Satellite: Planetfall Jr (Regs-minus, Available Fall 2024)

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Satellite: Planetfall Jr (Regs-minus, Available Fall 2024)

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Hello everyone,

I am pleased to announce a regular minus difficulty set, Satellite: Planetfall Jr, available Fall 2024, written and head-edited by me, with contributions from the USN quizbowl team.

SET DETAILS:
In a change from my previous work, this set is designed to be somewhere between SCOP Novice/A-set difficulty and HS regular/IS-set difficulty. Questions will be short (between 400 and 450 characters) and powermarked.

Each packet will consist of 21 tossups and 21 three-part bonuses, distributed as follows:

4/4 Literature (1/1 each of American Lit, European, World, and Commonwealth)
4/4 History (1/1 each American, European, World, and Ancient/Other)
4/4 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Other Science)
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Classical Music, 1/1 Painting/Sculpture, 1/1 Other Fine Arts)
3/3 RMPSS (1/1 Religion, 1/1 Mythology, 0.5/0.5 Philosophy, 0.5/0.5 Social Science)
1/1 Geography
1/1 Pop Culture
1/1 Current Events

EDITORS:
Eric Mukherjee (Everything)
(It will be extensively playtested)

LOGISTICS AND MIRRORING:
There will be 12 packets of 21/21 each (though I may write a 13th if the Nashville mirror needs it/your mirror is contingent on having it) at $17/team. If you mirror our tournament, I expect you to have statistics posted within a week of your tournament happening. If you are capable of providing advanced statistics, like TJSheets, HillSheets, or MODAQ, or will share electronic scoresheets with us, we will cut your mirror fee to $15/team.

The set will be available from September 1st, 2024 until a few days before the 2025 HSNCT at the latest.

If you would like to mirror this tournament, please get in contact with me (Eric Mukherjee) at [email protected]

PLAYTESTING:
If you have graduated from high school and would be willing to playtest this set, please send an email to me [email protected] with the subject line “Satellite playtesting”. Your input would be both helpful and valuable.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation