08-09 College Quizbowl Prediction Thread

Old college threads.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I'm not going to do any team-ranking predictions, but I will predict the following:

1. Dartmouth will not finish in the top 3 at ACF Nats or ICT, but will beat one of the top three at at least one of those tournaments.
2. Brown will not win ICT. Needing to beat Minnesota in round 12 to stay in the hunt for the final, Mount Vinokurov explodes after the second half begins with three consecutive tossups on Sherlock Holmes - Appian Way - Hymenoptera. A late 45 points when the tournament's 1/1 comic books come in the same tossup-bonus cycle puts Brown within striking distance, but the 15 seconds Rob Carson wasted yelling "BEEEEEEEES" during that three-tossup stretch proves too much to overcome.
3. Eric Nielsen's vow to never play quizbowl again (uttered during the 2005 ICT) will continue, proving the exception to whichever of the Weiner's Laws is about people retiring.
4. I will do at least one incredibly stupid thing during a tournament or in its aftermath, then publicly berate myself for it. Note that "incredibly stupid thing" includes inexplicably exploding in a vitriolic rage.
5. Charles Meigs will discover yet another quizbowler's embarrassing online history.
6. At least one person will lose his fantasy matchup through his own tournament performance.
7. At least one person will (accidentally or intentionally) crash a real high school prom instead of (or in addition to) going to ACF Nationals Prom. According to the law of unintended consequences, Richard Reid will use this as the source material for a romantic comedy that propels quizbowl into the spotlight and allows CBI to return from suspension.
8. Every tournament will start late and end late. Someone will complain.
9. Someone else will take Willie Chen's prize for Most Half-Baked EFT Commentary.
10. Someone will misguidedly attempt to break Dan Leifer's record(?) for most negs in a match, and still fail to win the neg prize.
11. At least one formerly-CBI only team will give the NAQT IS IMPOSSIBLE argument.
12. MSHSAA will bizarrely assume jurisdiction of ACF Nationals 2009 and attempt to have it run on Questions Galore questions. An angry mob drives down to burn MSHSAA headquarters. According to the law of unintended consequences, Richard Reid will use this as the source material for a "docudrama" that propels quizbowl further into the spotlight and allows CBI to regain its former foothold on the quizbowl-ignorant College Bowl circuit.
13. At least one freshman in the Northeast will convert to Mukherjudaism.
14. A trash tournament will contain a meta question on FUNN, written in the style of FUNN questions.
15. Charlie Dees, Shantanu Jha, Michael Wright, and Dallas Simons will form an open team named RETURN OF THE BEAST FROSH. According to the law of unintended consequences, Richard Reid will use this as the source material for a quizbowl-themed horror series that propels quizbowl to national prominence and gives him the influence to allow CBI to finally copyright the tossup/bonus format.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
grapesmoker
Sin

Re:

Post by grapesmoker »

cvdwightw wrote: 2. Brown will not win ICT.
Way to go out on a limb there, Nostradamus.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re:

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

cvdwightw wrote:9. Someone else will take Willie Chen's prize for Most Half-Baked EFT Commentary.
Oh, no, Dwight, it was completely baked.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
LOLSTRADAMUS
Kimahri

Re: 08-09 College Quizbowl Prediction Thread

Post by LOLSTRADAMUS »

I SEE WE ARE DOING FUNNIES IN THIS THREAD I LIKE I CAN DO FUNNIES.

1) Andrew Yaphe keeps kids off lawn.

2) Mike Sorice voice low, used to have long hair.

3) Fantasy quizbowl amirite.

4) Eric Mukherjee talked about much.

5) LOL BEES