 24/7 - Tow-Away Zone”

We recommend parking in either Garage A (https://goo.gl/maps/71syY7zqbWTnKLRj9) or Garage I (https://goo.gl/maps/gjfesRf8hAWFyTCE9).

Lunch
If all goes as planned, we will break after round three for lunch. Most places to eat in the Student Union will be open that day (Huey Magoo’s, Steak & Shake, etc.).

Misconduct
For simplicity’s sake, we will be using ACF's gameplay rules. If any misconduct occurs, you may report it to me, any staff member, or the anonymous reporting form here. In the unfortunate event of misconduct, we reserve the right to remove or ban players as the situation requires. In the event of severe misconduct, we may need to report the incident to the UCF Title IX coordination office as well.

In Closing
We are stoked to be hosting this tournament, and we wish you all safe travels Saturday morning!

Sincerely,
Henry Keating and Shiva Tegulla
Tournament Direction Team
Last edited by agemats on Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Keating
UCF '23
UCF '25
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

This tournament happened today!

As someone who's written a lot of trash, I want to say that I think these guys did a great job! Probably like most trash sets, there are bumps, but they clearly cared a lot, had some fun and interesting questions, and I learned some pretty great stuff!

The deviation from the regular distrobution was about as hard for me as I expected, those of us from the Greatest Generation like our baseball more than otaku culture, but but beyond that I would say that this was fun and really well done! If you're on the fence about mirroring it, I think you should.

Congrats to Needy Vtuber Overload and the UCF students who beat us in the finals (by 20...). I hope I get another shot at y'all soon!
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)