MoNintendo Tournament - 2024

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Mike Bentley
Sin

MoNintendo Tournament - 2024

Post by Mike Bentley »

Inspired by Mike Cheyne's call for sets, I'm announcing MoNintendo, a set mostly on the NES and SNES eras. There will tentatively be 7 packets of 20 tossups. Each tossup will have at least 1 clue on an NES or SNES game or hardware (or, to be technical, Famicom or Super Famicom too). Many tossups will be entirely about a single NES/SNES game or draw entirely from games on these systems. But some tossups will be less strictly themed, with clues sourced from other earlier, later, and non-Nintendo systems. For instance, a tossup like this from Impossible Lair could count because of the Tanooki Suit clues:
The untranslated 1994 Sega arcade shooter Ambitions of ZunZun has you playing as one of these things. In their original appearance, Rotodics can only be destroyed when the player takes the form of one of these things. Larry Butz owns two replicas of a famous one of these objects that also doubles as a clock and a murder weapon in the first case in the original Phoenix Wright. We're not looking for a star, but a virtual one of these objects is the source of the meme 🕹 "L is Real 2401" from Super Mario 64. Mario turns into one of these things when the player presses the down button while equipped with the Tanooki Suit. For 10 points, name these (*) objects, the aforementioned Phoenix Wright example being a replica of one created by Auguste Rodin.
ANSWER: a statue [accept Jizo statue; or a sculpture; accept The Thinker] (1)
I have a reputation for writing videogame questions that often focus on development history, technology, obscure hardware, and weird common links. There's definitely going to be some of that stuff in this set but it will be balanced with more straightforward primary clue tossups.

I'm trying to keep the answer line difficulty for this tournament down. But there will be a handful of relatively hard answers and I imagine even some of the stuff I consider easier is going to play hard to the crowd whose retro system of choice is the Xbox 360.

I have approximately two packets written. I expect this will probably get finished in early 2024 but we'll see. It will be run as an online event.

If you're interested in writing some RPG questions for this set, please let me know. There will probably be some in here even without any freelance contributions but ideally I can find someone who actually enjoys this genre.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cheynem
Sin

Re: MoNintendo Tournament - 2024

Post by Cheynem »

Mike has said he doesn't really want the commission money for this, but assuming the set is completed, is run, and I play it, I'll donate the money to a charity of his choice.

(However, as this is a Mike Bentley video game tournament, I also expect to score like 3 PPG.)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Woody
Lulu

Post by Woody »

This sounds like a ton of fun, I look forward to playing this and being humbled by how little I actually know
Jimmy Dunn
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl 2004-2009
Michigan State University 2009-2013
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl Coach 2017-present
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

I am pleased.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'm getting reasonably close to having 7 packets of this written. There's still a lot of editing and cutting to do but it likely won't be all that much in the future when I hold the online mirror of this set.
Mike Bentley
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Next week?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

This tournament is now mostly finished. I'm posting a separate thread for an online mirror. Happy for anyone to do an in-person mirror but realistically with a set this niche I'd be surprised if those happen. I will probably not release the questions publicly for a while to see if I can drum up some interest in a second mirror among a mostly new-to-quizbowl crowd into retro gaming.
Mike Bentley
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Is there a rough distribution or anything of the sort?
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

The Ununtiable Twine wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:39 pm Is there a rough distribution or anything of the sort?
Not really. I tried to take a reasonably broad approach. I'm sure some of my own biases will show up in the final distribution compared to how others writers would approach this set. But I did make more of an effort than in some of my previous videogame sets to have a mix of topics and type of clues so that this tournament can be reasonably representative of how I view the impact of these systems.
Mike Bentley
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Distributions are for suckers!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota