2024 IQBT Undergraduate Championship Survey

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

2024 IQBT Undergraduate Championship Survey

Post by AKKOLADE »

I just sent out a survey pertaining to the 2024 Undergraduate Championship, if it should be held online, and the number of days the event should last. These went to the email addresses for teams' contacts from last year.

I am asking schools to only submit one response each. However, if the person who was the contact from last year is not going to forward that email on to you, or if you did not compete in qualifying last year and are interested in taking part this year, I would love to have your thoughts. Please email me at [email protected] to receive a copy of the survey.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: 2024 IQBT Undergraduate Championship Survey

Post by AKKOLADE »

I should make this clear: if your team did not compete in last year's Undergrad but are at all interested in doing it this year, even if you're only interested in playing if it's in-person or online, please feel free to contact me to request a survey! I'd love to have your opinion as well.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'll close this survey on Tuesday, September 26; if your team is potentially interested in playing in this year's undergraduate championship and have an opinion on being in-person or online, please fill out the survey by then! If you do not have a link to it and your team needs to respond to it, please request a survey from me.

I have responses from these schools:

Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Harvard
Johns Hopkins University
Maryland
McGill
Michigan
Murray State College
Purdue
Redlands Community College
South Dakota Mines
Tennessee
Truman State University
UCLA
UIUC
UNC
University of Toronto
University of Virginia
UT Austin
Waterloo
William & Mary
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

AKKOLADE wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:20 pm I'll close this survey on Tuesday, September 26; if your team is potentially interested in playing in this year's undergraduate championship and have an opinion on being in-person or online, please fill out the survey by then! If you do not have a link to it and your team needs to respond to it, please request a survey from me.
Today is September 26; if you'd like a survey, please contact me today.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Here are the results of the poll.

27 of the 28 voters said they were somewhat or extremely likely to compete in the Championship if they qualify.

Which of the following options most accurately reflects your team's view on the Undergraduate Championship's site?

"Our team(s) would only play ONLINE and would not play IN-PERSON" - 6 votes
"Our team(s) would prefer to play ONLINE but would likely participate if held IN-PERSON" - 8 votes
"Our team(s) would be equally likely to participate if held ONLINE or IN-PERSON" - 2 votes
"Our team(s) would prefer to play IN-PERSON but would likely participate if held ONLINE" - 7 votes
"Our team(s) would only play IN-PERSON and would not play ONLINE" - 4 votes

That's a mild 14-11 lean towards online vs. in-person.

Voters had a 12-5 preference that an online tournament be one day vs. two days.
Voters tied 10-10 that an in-person tournament be one day vs. two days.

Next step is to explore the options for in-person sites and consider what they'd look like vs. holding another Zoom tournament. It is my preference that we do a two-day championship tournament, which works against the voting for the online tournament.

We already have three inquiries into hosting the tournament in-person.

I hope to have a decision made in the next two weeks.
Fred Morlan