NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
User avatar
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron
Posts: 2075
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Winnebago, IL

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:58 am

Re: Nationals - at the moment, this tournament is PACE-affiliated and not NAQT affiliated (compare to Decemberist, which was both). With the 20 team field, the top four teams - New Trier, Auburn A, Maine South, Buffalo Grove - qualified for the PACE NSC, as described in threads all over the National Championships forum here. We expect that, like The Decemberist, this tournament will be certified Gold Standard, meaning two additional places - Loyola A and St. Viator - will also qualify for PACE NSC. This ruling will come within the next few days as the PACE committee in charge considers the next batch of finished tournaments for certification.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)

Dan-Don
Yuna
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Dan-Don » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Aub-ZH wrote:
DD60004 wrote:Yeah...I really wanna go. But I'm not so sure this finish qualifies us, as I was told. How much do nationals cost?
Maybe I'm dumb, but it's in the hundreds. From my understanding, this wouldn't have been an NAQT qualifier, but it very well could have been a PACE qualifier. PACE is the one you want more, but it's out east (I believe George Mason), so you also factor in hotel and airfare. If you guys qualify, Draft up a real nice proposal to your AD.
'
Yikes. Well there's no way Viator is gonna even foot part of that bill (the football team might need new equipment this week). But my teammates are the children of a dentist, M.D., and ophthalmologist. So if we do get permission, we should have no trouble drumming up some funds.
styxman wrote:Re: Nationals - at the moment, this tournament is PACE-affiliated and not NAQT affiliated (compare to Decemberist, which was both). With the 20 team field, the top four teams - New Trier, Auburn A, Maine South, Buffalo Grove - qualified for the PACE NSC, as described in threads all over the National Championships forum here. We expect that, like The Decemberist, this tournament will be certified Gold Standard, meaning two additional places - Loyola A and St. Viator - will also qualify for PACE NSC. This ruling will come within the next few days as the PACE committee in charge considers the next batch of finished tournaments for certification.
Well, keep me posted. I'm anxious to find out if this does get certified Gold Standard. When are stats gonna go up?
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT

User avatar
BGSO
Tidus
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Champaign-Urbana and Arlington heights IL
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by BGSO » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:09 pm

The stats are kind of messed up right now, and I think Kristen and Brad are at the IHSSBCA meeting, so I would just go out and say sometime this week they will be up.
David Garb-
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UIUC-'13

Former member of the most dysfunctional scholastic bowl team in Illinois.
(11:23:30 PM) garb: Wait, are you talking about the porn or the reeses?

User avatar
Charley Pride
Rikku
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Charley Pride » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:13 pm

dentist, M.D., and ophthalmologist.


Awesome...I love prosperity. I'd love to see five or six teams from Illinois at PACE.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014

Dan-Don
Yuna
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Dan-Don » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:29 pm

BGSO wrote:The stats are kind of messed up right now
How so?
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT

User avatar
TheDoctor
Rikku
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by TheDoctor » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:48 pm

Because of the question change, the tournament only leads into PACE Nats. The top four teams (New Trier, Auburn A, Maine South, BG) qualified, but the next two (Loyola A, Viator) will also qualify if we get gold certification from PACE. We fully anticipate this happening.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder

User avatar
TheDoctor
Rikku
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by TheDoctor » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:52 pm

DD60004 wrote:
BGSO wrote:The stats are kind of messed up right now
How so?
Things happened in the afternoon. Most of those things involve a certain lack of scoresheets because of printing issues at the school, and some of them involve my computer crashing and destroying the world (and my school internet connection :cry: ). Basically, we don't have afternoon individual stats, and some of the games disappeared. We're working to get this fixed, and will post the adjusted stats later this week.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder

Byko
Auron
Posts: 1039
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:54 pm
Location: Edgewater, MD

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/7/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Byko » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:26 pm

TheDoctor wrote:
DD60004 wrote:
BGSO wrote:The stats are kind of messed up right now
How so?
Things happened in the afternoon. Most of those things involve a certain lack of scoresheets because of printing issues at the school, and some of them involve my computer crashing and destroying the world (and my school internet connection :cry: ). Basically, we don't have afternoon individual stats, and some of the games disappeared. We're working to get this fixed, and will post the adjusted stats later this week.
I certainly understand your situation, so I don't want to sound like I'm being pushy. Having said that, if you happen to get stats up by Tuesday night, we could do a great service to teams in Illinois by having more data available for teams to go into their IHSA seeding meetings with on Wednesday (plus I can enter them in my ratings system to offer them as well). Again, it's just a thought, and I know it's a lot easier for me to say it from, well, several states away from Illinois.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship

User avatar
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 am
Location: Lowell, IN
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:06 pm

I just wanted to throw in that this was an amazing tournament; everyone was a joy to work with, there were no complaints that I heard, not to mention to fantastic finish. Congrats to everyone involved, and here's to doing this again next year for sure.
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator

User avatar
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron
Posts: 2075
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Winnebago, IL

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:30 pm

Yep - the nice thing is that I believe the main corruption lies in individual scores (and as a result, bonus conversion), so raw scores for the Byko rankings will work. We should have game scores available by tomorrow night at the latest.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)

User avatar
BGSO
Tidus
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Champaign-Urbana and Arlington heights IL
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by BGSO » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Dresden The Moderator wrote:I just wanted to throw in that this was an amazing tournament; everyone was a joy to work with, there were no complaints that I heard, not to mention to fantastic finish. Congrats to everyone involved, and here's to doing this again next year for sure.
I agree with BJ 100% especially considering the bad number of teams (20). I thought the tourney ran very smooth and the set HSAPQ provided was excellent as I expected. Thank you Brad and Kristen for once again putting on a great tournament and I hope to see you guys next year.
David Garb-
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UIUC-'13

Former member of the most dysfunctional scholastic bowl team in Illinois.
(11:23:30 PM) garb: Wait, are you talking about the porn or the reeses?

User avatar
Charley Pride
Rikku
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Charley Pride » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:49 pm

In a season filled with great tournaments, this one was one of the best, and I congratulate Kristen and Brad on their success as the most prolific hosts/writers for this season. I wish it could have ended differently, but Huskie Bowl was a winner.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014

David Riley
Auron
Posts: 1428
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:27 am
Location: Morton Grove, IL

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by David Riley » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:24 am

Second everything that's been said.....great tournament, great questions; things ran smoothly. A special thanks for reviving this tournament.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"

User avatar
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron
Posts: 2075
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Winnebago, IL

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:26 am

Yeah stats!

http://results.scobo.net/resultmenu.aspx?org=NIU&id=3

Note - we've still got some problems with them. Here's the list of issues we know about - if you can fix them, post in this thread and I'll get to it when I've got internet access to do it. Same thing if you see an issue not on this list.

Maine South - who went 0/1/0 in round 7?
Who got a neg in round 10?
What were the stats for Lisle-Byron in round 6?
Any other missing or erroneous stats?
Last edited by Irreligion in Bangladesh on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)

Dan-Don
Yuna
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Dan-Don » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:27 am

styxman wrote:Yeah stats!

http://results.scobo.net/resultmenu.aspx?org=NIU&id=3

Note - we've still got some problems with them. Here's the list of issues we know about - if you can fix them, post in this thread and I'll get to it when I've got internet access to do it. Same thing if you see an issue not on this list.

Maine South - who went 0/1/0 in round 7?
Who got a neg in round 10?
Auburn A - What were the stats in Round 6 against St. Viator?
Who went 1/0/0 in round 7?
St. Viator - What were the stats in Round 6 against Auburn A?
Who did what in round 10 against Maine South? The four players went 1/1/2, 0/3/0, 1/0/1, 0/2/1, but we don't know who got what.
What were the stats for Lisle-Byron in round 6?
Any other missing or erroneous stats?
I'm from Viator and I have the score sheets in front of my computer. I gotta to to school now, then I'm playing after school, then hopefully I'll be able to give you the stats tonight. Any news yet on whether Huskie Bowl has been certified gold standard?
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT

User avatar
Bonito
Lulu
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:49 pm
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Bonito » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:07 am

Round Ten Lisle vs Naper Central I think you switched Greg's and Joe Reeder's stats. Not sure on the Lisle-Byron game though.
Greg Dzuricsko; Lisle 2011

User avatar
JackGlerum
Tidus
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:20 pm

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by JackGlerum » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:26 am

The individual stat line for this tournament certainly catches one's eye. Ben and Siva are in a league of their own. Nobody is surprised to see them at the top, but the powers, good god. It's great for Illinois to have two superstars like these two, and it was a joy to watch the finals. I get more excited to see how they stand up against the best at NSC every time I see them play. Kudos to both of you and I hope to see a repeat performance at Loyburn.

Siverus Snape
Rikku
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:01 pm
Location: Rockford, IL
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Siverus Snape » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:47 am

Well, I'll do my best for you, Jack, but hopefully Auburn's scoring will be a little bit more balanced with Michael back.
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09

User avatar
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am
Location: Camden, DE
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:27 am

Looking at these stats, it finally makes me realize that what is a common occurrence (aside from Maggie Walker and State College and Dorman) out East here is also a phenomenon in the Midwest too... dominant teams that are statistically driven by one person answering 75-90% of the questions.

Balance really is a hard thing to come by, but in a lot of cases it appears not to matter too much.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

User avatar
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 am
Location: Lowell, IN
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:31 am

In Auburn's defense, as Siva said, they were missing one of their top players on Saturday. Normally Michael takes quite a bit of answers from Siva; and to be honest, in the three matches I saw them in, Zahed was a bit more subdued than usual as well.
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator

User avatar
Deviant Insider
Auron
Posts: 4635
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Deviant Insider » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:41 am

New Trier is balanced pretty much every year. This year is the exception rather than the rule, and Saturday was even worse than normal because we were missing some people. Most of the other top teams in Illinois this year (Auburn, Carbondale, Loyola, Stevenson, WWS, Buffalo Grove, Viator) are at least somewhat balanced when their entire team is there. I haven't seen enough of Fremd to know how balanced they are, and Maine South may be similar to New Trier in terms of balance. In the end, balanced teams tend to do better because they can have more meaningful practices and because they tend to be more consistent, but there are exceptions to the rule.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

Dan-Don
Yuna
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston
Contact:

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Dan-Don » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:06 pm

DD60004 wrote:
styxman wrote:Yeah stats!

http://results.scobo.net/resultmenu.aspx?org=NIU&id=3

Note - we've still got some problems with them. Here's the list of issues we know about - if you can fix them, post in this thread and I'll get to it when I've got internet access to do it. Same thing if you see an issue not on this list.

Maine South - who went 0/1/0 in round 7?
Who got a neg in round 10?
Auburn A - What were the stats in Round 6 against St. Viator?
Who went 1/0/0 in round 7?
St. Viator - What were the stats in Round 6 against Auburn A?
Who did what in round 10 against Maine South? The four players went 1/1/2, 0/3/0, 1/0/1, 0/2/1, but we don't know who got what.
What were the stats for Lisle-Byron in round 6?
Any other missing or erroneous stats?
I'm from Viator and I have the score sheets in front of my computer. I gotta to to school now, then I'm playing after school, then hopefully I'll be able to give you the stats tonight. Any news yet on whether Huskie Bowl has been certified gold standard?
Round 6 vs. Auburn A (L 320-155)
Player/+15/+10/-5
Dan/0/4/0
Sean/1/0/0
Jeff/0/0/0
Richard/0/1/0

Round 10 vs. Maine South
Player/+15/+10/+5
Dan/1/1/2
Sean/0/3/0
Richard/1/0/1
Jeff/0/2/1
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT

User avatar
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron
Posts: 2075
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Winnebago, IL

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Stats are updated, same link above. Still looking for Byron-Lisle in Round 6 and the Maine South corrections. Thanks to all who have helped out so far!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)

User avatar
TheDoctor
Rikku
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl - 2/14/09 - Dekalb, IL

Post by TheDoctor » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:25 am

Hooray! We're gold certified! Congratulations to Loyola and St. Viator, who now qualify for PACE Nationals!
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder

Locked