2008 TJIAT (10/18/08) at TJHSST

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cvdwightw
Auron

Re: 2008 TJIAT (10/18/08) at TJHSST

Post by cvdwightw »

Robbie Ram wrote:And finally, the "games played" for Elaine and Thomas don't add up correctly; admittedly, math isn't my strong point-- but I'm pretty sure that 1.0 + 1.0 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 1.0 = 5.0 (not 5.1), and 1.0 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 3.0 (not 2.9), as listed on their player detail tables. In fact, I'm also pretty sure that each of them played exactly half of all seven prelim games... but I may have to go back and check my own score sheets on that.
I haven't checked and seen the stats, but if this was a timed tournament, then it makes perfect sense. SQBS calculates "games played" by ((tossups heard)/(total tossups heard)) * (games). Therefore it's possible that although your players alternated halves, one of them heard more tossups than the other, hence the illusory "two halves don't make a full game" phenomenon.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

cvdwightw wrote:
Robbie Ram wrote:And finally, the "games played" for Elaine and Thomas don't add up correctly; admittedly, math isn't my strong point-- but I'm pretty sure that 1.0 + 1.0 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 1.0 = 5.0 (not 5.1), and 1.0 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 3.0 (not 2.9), as listed on their player detail tables. In fact, I'm also pretty sure that each of them played exactly half of all seven prelim games... but I may have to go back and check my own score sheets on that.
I haven't checked and seen the stats, but if this was a timed tournament, then it makes perfect sense. SQBS calculates "games played" by ((tossups heard)/(total tossups heard)) * (games). Therefore it's possible that although your players alternated halves, one of them heard more tossups than the other, hence the illusory "two halves don't make a full game" phenomenon.
OK, that makes sense. But shouldn't the stats for each round reflect that? In other words, if Elaine heard 12 questions in a round and Thomas heard 8 in the same round, shouldn't their individual stats for that round indicate "0.6" and "0.4" games played, respectively?
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Robbie Ram wrote:OK, that makes sense. But shouldn't the stats for each round reflect that? In other words, if Elaine heard 12 questions in a round and Thomas heard 8 in the same round, shouldn't their individual stats for that round indicate "0.6" and "0.4" games played, respectively?
I went back to the "source material" to find the problem.

Only in two half-games did they hear different numbers of tossups.

Against Churchill B, Elaine heard 10 tossups and Thomas heard 9. 10/19 ~= .53 which SQBS rounds to .5 in the report. 9/19 ~= .47 which SQBS rounds to .5 in the report.

Against Walter Johnson, Elaine heard 9 tossups and Thomas heard 8. 9/17 ~= .53 which SQBS rounds to .5 in the report. 8/17 ~= .47 which SQBS rounds to .5 in the report.

But when SQBS takes total games, Elaine heard 0.53+0.53 ~= 1.06 games, which SQBS rounds to 1.1 in the report, while Thomas heard 0.47+0.47 ~= 0.94 games, which SQBS rounds to 0.9 in the report.

Hope that makes sense.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Allez Cuisine
Lulu

Post by Allez Cuisine »

Full Stats: attached :-p

I apologize for the ridiculous delay in posting these stats and promise that I will never allow it to happen again while I am tournament director. I need to point out that there *are* scoresheets missing (I dunno what some of our scorekeepers did to them after *not* filling them in completely). Also, as the card system was used for the consolation bracket, the few scoresheets lacking the appropriate header (i.e. without a round number on it) had rounds assigned to them by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. If there are any questions, complaints, comments, or if you just want to talk about your day, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

again, my humble apologies

--g
Attachments
TJIAT Full Stats.zip
Finally
(74.82 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Greyson Lewis
Terry Jermaine's Hasidic School for Sarcasm and Theocracy '10
Tournament Director
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Prelim stats and full stats are now online.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food