"Almost Dewey" State Invit. (CANCELLED) @ Truman S

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

"Almost Dewey" State Invit. (CANCELLED) @ Truman S

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:23 pm

I'm here to announce the "Almost Dewey" State Invitational, which will be held at Truman State University on October 13, 2007.

The format will be NAQT with powers and negs, untimed with 20 tossups and accompanying bonuses, although the questions will be house-written by Truman ACO members.

I saw one tournament already announced so I figured I would go ahead on this one.

More info will come later with pricing, etc. Look for this to be a very cheap tournament and we will be negotiable on the prices since Kirksville isn't really the most desirous place to come.

Also, since WUHSAC has been able to get teams from other states to come and MSHSAA has apparently said this is OK, this tournament is open to Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas... anybody willing to drive to Kirksville pretty much.

ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:04 pm

Here is the pricing:

$50 for first team
$40 for all subsequent teams
$-5 per buzzer set
$-10 per 100 miles over 150 miles travelled, as determined by google maps.

$30 minimum.

Additionally, there will be a $10 surcharge for every team who wants copies of the packets used.

We are willing to be flexible with prices for teams that need to pay for overnight lodging or would like to come to the tournament but cannot afford to.

Team cap is tentatively set at 24 teams.

-Christopher Stone, TD
Last edited by ecks on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:29 pm

I'm a loser.. I know .. .but I can't fix it. This is the second thread title I've screwed up. I guess I should have let you do it.

Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma » Wed May 30, 2007 6:50 pm

I just wanted to bump this thread to the top. We now have PACE affiliation so if you want to qualify early for the 2008 PACE NCT, the top 2 teams at this tournament will qualify and if we get 20 teams, the first 4 teams will qualify. We are looking to bring in some quality competition so if there is any remote chance of your team considering this, feel free to e-mail me at kentb426@gmail.com for more info.

Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:39 pm

I think it would be very interesting if we were to have a mirror of this tournament in the DC area.

Are there any teams that would be willing to hold a tournament with a max of 10 rounds of 20 questions with bonuses? The can't comment on the overall difficulty of the questions at this time but they will be difficult on a Missouri standard.

The goal of having an East Coast mirror would obviously be to show Missouri coaches that the questions we use are NOT too hard and that the powerhouses on the East Coast can put up good numbers on them.

Just email me if you are interested. The date is 10/13/07 so it might be too late to have a mirror this semester but I guess just let me know if this is a good idea in theory ?

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:43 pm

Obviously, I'll keep my options open for Patriot Games or similar tournament setup if no one else in DC wants to claim a mirror. I have to see about doing a fall semester mirror though... my schedule is unbelievably booked already with actual work conferences.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:15 am

Any field update yet? I for one am pumped.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:42 pm

NKC
Cape Notre Dame
Scotland County
and a bunch of interested teams... none of which are confirmed yet to my knowledge ... I will update when I have a real list cuz right now, it is just speculative

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:12 pm

Kent, I just sent you an email list.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:38 pm

From the Missouri board. I'm bolding the part that gets me particularly frustrated.
Due to lack of teams, we have been forced to postpone the tournament til spring.

Most of the feedback we got said that teams had not started practicing yet and that we should wait until later when they had gotten going. I wanted to have the tourney early thinking that we would not be in conflict with other events but apparently that wasn't even the problem with that date.

I will be posting a new announcement for this tournament soon.
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:22 am

Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:21 pm

Mr. Chuck, this tournament was cancelled, so there is nothing to post.