RIP Ed Powers

Anything that's on topic but doesn't fit elsewhere, including related events that might be of interest to quizbowl players.
AKKOLADE
Sin

RIP Ed Powers

Post by AKKOLADE »

Ed Powers, the longtime coach of New Jersey’s St. Joseph High School’s team, died on September 24.

I sadly don’t think I ever met him - if I did, it was only briefly. But we interacted a lot on the forums, especially over the rankings I did. He cared a lot about quiz bowl and often brought a chaotic energy to his posts that was entertaining and memorable. He’ll be missed.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cheynem
Sin

Re: RIP Ed Powers

Post by Cheynem »

I met Ed a couple of times--nice guy and, as you said, really cared about quizbowl.

The master of the "!!!!!!" post.

Rest in peace.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I knew Ed only as a forums legend, and it's very sad to think we won't see his trademark posts with multiple exclamation points---and triple dashes---any longer. If anyone has stories about his coaching career, I would appreciate hearing them. Rest in peace, Ed.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Ed was a delightful poster, a stalwart coach, and, apparently, an excellent free safety; he will indeed be missed. I too welcome any stories those who know him better than me would care to share!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT