A New Protobowl

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
quizzical1
Lulu

A New Protobowl

Post by quizzical1 »

To all quiz bowlers,

I propose a new protobowl, called BuzzUp.

This will have a interface with stats, rooms, leaderboards, and others. Also, moderation similar to protobowl that actually works and new questions.
Other ideas are greatly accepted.
Elliot L.
7th Grade
The Meadows School, NV
NAQT, IAC player
"Preparation is key"
Stats for my league at: lvqba.org
:party:
jtachicago
Lulu

Re: A New Protobowl

Post by jtachicago »

quizzical1 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:24 am To all quiz bowlers,

I propose a new protobowl, called BuzzUp.

This will have a interface with stats, rooms, leaderboards, and others. Also, moderation similar to protobowl that actually works and new questions.
Other ideas are greatly accepted.
This essentially already exists:
https://www.qbreader.org/multiplayer
John Augustyn (11th Grade)
  • Notre Dame MS (Clarendon Hills, 2018-2021)
NAQT Stats
HDWhite
quizzical1
Lulu

Post by quizzical1 »

qb reader is basically protobowl. I think other stuff too, like a stat menu and also audio and other cool things up for discussion.
Elliot L.
7th Grade
The Meadows School, NV
NAQT, IAC player
"Preparation is key"
cemeterysummoning
Lulu

Post by cemeterysummoning »

If you want audio, I believe someone made https://www.powerqb.org/ a few months ago, which pulls questions from a database and uses a TTS library so you can simulate "hearing" questions.
ace chun
they/he
mbhs '24
mit '28
THERAPY
dni
Lulu

Post by dni »

There should be an anti-cheating system in order to maintain competitive integrity. Such a system could be implemented using some kind of kernel mode driver players must install in order to compete against other players. I am tired of losing against players like Sinecio in these online tournaments. A robust anti-cheat system to track his behavior would provide me with the evidence I need to pursue litigation.
Dan Ni
Langley '19
Cornell '23
quizzical1
Lulu

Post by quizzical1 »

By audio, I also mean audio chat, like on protobowl.
Also, multiplayer adds a demographic unlike anything else, with its advanced chat system and teams.
Something else that is bad with protobowl is that powers are 20's, not 15's. And points reset ALL THE TIME, so a stat page would help a lot. Live events on Buzz up would be cool, too.
Elliot L.
7th Grade
The Meadows School, NV
NAQT, IAC player
"Preparation is key"
quizzical1
Lulu

Post by quizzical1 »

dni wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:44 pm There should be an anti-cheating system in order to maintain competitive integrity. Such a system could be implemented using some kind of kernel mode driver players must install in order to compete against other players. I am tired of losing against players like Sinecio in these online tournaments. A robust anti-cheat system to track his behavior would provide me with the evidence I need to pursue litigation.
I have noticed cheating. This is because Protobowl was meant just to study, not compete. This is a problem and can often ruin public rooms. By online tournaments, what do you mean? I've never heard of those.
Elliot L.
7th Grade
The Meadows School, NV
NAQT, IAC player
"Preparation is key"