Waterloo Presents: HONK! (Summer 2024)

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
jcubilla
Kimahri

Waterloo Presents: HONK! (Summer 2024)

Post by jcubilla »

Hey y’all! I’m beyond excited to announce HONK! (Housewrite On Nonacademic Knowledge!), a pop culture housewrite written by members of the University of Waterloo quizbowl club! We’re aiming for the difficulty of this set to fall in a range between ACRONYM and Super ACRONYM and are intent on writing with a zoomer-ish college-aged audience in mind.

I will be serving as head editor and I’ll be graciously helped out by a number of category editors that currently include Jared He, Mattias Ehatamm, James Ah Yong, Jacob Bicol, Zachary Bernstein, Daniel Silverberg, and Akash Narshana. Several of our writers and editors have previously contributed questions to recent academic tournaments and some have also served as writers on a Waterloo-created sports set.

We’re taking a lot of inspiration from ACRONYM’s current distribution with a few minor modifications as follows:

4/4 Movies (2/2 2015-present, 2/2 Older)
4/4 Music (1/1 each for Pop, Rap/R&B, Rock, and Other/Misc)
4/4 Small Screen (1.5/1.5 TV: 2015-Present TV, 1/1 Older TV, 1.5/1.5 Web)
4/4 Sports (.75/.75 Football, .75/.75 Baseball, .75/.75 Basketball, 1.75/1.75 Other/Misc.)
1/1 Video Games
0.5/0.5 Trash Lit
0.5/0.5 Musicals
2/2 Other/Misc.

We’re aiming to pump out at least 10 power-marked sets of 20/20 by mid-June, and intend on playtesting around late June / early July. Assuming we meet our writing/editing/playtesting goals by these dates, we ideally plan for this set to be ready to play by around late July / early August!

Our hope is to run this tournament for the Canadian circuit this summer (pending enough interest) before opening to other mirrors. I’ll update this thread closer to these dates when we’re better able to confirm these dates.
Jessie Cubilla

University of Waterloo ('25)
Dalhousie University (eventually)